wanted: trunk lock from police car

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMX

Reaction score
Contact seller
Looking for a trunk lock from a police or taxi (fleet vehicle) that used the ignition key. Used in '73-'89 models. Most often seen in Diplomat, Gran Fury, Aspen & Volare fleet veicles. If you've parted out a cop car, it probably had this lock I'm looking for.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I meant to post this in "parts wanted". Maybe a moderator can move it. Sorry.
Done...what's so special about a police car trunk lock...I can get you a remote unlocking one out of a 1988 Diplomat but it's not a police car...

CMX

Reaction score
It sounds like you may be describing the latch. What I'm looking for is the lock you stick the key into. Government & taxi fleets often had a "one key fits all locks" system, meaning the ignition key worked on every lock on the car. The ignition, the doors & trunk. It cut the number of keys the motor pool would need to keep track of in half. Some municipalities would take it a step further, & every car in the fleet used the same key, so one key would work on every car in the fleet.

I'd like to simplify my life by doing the same thing, cutting the number of keys on my keyring in half by only needing one key for each car.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
It sounds like you may be describing the latch. What I'm looking for is the lock you stick the key into. Government & taxi fleets often had a "one key fits all locks" system, meaning the ignition key worked on every lock on the car. The ignition, the doors & trunk. It cut the number of keys the motor pool would need to keep track of in half. Some municipalities would take it a step further, & every car in the fleet used the same key, so one key would work on every car in the fleet.

I'd like to simplify my life by doing the same thing, cutting the number of keys on my keyring in half by only needing one key for each car.
Okay for fifeteen bucks a cylinder a locksmith can rekey those to any key you want...I just got one done for my my body....:coffee2:

CMX

Reaction score
I'm afraid it's not that simple. I can re-key locks myself, it's a very straightforward procedure on the door, trunk & non-tilt ignition locks. Standard trunk locks will not accept an ignition key. Try sliding your ignition key into your trunk lock & see what happens. Never mind that the key won't turn, it won't even go in, because the allignment grooves on the side of the key are different. In order to accomplish what I'm after, I need the "police style" lock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back