Update, New FBody Possibly Coming.

David Clark

Reaction score
Well, Been a couple months so I thought I would update. Back surgery is still hurting like a MoFo. I found out they didn't do anything on the Right Side of the back Disk Fusion as it was too compacted for them to get the old bone Grafts out (Remember, I spent 8 hours in surgery on a 4 hour Scheduled Surgery LOL). The Pain on that right side is just as bad if not worse from before the surgery, the left side feels great. Will have a follow up with them on April 5th to see what we can do about the pain on the Right side.

Meanwhile, I think I might have struck a deal with a guy up in Canada for a 79 Volare Road Runner and 79 Volare 4 Door for FREE. He Bought a 66 Chevy Stepside Truck I think it is from a Guy in wyoming and told me if I can deliver to pickup to him, I can have the Two Volares. Drawbacks to this are........ I don't have a Trailer that will Haul Two Cars, Just a Tow Dolly so If I did take both cars, I would need to make two trips. Customs is also another drawback but not 100% un-doable. LOL. If I can't brind the 4 Door back, I was planning on Stripping what Parts I could or can off it and haul them back in the other car or back of the truck so I got a couple questions coming up. I can't find a trailer to borrow from anyone that is willing to let it cross the border even though I will be bringing it back LOL. And No Trailer Rental places will rent a trailer knowing it's going across the border as well. So it may just be the Tow Dolly and the 79 Road Runner Coming back. Anyway, On to the Questions........

Will the Front End BOdy Parts and Windshield on the 4 Door be Compatible with the 2 Door Models, Like Fenders and Hood??
Will the Back Seats on the 4 door be Compatible with the 2 Door Models (And Front Bench Seat?, Not sure what kid of front seat the 4 door has yet)??
The 4 Door has a Slant 6 I plan on Grabbing too (No Transmission though). I Plan to Strip that 4 down all the Front end Body Parts and Windshield, Engine (to put in my wife's Dart as I think the motor in it is going soon as it's clattering when you rev it up), seats, Brackets, Tail Lights, Side marker Lights and anything else I can get off in One day as this trip will be kinda Hurried as we have livestock to get back to.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
All items in front of the windshield are the same. The dash is the same.

The rear half of the car (mid rear wheel well) and back are the same.

Doors and other obvious items (seats, roof, etc.) are different as well as the 2-door is a couple of inches shorter.

Edit:
2-door/4-door seats will fit each other (with one exception) – but 2-door seats will fold forward to allow rear passengers – and 4-door seats don’t have that function.

Somewhere in late ‘70’s or early ‘80’s (not sure when) the R/F seat (split seats only) the inner most seat track is shorter on newer cars because the floor pan difference for bigger cat converter.
Outer seat tracks and L/F inner seat tracks are the same.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
We don't have a wall. Our government sits at designated border crossings hoping that the bad guys are honest enough to stay on the roads.All they are really doing is aggravating honest folk, and enforcing laws no honest folk even know about. And they get so uppity if you give them lip.Suddenly they are almighty "I'll-throw-you-in-jail-forever",powerful. Common guy it's just a tomato! Look, I'll eat it right here;will that make you happy?
There's only a couple of miles of farmers fields separating us from you.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I was referring to the sudden influx of Moslem illegal immigrants coming to Canada from the US due to Trump's actions. Seems like it is easier to illegally walk over the border, get caught, and then request asylum, than to properly apply to legally enter Canada. There are thousands that have come over the border since Trump was signed into office. It is considered to be an issue up here.

Law abiding citizens use the legal border crossings. People who want to take advantage of the system cross illegally. I'm thinking that it would be easier to just cross illegally, even if you are caught, than to deal with the hassle of educating the idiots running the border crossings about the vehicle you are bringing across.

shadango

Reaction score
This post has me wondering -- what is involved in "importing" vehicles like this into the US? How would they value them? Blue book would be zero -- so scrap? What kind of taxes would the OP be looking at? And how would the registration stuff work?

