Wagon rear seat

DCAspen

Reaction score
Can someone show me the hinges on the side of the folding seat in a station wagon that connect the two pieces,not sure if I put them in the right way and the service manual hand drawn photo is no help. Thanks

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
It was too dark when I got home last night.
My phone died a couple of days ago, so I took pictures on my tablet this morning. Took tablet to work with me - but now I can’t get the pictures off of my tablet because I forgot to bring SD memory card adaptor (and tablet refuses to see my mini-USB thumb drive).
I need to take “stuff” back home tonight, and try it again using my home computer.

There was not much to the seat back attachment. The linkage was for the rear section cover that folds down over the gap behind the rear seat.
BudW

DCAspen

Reaction score
The hinge on the sides of the seat has a curve to it,need to know which way the curve goes up or down,The curve part is on the small carpeted filler piece on the side where it bolts to the seat.

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
I HOPE THESE HELP

IMG_20180420_111057107_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180420_111118945.jpg

IMG_20180420_111134179.jpg

DCAspen

Reaction score
Thank you,Mine is in the right way,Does your seat go up and back easily,Mine seems real hard to move backwards

XfbodyX

Reaction score
My fold down seat car moves easily but every few years I lube the filler hinge area as it gets stiff. Or do you mean where the seat itself? It should move freely.

Was it as hard prior to you taking it out?

DCAspen

Reaction score
Going to grease the hinge,I probably got too much paint in the hinge area on the respray,I'll let you know how I make out.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Looking at your photos VOLAREWAG78 are there only 2 bolts on the hinge holding the small folding seat,My 77 has 8 bolts holding down the hinge.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Been busy all weekend (wife's half-sister died) – so hadn’t had much of a chance to reply.

My pictures did not turn out as good as what is already listed, except for this one, possibly.
20180419_104434.jpg

BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Maybe I should not of used the term grease, but more like a spray lube that will wick into the hinge.

This probably wont thrill the 78 up owners but build quality on the 76/77 from all my cars and the ones ive seen was actually better on the 76/77. Im saying build quality, not the poor fender material that caused the rust issues. The 78-s simply used better fenders, more seals and splash guards to keep moisture displaced, compare the inner fender splash shield used on the the 76/77 vs the 78 up and some even used both as they do interconnect at the base. Then look at all the added plastic parts used on the 78 up in interior and the tail lights to save costs and make things more simple.

DC, the fold down seat and the 76 wagon car I have all have the 8 bolt hinge and as well a bit different hinge thats a full circle mounting point vs a easy quick install 1/2 moon like on the 78 up cars, but who knows if the later 77-s had them.

This hinge in this pic dont look bad but id not get it to move in a million years without any lube as its froze tight but WD40 and about 30 seconds and it moved freely. You might use a lube that wicks but put some paper towls under/around to catch the rusty colored fluid that it will produce.

Like in the pic, they didnt even have provisions for the 8 bolt hinge in the 78 up, why spend the time or money. But there is a not so known reason why T bar and Sunroof cars got most the fold down back seat option, the added rigidity of the lower cross brace. And it carries over to the wagons too.

DSC00035.JPG

DSC00036.JPG

DSC00037.JPG

DSC04299.JPG

DCAspen

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and pictures,I'm sure I got some paint in the hinge,Going to clean it and grease it and hope that takes care of the problem.

Back