Valve cover gaskets for cast aluminum valve covers with "notches"

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I have two pairs of the old MT cast aluminum valve covers. These valve covers have "notches" in the outer gasket rail (see pictures below). At some time in the past, I know gaskets were made with "tabs" that git into these "notches". Does anybody know if the are still being made, and if not, are they necessary anyway, in regards to preventing oil seepage?

IMG_0011.JPG

IMG_0012.JPG

80mirada

Reaction score
The tabbed gaskets are going away. They generally start leaking at the tabs if you don't cut them off after installation. Newer gaskets are better made and tend to be easier to install

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are using stamped steel valve covers – make sure the flange surface is straight. If not straight, they will leak no matter what you do.
A block of wood, a hammer and a few minutes of your time will get the covers straight,

Aluminum valve covers are different (and don’t use a hammer on them). Some people run into clearance problems with brake booster when using aluminum valve covers (so a heads up).
BudW

Aspen500

Reaction score
If it's a big block, I'm not sure if it's physically possible for stamped steel covers to not leak:eek:
Not sure about the SB cover gaskets but the last MP ones I got for a BB had the tabs (same as what came with the MP covers) but ironically enough, you have to trim the tabs off and also part of the gasket on each end for them to fit properly.
What I've done is put a thin coating of Ultra Black RTV on each side of the gasket to fill any minor imperfections and zero leaks. That's with the black fiber type of gasket.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I don't know if it makea a difference, but they are small block M/T valve covers.

Consensus seems to be that the tabs on the gaskets don't make a difference. These are cast aluminum, so they wouldn't be warping much. I have read that the lhold downs for each valve cover bolt are a good idea, so I will be getting them before the valve covers go on.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
These are cast aluminum, so they wouldn't be warping much.
The nice thing about (cast) aluminum valve covers is you have to work (hard) to warp one – which is great for stopping leakage.

The bad news is with FMJ-bodies with power brakes, is most aluminum valve covers and the brake booster want to occupy the same real estate (and/or the rear lower bolt is impossible to access).

Cars without power brakes – no problems what so ever.
BudW

Back