Ultimate sleeper

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I've mentioned it before but I'd build the Sleeper Fifth. Might even put the wire wheels back on just to complete the effect.

My other idea is the sleeper slant six Caravelle.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my ‘86 5th Ave.
Been told by many a friend and family that they knew someone with same color car as this one. Once done, I will leave the wire hubcaps on it for effect.

A big block is already being built for it. I’ll write up a story as the conversion takes place - still gathering parts for the conversion now.
Picture 002.jpg

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
My grandma has a '29 chrysler coupe. hasen't run in 40+ years. I'd love to throw a 426 hemi into that. It wouldn't be a sleeper, just friggin awesome.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I saw a kitted out Chevette a couple of weeks ago on my way home from work. I was in traffic, Chevette was a little bit ahead of me, on the left. I noticed the crackle of the exhaust first, so rolled the windows down. I thought it was one of the (many) hotted up diesels that are common around here, but it really didn't sound like a diesel. Then noticed the 13", maybe 14" fat rubber on the back. I just started giggling. It was such an juxtaposition of a really junky car of my youth, and the crackling V8, and the fat little tires on the back (had a decent rake to it). Good paint (dark red), but no graphics, stripes or flames. I would bet it was very nose heavy, but it would probably cream any ricer easily. I mean the base car probably only weighed maybe 1200 lbs., stuff a V8 into it, even a mild one, and it will GO.

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
While I was at college (about 1985) there was a student who converted a 4 door Chevette to a 2 door (cut the middle 3-4 feet out of the car). The body work was sub-par and you could see the tack welds holding the car together. He had a chevy big block with headers, Nitrous and who knows what else. It was almost as if the front tires were close to touching the rear tires.
WTF is the first thing and last thing your would think of, other than death trap, rolling coffin, etc.

I can understand big block Chevette, but not the needless butcher job on the body. Closest comparison I can think of is taking a BMX bike to serious “finials competition” but first sawing the bike almost in half first.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Not entirely the same as fully blown but...

When I was 17 I worked at a print shop and some Bulgarian dude was always hanging around doing whatever illegal activity and kept trying to sell me his AMC Gemlin. Not sure what year. You know the one. Puny Fastback.

This one had a 304 and a three speed Hurst column shifter.

One day my boss needed to go somewhere in a hurry to pick up an outside job. The only vehicle available was the Gremlin. He couldn't drive a stick. So he walks in the shop and says "Anyone know how to drive a stick. I put my hand up. Away we went.

Now I knew this thing would go and I took it as a combination drive my boss to his destination and a "test drive".

Every set of lights I hammered this thing and it would pin you back in your seat fairly effectively. I couldn't hit third. I think I did it once and that was just kissing i believe about 80 miles per hour on a main drag. Eventually I noticed my boss was gripping the dash for dear life. He eventually lost his shit and said "Where the hell did you get your license???" to which I replied... I don't have one. You asked me if I could drive a stick not if I had a license.

Really cool car.
I didn't buy it.

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Not entirely the same as fully blown but...

When I was 17 I worked at a print shop and some Bulgarian dude was always hanging around doing whatever illegal activity and kept trying to sell me his AMC Gemlin. Not sure what year. You know the one. Puny Fastback.

This one had a 304 and a three speed Hurst column shifter.

One day my boss needed to go somewhere in a hurry to pick up an outside job. The only vehicle available was the Gremlin. He couldn't drive a stick. So he walks in the shop and says "Anyone know how to drive a stick. I put my hand up. Away we went.

Now I knew this thing would go and I took it as a combination drive my boss to his destination and a "test drive".

Every set of lights I hammered this thing and it would pin you back in your seat fairly effectively. I couldn't hit third. I think I did it once and that was just kissing i believe about 80 miles per hour on a main drag. Eventually I noticed my boss was gripping the dash for dear life. He eventually lost his shit and said "Where the hell did you get your license???" to which I replied... I don't have one. You asked me if I could drive a stick not if I had a license.

Really cool car.
I didn't buy it.
Always important to ask the RIGHT questions.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I think currently a mini van would be a good sleeper.
Make it look like a soccer mom's van complete with stick families on the back window.

If I had cash and manpower, a Intrepid would be a decent sleeper platform.
When was the last time you saw a Intrepid road killer?

I saw a Indy motor in a plain Jane Honda Civic.
Looked like your average jellybean on the road.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I think currently a mini van would be a good sleeper.
Make it look like a soccer mom's van complete with stick families on the back window.

If I had cash and manpower, a Intrepid would be a decent sleeper platform.
When was the last time you saw a Intrepid road killer?

I saw a Indy motor in a plain Jane Honda Civic.
Looked like your average jellybean on the road.

K car. Total ultimate sleeper.

Back