Turn Signal Switch not functioning correctly

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
The 77 LeBaron's turn signal switch is very slow to not flashing on the left turn side , on the right it is OK . I just took out the rear left tail light housing and cleaned them and replaced all connections correctly. Or is it just time to replace the switch and if so is it difficult I see they are very cheap online . Or does the switch just need a good cleaning ?

Last edited:

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Many people don't know this about early American cars: The turn signal system is designed to not-flash when one or more bulbs are not working. It's right there in your manual. A lot of people who don't know this often mis-diagnose the problem as a bad flasher. Off they go to the parts store to buy a universal flasher -- which will flash whether all the lights work or not. Check every bulb -- I'll bet you'll find that one of the two-element bulbs will have one of them blown. Once you replace, your problem will go away.

Capture.JPG

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Oh -- And that whole "lane change" thing where you press lightly to flash your signal a couple of times, and then release.. That was an added-cost option in the 70s and early 80's. My Cordoba doesn't have "Lane Change" -- and I totally miss it. I have to totally engage the turn-signal stalk engage the signals... And then un-click it back to the middle when I'm done. Obviously, it's not that big of a deal, but I'd prefer to have that option.

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
Many people don't know this about early American cars: The turn signal system is designed to not-flash when one or more bulbs are not working. It's right there in your manual. A lot of people who don't know this often mis-diagnose the problem as a bad flasher. Off they go to the parts store to buy a universal flasher -- which will flash whether all the lights work or not. Check every bulb -- I'll bet you'll find that one of the two-element bulbs will have one of them blown. Once you replace, your problem will go away.

View attachment 20306
I will double check the bulbs . I did remove the left tail lights to clean the inside of the lenses and removed the bulbs and cleaned the connections, and the left ones are either not blinking at all or every 3 or more seconds . They were functioning properly prior to that . Thankyou

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Cool... Make sure to check the front ones, too... Turn on the hazards -- That's the easiest way to spot a bad element in a two-element bulb.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Bulbs, bulbs and bulbs are the number one issue with your complaint.

Ground wires are the second (dirty or loose where they screw onto chassis).

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
Cool... Make sure to check the front ones, too... Turn on the hazards -- That's the easiest way to spot a bad element in a two-element bulb.
How right you are ! The left side bulb turn element was gone , the right side the bulb light was out but the turn signal element functioned, They had to be in there forever they were corroded and the bulb twisted out of the brass housing while I removed it . I did not try the hazards but I will tomorrow. I guess I will replace the entire bulb set in that LeBaron. Anyone know a cheap seller of these bulbs or are they pretty generic ? Thanks Again M body experts !

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
By the way how many turn signal bulbs are on a 1977 Lebaron ? 8 ?

Justwondering

Reaction score
I buy them by the box at oreilly's.
I think there are 8 or 10 in the box.
They keep them behind the counter.

You can buy only what you need, but I've found that the cost for the packaging of a single or two bulbs almost equals what I pay when I buy them by the box.

I've seen no difference in lifespan between the brand name and the generics or off brand versions.

But, that's just me. Maybe that's average... or maybe I'm above average. Yep, I'm sure that' it... my bulb longevity is above average.
I R Special.... lol

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Justwondering.
I buy bulbs by the box of 10 – which are SO MUCH cheaper than a package of two (for almost the same price). There are four different vehicles in my fleet, that are used daily – so what I have done is purchased a clear bin (I’m guessing 15” x 24” x 12” tall, going by memory) and keep all of my bulb boxes in it.
I also printed off the different bulb numbers on MS Word onto printer paper, and placed 4 different pages into the same box.

When I need to replace a bulb, I grab my bin first, look at my sheet, grab a bulb out and place bin back by garage door shelf.
Then get ‘em replaced.

Headlight bulbs – I have a few in another clear bin – but nothing elaborate about it. I do purchase headlight bulbs in pairs – but keep the spare in box until needed.

Actually, “I” only replace the bad bulb – except for dash cluster bulbs or any that are excessively hard to access.

Bulbs do not all go out at same time (in my opinion) – and I have replaced thousands of them (maybe even more than thousands).

