VIN number decoding

shadango

Reaction score
Has anyone found a reliable place online to decode the VIN numbers and fender tags for these cars?

Tried Allpar, and their charts claim our 81 Diplomat has airbags and is either a Horizon or a Ram Heavy Duty 4x2 truck

Stock mopar.com says our car is an unknown model but that it has a 400 CI engine with a 2 BBL

Johnsteiger.com says its an 84-89 Dodge Horizon (I knopw, Horizons are PLYMOUTHS!) with a 2.2 turbo in it.

WTH. LOL

I just found Dippy.org.....

Diplomat VIN and Tag Decoding

.....its hard to figure it out, but seems like most of the info is correct....they do not have a code for body style....and it says our car is a "special order 1971-1980 slant 6" which seems weird...

Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
Just a guess on my part but the special order slant is probably just because the v8 was standard in that car.

shadango

Reaction score
Just a guess on my part but the special order slant is probably just because the v8 was standard in that car.
I was trying to figure out how rare a car this would be......looks like only 5500 or so 2 doors were made......I figure that a "sport", slant 6 might be rarer.....or maybe not....would just like to know....LOL

Back