They gotta make it SO hard to do EVERYTHING now. This guy just wants to save a couple Mopars! LOL

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I don't know about Canada to US importing of a car. The importing of a US car into Canada depends on the age of the car. Anything over 30 years old is pretty easy; just get an approximate value from an accredited car appraiser, pay your taxes, and you are good to go (need to prove ownership and yhat you own the title, if it from a place that puts titles on cars).

Anything below that age will have to be brought to Canadian standards. Speedo and odometer must be converted to kilometers, the labels for all of the switches and knobs must be either pictographs or bilingual, seat belts and airbags (if equivalent Canadian models had them) must be there and in good condition, all pollution equipment must be present, and daytime running lights must be working (if the equivalent Canadian model had them)., along with any other safety equipment that was different from the Canadian model. Then, when the car arrives at your location, it must go through an out of province inspection, which runs $300-400.

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
The importer must file with CBP, upon entry, an EPA form 3520-1 (with a copy of title, etc. attached) and declare code "E" on that form. CBP may waive this requirement for nonresidents traveling temporarily in the U.S. in Mexican or Canadian registered vehicles with no intent to sell the vehicle. You can also obtain the form by calling EPA at 734-214-4100.

The importer is also required to file a DOT form HS-7, which may be available at the port of entry and can be downloaded from the DOT Web site or by calling the Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393.

• If the car is old enough to be exempt from DOT requirements (the same documents that would confirm this for EPA purposes should also address this issue) the importer may check the block on the HS-7 stating the vehicle does not have to confirm to DOT requirements.
  • If the vehicle is not old enough to be exempt from DOT requirements, the importer will have to provide proof that the car conforms to DOT safety regulations. Options include a letter from the original manufacturer or a sticker on the inside of the driver's door indicating that the car was manufactured to U.S. standards.
  • If the importer is unable to prove that a car conforms to DOT requirements, it will have to be imported through a Registered Importer (RI). Classic or antique vehicles are subject to a 2.5% duty rate, which is based on its worth at the time of import. Canadian-made vehicles are generally duty free, provided the importer has valid proof of its origin.

David Clark

Reaction score
Yeah it's a Nightmare to do this. Literally. For Cars that over 30 friggin years old almost. Just a major pain in the ass if you ask me. I still want to try and attempt this. and might be bringing both cars back after all if I can round up the moolah to RENT the Trailer that will haul both cars. Place up here has a 40 foot gooseneck that I can haul with my dually and pick up both of them at once while delivering him the Truck. Going to also put the Truck Title in my name so we don't have to fuck with all the paperwork from the guy that was selling the Truck. Guy in Canada is going to wire me the money for the truck, truck will be delivered to my place and paid for, then I will transfer the title in my name and get everything ready to import it to Canada. This may take a couple months and they guy with the Volare's is willing to wait as long as it takes (I guess he realllllly wants this truck) and willing to pay for 1/2 the Trailer Costs. It's just getting all the I's and T's Crossed properly to get everything back and forth. UGH. And Praying to Gawd my my 32 Year old Dually Can handle the Trip. LOL.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m assuming the OP was getting the cars for parts, only – and not to drive or to resell (could be wrong, though).

Being he is already in South Dakota – I would also assume (could be wrong, again) that location of said part cars are more or less North of him.

I’ve been to Canada a few times, but only at major cities, and would assume (there I go again, assuming) that there are plenty of back roads in the Montana/North Dakota/Minnesota to Canada border that is not enforced (proper word usage?).

Now I’m not trying to circumvent the paperwork or proper taxes - but thinking on putting to use some parts that currently has little value that might otherwise rust down to nothing for somebody that doesn’t have a lot of extra money to burn.

