Volare mini-update

Idle Ender

Reaction score
Its been a while since Ive checked in concerning my 80 Volare. Last time I posted about it, the engine had a (suspected) rod bearing failure. That was very much so the case. After tearing the engine down and finding 2(!!) spun rod bearings and a ruined rod, I heehawed around for a few months trying decide my next course of action. Finding cast crank aftermarket rods was nigh impossible. Forged or otherwise. My best option was to source used OE ones. In the end, I think Ive decided to just buy a new engine. A friends dad has a low mile/fresh slant with an attached 904 for sale dirt cheap. So theres that when I have the extra cash. So hit me up if you need some slanty parts. I got em. Lol. Meanwhile, instead of saving to buy that engine, I picked up a set of sick Cordoba alloys off an acquaintance in the Vanning crowd. At $100 it was too good of a deal to pass up. Should help the car stand out a little better than the BFGs on Magnums Im running now. Seems like every car at the show is running that combo. For the right price, Id be willing to unload those too. Heres a little peek at the progress restoring those bad boys.

Test fit unwashed and with ancient tires.
20180225_171309_HDR.jpg

Inside was disgusting. Pressure washer and a wire wheel cleaned it up well.
20180226_131250_HDR.jpg

Stripping the foggy and yellowed clear coat between cars at work. Lol
20180226_143649_HDR.jpg

Cleans up pretty good! This is pre-polish.
20180226_172609_HDR.jpg

Used some Mothers aluminum polish on some polishing wheels. Using my Dremel sped things up a bit.
20180228_202326_HDR.jpg

Taping all of it off was a bitch. Halfway through I remembered a trick I used on my badges and used crayon on the small inside spokes. Paint doesnt stick to it. Much easier than taping off.
20180228_225037_HDR.jpg

And the "finished" product. Could use a little more attention in a couple places, but significantly better than before. A little before and after action.
20180301_212124_HDR.jpg

Ive been updating the previous owner and I can taste the salt. Lol. He probably regrets letting them go so cheap. Now all I need is the center caps.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Im running those on the Volare until the Cordobas are done. Good looking wheels. Mine were destined for the scrap pile before I saved em. Lol
View attachment 28549
Yep, I think the Road Wheels are just classic and they always look great, particularly on F's. I also have a set of nice Rally Wheels that I did save from my deceased T-top, but no tires on them, so I haven't mounted them on OY. I'm sure they would look great too, but I think I still prefer the Road Wheels. I like the blacked out grille on your '80. Goes very nicely with the white body. Sharp looking coupe!

Idle Ender

Reaction score
Yep, I think the Road Wheels are just classic and they always look great, particularly on F's. I also have a set of nice Rally Wheels that I did save from my deceased T-top, but no tires on them, so I haven't mounted them on OY. I'm sure they would look great too, but I think I still prefer the Road Wheels. I like the blacked out grille on your '80. Goes very nicely with the white body. Sharp looking coupe!
Yeah, theyre definitely a safe bet. Cant go wrong with em. Mine are 14" though. A wider 15" will do me some good. Thanks! Took an afternoon of nervewracking taping, cutting, and painting. Im happy with the result. Was going for the Roadrunner look. Just need to lower it a hair and pop a one piece spoiler on it.

Back