A couple of tips:
- Avoid touching bulbs with bare fingers – for oil from fingers can shorten the lifespan of some bulbs (plus it is harder to push light through fingerprints).
- Get a touch, or bit, of wheel bearing grease and place a thin layer around the bulb base. Most grease will conduct electricity – unless you get dielectric grease (which does not). Most bulbs do use the round base as an electrical conductor (ground) so something there does help with corrosion – but be careful of too much of a good thing can cause a problem.
- Boxes of bulbs are cheaper still, from internet (or from eBay). Matter of fact, some bulbs – you can get Halogen versions (on some bulbs) for about the same price as normal bulbs at an auto parts store.
BudW

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
I agree with Justwondering.
I buy bulbs by the box of 10 – which are SO MUCH cheaper than a package of two (for almost the same price). There are four different vehicles in my fleet, that are used daily – so what I have done is purchased a clear bin (I’m guessing 15” x 24” x 12” tall, going by memory) and keep all of my bulb boxes in it.
I also printed off the different bulb numbers on MS Word onto printer paper, and placed 4 different pages into the same box.

When I need to replace a bulb, I grab my bin first, look at my sheet, grab a bulb out and place bin back by garage door shelf.
Then get ‘em replaced.

Headlight bulbs – I have a few in another clear bin – but nothing elaborate about it. I do purchase headlight bulbs in pairs – but keep the spare in box until needed.

Actually, “I” only replace the bad bulb – except for dash cluster bulbs or any that are excessively hard to access.

Bulbs do not all go out at same time (in my opinion) – and I have replaced thousands of them (maybe even more than thousands).

A couple of tips:
- Avoid touching bulbs with bare fingers – for oil from fingers can shorten the lifespan of some bulbs (plus it is harder to push light through fingerprints).
- Get a touch, or bit, of wheel bearing grease and place a thin layer around the bulb base. Most grease will conduct electricity – unless you get dielectric grease (which does not). Most bulbs do use the round base as an electrical conductor (ground) so something there does help with corrosion – but be careful of too much of a good thing can cause a problem.
- Boxes of bulbs are cheaper still, from internet (or from eBay). Matter of fact, some bulbs – you can get Halogen versions (on some bulbs) for about the same price as normal bulbs at an auto parts store.
BudW
Yes I took your advice and ordered in bulk off the internet (E-BaY) . 10 - 1004's, 10 - 1157NA's, 10 - 1157's, & 4 - 1156's , plus 10 instrument cluster bulbs , and 2 low beam & 2 high beam headlights. The ones that are in there must be factory original or at least over 20 yrs old .

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Light bulbs are light bulbs.
I have not ever seen a life span rating on an automotive bulb (but not looked any harder than bulb packaging, either).
Bulbs die at their own pace and nothing anyone can do about it.

I've even had to replace bulbs on brand new cars – that apparently died in shipment from factory to dealership, before.

Personally, I think it is a waste to replace a still working bulb – for it might still be working in another 40 years (also, my wife calls me cheap – so you can call it however you see it).
It’s your $.

Another tip:
Check your bulbs every 6 months or so, as well as before any long trips – just to keep the unnecessary and unplanned stops by the local police, down.

My 10 year old twins are a great help with in-car bulb checking.
BudW

volare 77

Reaction score
That`s one of the things I generally do when I acquire a old car. I will change the bulbs out just so i know they will be trouble free for a least a while. I try to buy good name brand bulbs. I haven`t had much issue doing it that way.

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
The flashers were the quickest way to spot the defective ones. It was just one flasher element burned out on the left rear . I also have the 2 cornering lamp bulbs out which I guess are supposed to throw a solid continuous light at night when you turn left or right .

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
I Changed out the defective left rear flashing bulb and the burned out right taillight bulb . The turn signals work again ! All is well in LeBaron universe ! The courtesy light bulb that lights the drivers entrance just below the light switch the previous owner had in was the wrong one. So that is working correctly now. The trunk had a Delco 1003 which is wrong according to the owners manual, I put in a 1004 and still no light any clues on this one the wiring and connectors looked good. Will tackle the front lights tomorrow.

Back