Wanted: Windshield Wiper Drive Crank

Status
Not open for further replies.

PentaCar

Reaction score
Contact seller
I am looking for a windshield wiper "drive crank" (cam between wiper motor and linkage) for my 1982 Mirada. The part or any leads would be appreciated.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
Search eGag, Mirada wiper repair. $75 + $5.95 SH

s-l225.jpg

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
I am looking for a windshield wiper "drive crank" (cam between wiper motor and linkage) for my 1982 Mirada. The part or any leads would be appreciated.

So you're specifically specifying the cam, between the wiper motor and linkage. Ok I think I know what your talking about, hence my post and pic of a 75 dollar updated replacement part made of better materials.

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
I think he wants this.

That part is $249 with Brads. While it's an NOS piece, it's still over 20 years old and MaMopar used shit materials in that bushing. Period
The OP said any leads were appreciated, next time I'll keep my two cents out of the threads where someone is looking for help. You do know there are several ways to repair any one failure ......?

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score

Didn't see the word 'bushing' in the post.
So what is wanted?
Says 'drive crank'

Last edited:

marty mopar

Reaction score
from the 1982 book:

1 3799 545 1 ARM w/NOZZLE.Windshield Wiper w/o Blade,Rt.
3799 698 1 Lt.
2 BLADE w/REFILL,Windshield Wiper
3799 646 2 Anco(Plastic)
3799 369 2 Anco
3799 645 2 Trico(Plastic)
3799 417 2 Trico
3 REFILL,Windshield Wiper Blade
3799 335 2 Anco
3799 654 2 Anco (use with 3799646 blade)
3799 060 2 Trico
3799 685 2 Trico(use with 3799645 blade)
4 4186 956 1 X,S MOTOR w/JUMPER PACKAGE
4240 528 1 Y
5 6031 096 1 NUT,Crank Mounting
6 6025 413 3 NUT,Motor Mounting
7 6024 067 6 SCREW
8 3799 537 1 LINK ASSY.,Wiper Drive
CONSISTS OF:
1- ------- Link w/Bushing
1- ------- Crank w/Pin
1- ------- Cam
1- ------- Spring
1- ------- Release
1- ------- Retainer
1- 453632 Ball
1- 1922183 Ring
9 3799 089 3 BUSHING,Windshield Wiper Linkage
10 NOZZLE,Wiper Arm
3431 868 1 Rt.
3431 865 1 Lt.
11 RETAINER,Windshield Wiper Arm Nozzle and Hose
3799 058 1 Rt.
3431 871 1 Lt.
12 4026 130 1 HOSE,Windshield Wiper Arm Nozzle,3/32" I.D.,50’ Roll
13 PIVOT
3799 456 1 Rt.
3799 453 1 Lt.
14 3799 612 1 LINK w/BUSHING,Wiper Pivot Connecting
The following items are not shown on illustration. an offsetting order for part no. 3747881
2932 708 1 GROMMET and SPACER PACKAGE,Motor Mounting
CONSISTS OF:
3- ------- Spacer
3- ------- Grommet
3431 974 1 SEAL,Windshield Wiper Motor Output Shaft
2926 168 1 SEAL,Wiper Motor Mounting
3799 275 1 HOUSING PACKAGE,Wiper Motor
4186 955 1 GEAR,HOUSING and COVER w/JUMPER,Wiper Motor
4222 060 1 CONTROL,2 Speed w/Intermittent Wipe
4048 645 1 BRACKET,2 Speed w/Intermittent Wipe
3799 087 1 ARMATURE PACKAGE,Wiper Motor
3799 618 1 DWELL SWITCH,Wiper Motor
9415 464 2 SCREW, Dwell Switch Mounting
0453 632 1 BALL,Windshield Wiper 2 Speed w/Intermittent Wipe
1922 183 1 RING,Windshield Wiper Release Retaining,2 Speed w/
Intermittent Wipe
3747 654 1 SWITCH,Windshield Wiper and Washer,2 Speed w/o
Intermittent Wipe
4293 111 1 2 Speed w/Intermittent Wipe w/Tilt Steering Column
3747 495 1 2 Speed w/Intermittent Wipe w/o Tilt Steering Column
4221 002 1 KNOB,Windshield Wiper or Washer Switch 2 Speed w/o
Intermittent Wipe
2 Speed w/Intermittent Wipe (See Group 8)
3799 722 2 Y BUMPER, Windshield Wiper Blade Stop

#8 (3799537) is the drive link that attaches to the motor

PentaCar

Reaction score
Thank you to all who responded. I have the factory manual which refered to this part as the "drive crank", an internet search yielded part number 3799537 as mentioned by Dr LeBaron and Marty Mopar but the number on the part that came off the car reads 3799534. It is a 30+ year old car and was probably changed out already. I did see Brad has one, but I agree with MiradaMegacab that NOS or used it is still a coin toss on how good the part will hold up given the material it is made of. I was looking for either good used or the kit that MiradaMegacab mentioned (I never saw that before). I did replace the bushings on the linkage already, unfortunately I must have put too much stress on the drive crank during that process because it failed only weeks after. Also Thank you marty mopar, you took a lot of time to type out all that information and it is appreciated.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
Hello PentaCar: I've had the very same issue on several different Mopars of this vintage that had wipers that "parked" under the cowl when they are turned off. I have experience with both the eBay reproduction and the NOS from Brads. The NOS units I have purchased work just fine, and they are far, far easier to install than the reproduction unit. Even though they are very old, they seem to be fine. I suspect they fail due to repeated exposure to heat and cold, extremes a stored part is unlikely to experience on a day-to-day basis. I would buy with confidence. If you have lots of mechanical aptitude, go for the much-cheaper repo, but do prepare for some swearing. The assembly is non-obvious, but the seller is quite helpful. He has offered to assemble the linkage arm, motor attachment, and new parts if you send him the old stuff. I recommend this option if he still offers it. If I were (when) I'm in your position again, I'll be investigating this option. Good luck!

