Volare/Duster Project begins

DaveHath

Reaction score
Well the Duster arrived in one piece and is in decent shape considering it is a 42 year old car. It's paint is in excellent shape for the age and will remain. After going front to back on it. Some things that need to be addressed. The horn did not work and the windshield washer pump did not work as well. The horn was an easy fix, the relay was bad. The washer pump seems to be the switch. I will double check the connections and ground as they were pretty oxidized. However, after replacing the pump and giving the connections a quick cleaning and having no power at the connector I am leaning towards a bad switch. As it sits right now, the car needs rear springs (they are S shaped), tailpipes, maybe proper head pipes. The decklid needs to be refinished, and it needs a new Plymouth emblem for the decklid. Once the exhaust and washer pump are working I can get the car inspected. After that I can address some of the little things like ISO delete and rear springs, cosmetics and paint, front seat foam and upholstery and upgrades.
1671461729391.png

79MOPARAZ

Reaction score
Hey DaveHath, that's a nice Volare Duster you have! Look forward to seeing your progress.

Erik

DaveHath

Reaction score
Well, today I ordered some B-body spring plates and U-Bolts along with some 5 leaf springs and bushings. I will start posting pics as I go. Now I need to find a windshield washer switch....

slant six

Reaction score
The wiper switch i think would be an easy find.. should be the same as all of the Gran furys and Diplomats to '89.

Does yours have the delay or just 2 speed?

DaveHath

Reaction score
Found a NOS wiper switch in the box.....the Wiper and washers now work....Now on to the exhaust....

DaveHath

Reaction score
Well, exhaust parts are rolling in. I just received my Flowmaster 2.5 inch tailpipes from Summit, and I have a pair or Walker 17749 super turbos coming with the appropriate hangers and pieces to replace the flow master series 40s that were living under the car. Everything should be ready for this weekend. I will document the tank slide and exhaust work. Once i get this through inspection I will deal with the head pipes. Currently they are solid, I just do not like how the drivers side was done.

DaveHath

Reaction score
Ok all parts have arrived. I started on the exhaust and cut the 40 series Flowmasters out I am preparing to put a pair of Dynomax Super Turbos (17748 ) There are some issues with the existing exhaust work but with mufflers and tail pipes it will pass inspection.....There just us a bit of butchery in the exhaust. The gas tank slide was painless and there is plenty of room for 2.5 inch tailpipes. I will take some pictures as I go along. I am certainly going to do something about the head pipes and everything ahead of the mufflers in the summer.
Other issues I noticed. transmission mount, ISO mounts, spring eye bushings, shackle bushings and shackles are toast. The good....no rust, no rot, no sketchy issues other than exhaust.

DaveHath

Reaction score
Well, all good things must end.....the 1980 Duster project is over. We lost the Duster and our home in a house fire this weekend.
IMG_20230129_163154486_HDR.jpg

Back