TTI W2 1-7/8" primary tubes in our rides?

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Folks,

I'm about to plunk a boat-load of cash on these headers...part of my stroker W2 build. Was originaly going to stay with 1-5/8" primary tubes but vast majority of advice I received suggested that I simply move-on to the bigger tubes...and well, given the price these things fetch I'm not looking to have to re-do this purchase ever again! lol

So...I'm curious, who's tossed these (or the 1-5/8" tubes) into our rides? How was the fit?

I have Hooker 1-5/8" pipes right now, no problems, they have served me well, they were thermal barrier coated inside and out before being put on the car.

Oh, any chance we get some kind of club discount with TTI?

9secRR

Reaction score
How much power are you shooting for? I would use 1-5/8 stepped to 1-3/4 header to 600 hp.

I was over 650 hp in the black car so I went 1-7/8.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
1 7/8" header is a large tube for even a big block street motor. Unless your turning some crazy rpm why do you need such a large tube?

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
All good questions guys...like I said, this was based on the feedback I got. Had a separate post a while back on Moparts about tube sizing in general, just about all the guys who replied said their ride went faster with the bigger pipes. Not talking mega blocks, sky-high RPMs either, nor where all these 1/4 mile racers either.

So since their real-world experience was positive it highly suggested that I should consider something like that as well.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I only use 2" on my 500 ", you can go to big on header tubes.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Smiles.
I’ve only had one car with headers on it (’69 Road Runner 383) and they were rusted out/beat up, bad, so they didn’t stay in car long (more like crumbled off the car) – so, my experience with headers is limited (other than working on customers cars).

I can’t comment if 2” is too big or not, so I was wanting to clarify for others. It sounds like it might be too big, but I’m going to perform a shoulder shrug.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
There's is a video on engine masters about header size and performance, where they dyno headers of three different diameter and compare the numbers. The engine is a snoty 383 sbc that makes 450 ish horse power. I believe the tube size was 1 5/8", 1 3/4", 1 7/8", the two smaller sizes were identical in power with the largest falling off by a substantial amount. The large tube looses the savaging effect helping pull the spent gasses out of the combustion chamber. So to small it better than to large as far as headers go.
The video is now on motor trend on demand and it takes a subscription that I don't have so I can't post a link.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
On another episode they run a motor and put dents in the headers like you might have to do installing them in your car. They start off mild and get crazy with the dents only to find out that they really don't hurt power.

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve wondered about dents and kinks in headers. Most of the ones I’ve worked on had to have dents (sometimes major dents) to keep from burning up spark plug wires, clearing steering linkage and/or road damage.

I also know that air expands when hot and contracts when cold – which is why on most “stock” exhaust, the tail pipe (over rear axle) is smaller than the mid-pipe.
BudW

Locomotion

Reaction score
You're around the mid-point between the 2 sizes. But not being race only, I would lean on the conservative side since the engine will be spending most of its time in the lower rpm ranges and your converter and gear probably aren't maxed out. I did have 1 7/8" headers on a W-2 Challenger, but it was race only and weighed around 2,850 lbs w/driver.

I have TTI 1 5/8"-1 3/4" step headers on my Dart Sport and an Aspen wagon with Stock class 360s. The Aspen headers also fit E-body and are one piece. (A-body versions have a separate #7 tube to go around the frame.) The Dart has LA-X heads and has run a best of 11.14 @ 117 mph @ 3,540 lbs, so their step headers are pretty versatile. They perform like 1 3/4" headers despite starting at 1 5/8". TTI also has a variety of other benefits including easier installation & fit, no 90* adapter needed, plug clearance, no low hanging tubes and fit around Milodon 8qt pans.

Hope that helps.

Back