trunk trim and spare tire

picklesgarage

Reaction score
86 5th Ave
cleaning up the car since i have the time. didnt really do anything with the trunk when i first bought it so figured now was a good time. seems like im missing a bunch of trim most importantly the trim over the taillight wiring. also have no idea how the spare or at least the tools should be secured. im guessing in the rim? the other thing is the cover supposed to fit and cover completely the spare? what i have is a full size and to be honest the cover seems like its for a donut.

trunkleft.jpg

trunktaillight.jpg

trunright.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The tail light wiring is a cardboard cover with black carpeting on it. Very easy for them to get beat up over time. You are also missing the black carpeting over the trunk hinge area.

The spare tire goes on the back shelf upside down with the jack and handle in it. It was common for people to replace the compact spare with a full size one so your cover could well be the wrong size.
Here's a pic from online of the trunk.

trunk.jpg

picklesgarage

Reaction score
Mikes5thAve thanks.
Didn't know it was cardboard, would have thought plastic like most others. That picture is not very helpful on the side pieces. Wonder if anyone has a good picture of one in and out. Some how have two trunk carpets maybe I could make them

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
These are pictures taken from my '86 Fifth Ave (just now). All pictures are showing the Right trunk area – except for last two.

20200409_124715r.jpg

The underside of the tire cover (this one is a full size spare.

20200409_124744r.jpg

The red arrows show the carpet that goes over the wheel well (not sure what it is called). This is a separate piece from the trunk pan carpet.

20200409_124749r.jpg

Cardboard (or whatever) liner. This part usually has a spot, or two, of glue to hold it in place.
In this case, the gray on lower portion of it is mold. I keep my cars outside and a heavy rain will allow water to get into trunk (past weatherstripping?) and collect in those side pockets.

20200409_124804r.jpg

The piece missing covering the taillight wiring is one piece. It uses the same cardboard material but has carpet on it.
20200409_124811r.jpg

There is a tongue that goes into a slot on side cardboard (or whatever material its made of).

This cardboard I took out of of a car at a Pull-a-Part. This piece is for the Left side. I only got it so I could use it for a template to make a new one.
20200409_124925r.jpg

The slot showing there the rearmost tongue goes into.
20200409_124932r.jpg

This item also has water damage to it.

I hope this also helps.
BudW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Oddly enough the 70s ones had carpet glued to the rear quarter panels instead of the big cardboard pieces and it looked nicer.
I want to make those out of the plastic cardboard either painted black or black vinyl on it. that should hold but better then the original stuff, especially when it gets wet.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen sheets of corrugated plastic that might hold up better. Not played with any, yet.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Aspen500, what are those panels made out of (or your best guess, if not sure)?

picklesgarage

Reaction score
thanks guys. didn't know i was missing that much. i'll need to make up a piece for the taillights before putting the vehicle into service full time. are all the trunk linings black? are they all the same between 5ths, Grands, and Dippys?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There are different levels of trunk dress-up kits.
Most (but not all) Fifth Ave's got the more complete dress-up kit. I have seen some police cars that came with the trunk pan carpet only. Also seen are those in-between the two – so not looked into the different levels of dress-up kits but suspect there is three different levels and maybe more.
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Aspen500, what are those panels made out of (or your best guess, if not sure)?
I'd say the panels are some sort of press board(?) Appears to be multiple layers (maybe 20 or so) of a paper material compressed and glued. Sort of half way between cardboard and Masonite. It's very similar to the factory backing on the door trim panels but a bit tougher an stronger. It says waterproof but I'd think it's more like water resistant. Although, I had a scrap piece setting against the wall of the garage a couple years ago, when I had the flood and it didn't seem to affect it at all, other than discoloring. You cut it with a utility knife, scoring 3 or 4 times.

Their website is kind of confusing, like where it says "For 2 sheets add $30". IIRC, that means 2 sheets are $30 plus shipping. At any rate, I've got things from them half a dozen times over the years and never had an issue. On carpet and foam backed headliner material , the shipping was kind of pricey (probably due to the dimensions of the box, specifically the length) but, what are you going to do?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I've never seen anything but the full package in 5th Avenues. Sometimes the sides missing or the tail light covers once the cars were getting older but probably more from someone throwing them out when they got water logged or too lazy to put them back in.

AHB cars wouldn't usually come with the wheel cover and some of the other stuff.

This now has me interested in trying to duplicate those side panels in something water proof.. too bad you can't get into stores around here now to check anything out.

MoparDan

Reaction score
There are different levels of trunk dress-up kits.
Most (but not all) Fifth Ave's got the more complete dress-up kit. I have seen some police cars that came with the trunk pan carpet only. Also seen are those in-between the two – so not looked into the different levels of dress-up kits but suspect there is three different levels and maybe more.
BudW
All 4 of my M-bodies all have had the exact same carpet and trim in the trunk: two Fifth Avenues, a Diplomat SE, and my current Gran Fury. On one of the Fifths the spare tire cover only covered the top of the tire, so I'm assuming it originally had the compact spare, there was also no mention of a full size spare on the Fury's window sticker (see picture) so it would seem like the spare was also originally a compact, however it had a full size spare cover and a Goodyear Arriva tire with a really thick white wall (the factory tire these cars came with) so maybe the dealer installed it to help sell the car or maybe the original owner had them install it? I did once look at a Gran Fury which had no trunk carpet or anything, it also didn't appear to have any options whatsoever; no a/c, no right side mirror, or remote left side mirror, nothing but an AM radio with one dash speaker. The option really is called Trunk Dress Up (once again see picture)

window sticker close up.jpg

Last edited:

picklesgarage

Reaction score
im thinking i have the wrong jack and wrench. i was unable to get them to secure in the spare. maybe im just doing something wrong. anyone have a picture how it should all fit together? i have a full size spare.

picklesgarage

Reaction score
thank you MoparDan. i'll have to give it a try again in the morning. is there anything under the jack? like a plate that centers the rod on the rim or does it go thru one of the stud holes?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no plate. The spare goes (roughly centered) on the stud, then next is the scissor jack, the jack handle then the large nut. If you have one, then the black carpet cover goes on top. I thought my car had a sticker on the trunk lid – but looked and found nothing.

If you want a plate, I see no reason why one can't be made. Once the wingnut is tight, its not moving.

These are from my '84 Parts Manual:
84 PM pg 22-765a.png

84 PM pg 22-765b.png

BudW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I thought my car had a sticker on the trunk lid – but looked and found nothing.

There is supposed to be sticker but is one of those ones that is is made out of paper and has glue like a postage stamp so they end up coming apart or falling off.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I should have re-worded that to say there "was" a sticker on there many moons ago, but now there is "nuttin".

Back