Kinda like me going way out of my way to avoid toll roads (not the same thing – but something I do).
BudW

kkritsilas

Reaction score
There are a lot of uncontrolled entry points from North Dakota into Manitoba (having lived in Winnipeg at one one, sort of know that part of the world). I wouldn't recommend an unofficial entrance, though. While there are no border points/crossings, doesn't mean that they are completely uncontrolled. There were known to be aerial patrols when I lived there, and most likely, drone patrols now (land from North Dakota into Manitoba is as flat as a sheet of plywood; it is the Red River flood plain), and they can see a long, long way. I don't think that the legal issues should you be caught are worth the risk in order to get some parts, as rare as they may be.

David Clark

Reaction score
BudW. To clear some things up, the 79 Road Runner I had planned to get as complete as possible from him to eventually turn into a Driver. the 79 4 Door, If I can't find a Trailer to haul both back on, I would strip for parts, If I can find a Trailer, Might as well get them both to fix up right. According to one of the Forms I read from the links provided, since both cars are older than 21yrs old, They are exempt from the EPA paperwork. But in order to title them, I can't skip Customs Paperwork as that's required to get these titled.

Still Not 100% sure I want to do this as there is the cost of the Trailer Rental (if I brought both back), Cost of Fuel in the Dually for a 900+ Mile one way trip, Motel if we stay over night (if it was just me going, I'd sleep in the truck), Plus whatever other costs are involved in Getting them back from across the Canadian Border. It sounded like a Good deal at the time but these two cars could end up costing more than I want.

David Clark

Reaction score
Well, it looks like this deal is going to Fall through, The guy that has the Truck the guy with the Two Volares wants doesn't have a title for the truck, so it's NOT gonna Cross the border. And I just went back to the Doctor yesterday and put back on semi bed rest and no Lifting again as they think the hardware in my back might have slipped out of alignment and causing the excess pain on the right side. I gotta get the body healed first.

If anyone is interested up there in Canada (No border crossing lol) let me know and I can get you his information. He was only asking 300 for the 79 Roadrunner.

David Clark

Reaction score
Didn't Look to bad in the Pictures. Though he did mention some Floor Rot on it. Body Looks pretty straight and I will probably still be making a Trip up there to get the Spoiler and Louvre's off of it at least, But I just can't afford to make the trip to Haul them both back. So if you are interested (Minus the Spoiler and Louvre's) let me know. Here's the pics he had of it. Doesn't look to bad body wise.
rr1.jpg
rr2.jpg
rr3.jpg
rr4.jpg

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
Ohhh nooooo RED interior. I couldn't live with that.And I'm too lazy to change it and it's so far away.
Well....I have this rusty old 1980 Volare here which could donate it's interior, and powertrain, at least I could have a back-up car again.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm,Lemme think on it.

Yeah I suppose I could make that into something. Canada's a big place, whereabouts is this located at?

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I spy a Dodge pickup with a sunroof (not a popular option).

AJ, you have my curiosity piqued. Why not a red interior?

Granted, I don’t care much for red or black cars (draws too much attention) – but don’t remember someone commenting about interior being red, before.

Side note: I’m not a fan of vinyl or leather seats because of cold (or hot) seat reasons.
BudW

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
I don't exactly know.
I have had one red interior car and two dark greens and will never have either again. Especially not oxblood red. That sends chivers all up and down my insides.Won't have white either.Nor a lotta other colors
For me it's black, tan, or black and tan, or maybe gray or gray-blue.
I have no idea why that might be so.
I can tell you why I stopped eating pork in '94.
and why I married a woman nearly as tall as myself.
I can't tell you why I have been eatting the same cereal every morning for about 30 years.
Why does dragging finger nails on a chalkboard drive some people crazy, or even the thought of it make them cringe?
Some things just are....................

Last edited:

David Clark

Reaction score
Ohhh nooooo RED interior. I couldn't live with that.And I'm too lazy to change it and it's so far away.
Well....I have this rusty old 1980 Volare here which could donate it's interior, and powertrain, at least I could have a back-up car again.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm,Lemme think on it.

Yeah I suppose I could make that into something. Canada's a big place, whereabouts is this located at?
I sent you a Private message there AJ/FormS with his contact information and stuff in it.

Back