PentaCar

Reaction score
Cordoba1, I appreciate your insight. I too, have had my share of wiper linkage related issues as the plastic bushings are known to fail. (I have owned several 1st Generation Rams as well). I have not experience the drive crank failure until now, but after evaluating the part I realize I have just been lucky. The plastic just doesn't stand up over time. I have time to think about which way to proceed as the car season is rapidly coming to an end here in the Northeast. Thanks again for relaying your experience.

PentaCar

Reaction score
3799534 comes up unknown number.
And I didn't see on Marty's list.

Dr Lebaron, I am starting to think the 3799534 part is from another model and was likely installed sometime during prior ownership. The conflicting numbers also made me hesitate on the NOS purchase. (hate to lay out that kind of money for the wrong part, and it would be on me). The wipers on my Mirada never seemed to park correctly, I thought the arms might have been installed incorrectly but now I suspect the drive crank was part of the issue. I am feeling better about the 3799537 part number after all the input from members of this forum. Thanks again.

marty mopar

Reaction score
casting numbers on parts are NOT always the number in the part book as stated above. In the part book for 1982 there is NO 3799534 so it is a casting number and valid for the part but not for the assy that was serviced.

the part is 3799537 which is an assy that consists of 8 parts, none of which are serviced individually including 3799534.

8 3799 537 1 LINK ASSY.,Wiper Drive
CONSISTS OF:
1- ------- Link w/Bushing
1- ------- Crank w/Pin
1- ------- Cam
1- ------- Spring
1- ------- Release
1- ------- Retainer
1- 453632 Ball
1- 1922183 Ring

PentaCar

Reaction score
Marty Mopar, your post about the assembly including several parts vs a casting number on a single part brings some clarity to this issue for me , Thanks.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
One more "complication" regarding these parking-wiper systems. The way they work, is that when you turn the wiper switch to off, note that the wipers reverse directions. What happens is the switch sends reverse-polarity voltage to the motor which makes it rotate backwards. There is a contact that causes the motor to rotate backwards, and after a pre-set location is reached, the contact is lifted from the wipe, causing the motor to stop. The geometry of the drive crank linkage causes the wipers to be pulled further down (and into the cowl) than they do when "regular" polarity voltage is applied to the motor. The poor-parking may not be caused by the drive crank: It is often caused by deterioration of that contact and wipe that signals the motor to rotate backwards to the set point. If that circuit isn't working, when you turn your wipers off, they'll just stop right where they are, often mid-window. Mine work pretty good, but now and then when I turn them off, they'll just stop where they are instead or parking. Turning them on and off a few times, essentially exercising that contact and wipe like you would a scratchy volume control, cures the problem.

Also, if you happen to install the drive crank 180 out of phase (it fits on the motor two ways), really bad things happen.. Like the wipers will swipe way off the glass on one side, and try to smash into the cowl on the other. Ask me how I know!

I know a few guys have done away with the parking mechanism altogether with some garage engineering.... It fixes the wipers, but they don't park. J-bodies look awful with the wipers on the glass.

Last edited:

majo

Reaction score
One more "complication" regarding these parking-wiper systems. The way they work, is that when you turn the wiper switch to off, note that the wipers reverse directions. What happens is the switch sends reverse-polarity voltage to the motor which makes it rotate backwards. There is a contact that causes the motor to rotate backwards, and after a pre-set location is reached, the contact is lifted from the wipe, causing the motor to stop. The geometry of the drive crank linkage causes the wipers to be pulled further down (and into the cowl) than they do when "regular" polarity voltage is applied to the motor. The poor-parking may not be caused by the drive crank: It is often caused by deterioration of that contact and wipe that signals the motor to rotate backwards to the set point. If that circuit isn't working, when you turn your wipers off, they'll just stop right where they are, often mid-window. Mine work pretty good, but now and then when I turn them off, they'll just stop where they are instead or parking. Turning them on and off a few times, essentially exercising that contact and wipe like you would a scratchy volume control, cures the problem.

Also, if you happen to install the drive crank 180 out of phase (it fits on the motor two ways), really bad things happen.. Like the wipers will swipe way off the glass on one side, and try to smash into the cowl on the other. Ask me how I know!

I know a few guys have done away with the parking mechanism altogether with some garage engineering.... It fixes the wipers, but they don't park. J-bodies look awful with the wipers on the glass.

Cordoba1 -- what did the guys who have done away with the parking mechanism do to make it work? I need to fix my wipers, and I'll be racing my car and don't really care if the wipers stay on the windshield.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
I don't have a first-hand description, but basically you can weld in a piece of steel in the big hole of the arm, drill a hole in it, and attach it to the post at the end of the drive crank. You may have to experiment with the placement of the hole to get the geometry correct to make the wipers sweep the correct distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back