Warning about today's Gas and Carburated Cars.

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I had three bad instances with the ethanol they add to the gas. Seems if you let your old ride sit for a while the gas evaporates and leaves behind a sticky corn mess. My Shebly Dakota died twice on me. My Aspen wouldn't start because the needle valve underneath the shooter got stuck closed. And just lately I could not start the Gran Fury. Stuck float valve was the culprit. All issues have been resolved now and won't return. I use Lucas Oil Product's Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner. One 16oz bottle treats up to 80 gallons of gas.

484105761_L_16790ce9.jpg

Last edited:

Erics5th

Reaction score
I use it also. Another good thing to do is replace all your rubber fuel lines with fuel injection fuel hose. Does not break down like regular rubber fuel hose does with todays gas.

Jonnyuma

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, Doc. I used to use non-ethanol 92 before I moved too far away from the station. Been using the Lucas stuff, but not as consistently as I should be. But now I know where I can get decent gas not too terribly far from where I live. good deal.

ramenth

Reaction score
And the idiots are talking about raising the ethanol percentage to 15%.

It's been my experience that even a lot of more modern cars hate this s***. Injector seals breaking down, clogged cats.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Thought about starting a service where I'd have a tanker of muscle car 110 gas and with GPS/cell, tank up vintage muscle cars when they go cruising and need real gas.

alf44

Reaction score
at least 2 stations here in southern mn have at least 91 octane, been using MOBIL 91 at 4.12 gallon and started using kwik trip 91 corn juice free at 3.89 gallon as of yesterday. my old girl likes the real gas but dont always burn it cause of its price

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Still running garbage free and all 3 of my babies love it
So do I. I don't have to worry about the damage that pukewater does. I know it's more but to me it'smore than worth it. Even in gas mileage alone. Plus peace of mind is worth a few bucks to me.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Sunoco, b/c I read it here .. pass 2 other branded and 2 private label stations for the nearest .. use their premium .. but it's not on the list of E-free .. no problems as yet.

Aspen500

Reaction score
More and more stations around here are adding ethanol free 87 octane and about 75% have ethanol free premium (91 octane). All the 93 is "MAY contain up to 10% ethanol". As I mentioned before, independent random testing found the "up to 10%" 87 and 93 octane averages 0-6% ethanol. Kind of on the same line, E85 used to be easily found and now, there's only a handful that still have it. Mostly only the bigger places. Most of the others switched from E85 to ethanol free 87 octane.
What I've noticed is, the stations that now carry ethanol free 87 advertise it on their signs with wording such as "We have the good stuff, ethanol free regular" or "Ethanol free regular and premium available here". They make a big deal out of it and I think it's cool! Sure, the ethanol free averages 20 cents a gallon more than up to 10% ethanol does (both reg and premium) but worth every penny IMO. That's not why the advertise it so much. The stations make the same profit per gallon no matter which fuel you buy from them. Heh-heh, the ethanol rebellion has begun ;)

Some even have signs inside the store stating the bad things about ethanol, both to your vehicle if it's fuel system isn't built to hold up to ethanol (meaning any non flex fuel vehicle built before about 2007 or so) AND the environment. This means tailpipe emissions and if there's a spill that gets into the ground water or rivers/lakes. With ethanol a spill is way worse than without because gasoline is not water soluble, ethanol is.
The Aspen gets ONLY ethanol free 91 octane and my DD '96 Dakota gets ethanol free 87 (along with the snowblower and lawnmower too).

Back