two tone 5th ave

HectorVenezula

Reaction score
I recently got my car painted and decided to go 2 tone, but I've been looking at online pictures and It seems like the trim under the opera lights goes farther down on 2 tone models. Does anyone know if they're different types of trim or if its an illusion?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I can’t comment about the two-tone portion of cars (not paid enough attention to that aspect.

All ‘88-89 M-body’s were made at a different assembly plant than the ’87 and older ones were made at – so even though they are “mostly” the same, there are a lot of differences between some parts made between different vehicle assembly plants.

All ’88-89’s was made at the AMC plant in Kenosha, WI (’86?-89).
F and M-body’s before then, were made at St Louis, MO from ’76-87, at Newark, NJ (’77-80?), Hamtramck, MI (’76-80) and Windsor, Ont. (’81-83).

Some things like the rear doors (where the stationary glass and/or cover (for Fifth Ave)) and a few other areas of car, are almost 100% different.

I could be mistaken, but I think all cars with electric exterior mirrors came from Kenosha.
Also heard that the cars from Kenosha used better (rust resistant) steel in the body.
BudW

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Compare the distance between the roof and door handle and the different badge
Different shape too on the rear door vinyl.

ad1b6983fdaed0d2e36cf2f3c2809dc9.png
maxresdefault.jpg

JLN5thAve

Reaction score
Yes the vinyl top is longer on the 88-89.

Another difference is logos on the opera insert- and the interior trim and radio..

The logos on the opera inserts for 87 and earlier is “Fifth Avenue Edition” style, whereas on the 88 it is a diamond style as seen on the hood ornament in a gold wreath much like the 90- Imperial.

Interiors vary as well - my mother had an 87 and my pop had an 88.. I own the 88 and there are things that I remember being different between the two..

Steering Wheel - 87 a rectangle with two horn button bars going out to the rim at roughly 3 and 7 o’clock. 88 - a sorta wedge shape (pre-airbag) (89 has the same as seen in all 90’s Chrysler’s.. From minivan to car to truck, the rectangle with the bland look)

Radio - 87 had a steel looking tape deck with equalizer on the front knobs, and etc. 88 sheer black green lit lcd with push buttons.

Headliner - 87 no computer just a compass I believe. 88 had the overhead computer with Miles to empty, and etc. Still worked on my 88 last time I drove it. Unsure now.

There are a bit more as far as I can remember however I don’t remember that well... been over 20 years since being in an 87..

As for references to the 89, unfortunately I have never seen the inside of an 89, except for online.

MoparDan

Reaction score
In '88 they got rid of the chrome radio, a/c control, and headlight switch, they got rid of the shag carpet, they changed the style of the door panels, they added a recliner on the driver's seat, the headrests were more cushioned, and power mirrors and overhead console were also added

Mr C

Reaction score
88 and 89 had longer vinyl trim on the sides.
As mentioned the longer trim and painted trim around the top started on the 2 tone 5ths (86-87?). Those years there was 2 different treatments as the "normal" 5ths had shorter trim and chrome around the top.

Back