Undead and probably half dead.

TheBigDirtyBrowner

Reaction score
Well my car sorta made it to Shell Lake (40 miles or so from Barron). However I can't win with luck so it dies and now it needs a battery.
It just randomly died and didn't start at all, nothing turned over not even the fan unless you left it alone.
Is this the right thing to say? The battery? Because I am in a toss up between my alternator and the battery. Thanks!

Justwondering

Reaction score
How old is the battery?
Did any idiot light in the dash indicate that the battery was charging while you were driving?

TheBigDirtyBrowner

Reaction score
No lights where on in the dash but the lights on start up did die down when the engine tried to turn over. And no idea on the age of the battery, it just seems kinda small.

Justwondering

Reaction score
There is the official way to determine if the alternator is dead (multi-meter) and there are other ways to determine.

1. Start the car (jump it off if you have to). Once started, remove jumper cables.
2. Look at the dome light in the ceiling on the inside. See how bright it is?
3. Turn on your headlights and see if the dome light dims.
4. Turn on your a/c blower and see if the dome light and/or the headlights dim.

OR

1. Start the car (jump it off if you have to). Once started, remove jumper cables.
2. CAREFULLY remove the negative battery lead.
3. Does the car stall/die

Easiest thing to do is put a known good battery in it and take the jalopy to town to have the box store (autozone or oreilley or napa etc) test the battery and the alternator. Easiest unless you are like me and live 50 mile round trip from such a store. Then I would use the multi-meter and test the alternator and the battery. But that presupposes you have a multi-meter and feel comfortable using it.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Once you rule out the alternator get yourself an Interstate Mega-Tron II battery. Monster battery that will never let you down.

If you don't know the age of the one that's in there it might be toast. Especially if it's too small for that car.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Based on what you said....if I read correctly I'd rule out the alternator. The battery cranks the car and the alternator keeps it running and charges the battery. In other words. Once it's running if it stays running but the battery won't hold the charge I'd say battery.

Back