Was told to post here even though I have a B body

Kube1989

Reaction score
Hi :) I recently bought a 78 Cordoba with 43,000 mi original and just fixing up the few minor things it needs. Right now I'm looking for a diagram of the fuse block or at least some instruction as to where the turn signal flasher unit is. it appears the one that was on the fuse block is only for the hazards. I replaced bulbs with LED and got a LED flasher unit and the hazards work fine now but I have no operation of turn signals period any help would be greatly appreciated!

Aspen500

Reaction score
From the information I can find in the service manual, the signal flasher is the one on the fuse block and the hazard flasher is on the lower reinforcement below the steering column, to the left side.

Kube1989

Reaction score
Wow I wouldn't have expected that . Should they be identical flasher units? When I unplug the one on the fuse block the hazards no longer work period as soon as I plug it in the hazards work fine. I will have to search the steering column for the other one...

Aspen500

Reaction score
All I could find showed it on the fuse panel but, that doesn't mean it is. It's according to the wiring diagram (for a '79) and from experience, those are not always totally accurate, even today.
The other flasher isn't on the column itself but should be on one of the braces behind the drivers knee panel area.
I had a '79 Cordoba many moons ago and am trying to remember where it is. I know I had to change it once and, seems to me, had the same trouble you are having finding it. That was 25 years ago so...........................:confused:

The turn signal and hazard flashers look the same but they are actually different.

Kube1989

Reaction score
Well I have contorted myself under there a number of times now and there is no second flasher unit at least nothing that looks like the one that was in the fuse block.

There is a similar size opaque lightish yellow plastic unit that looks similar to the all metal flasher unit that was in the fuse block however this has a green and black wire clipped onto one post and a red wire to the other post. And this is somehow mounted against the backside bottom of the dash just above the emergency brake release controls and it doesn't appear to remove from the car like it's screwed on or something.

Hate to be a pain in the butt but I can't see very well at that distance nor can I contort myself in a way to get my hands and head up in there enough to see anything unless I remove the front bench seat completely.

I'm about ready to just drop a quick 50 on old School bulbs and go back to the way it was.....

Aspen500

Reaction score
That might be it. It most likely has a square nub on the top and twists into a square hole in the sheet metal 1/4 turn.

No need to apologize, I know EXACTLY how you feel trying to get under a dash and then see without it being a big blur, when it's too close. Trust me......................:(

Kube1989

Reaction score
Thanks again I'll give that a twist and see if I can get it to pop out

Kube1989

Reaction score
Sure enough :) that was it. That one was for the turn signals. The one in the fuse block is for the hazards period so I'll order another one of the LED friendly flashers for the hazards.

Wow they sure did hide that thing up there though under the dash. If I wasn't totally inverted with my head stuck up as far as I could get it I'd have never seen it

Aspen500

Reaction score
Good deal! I was going to see if it looked like this pic but, too late, lol

1329273.jpg

Kube1989

Reaction score
Mine was a little more milky white plastic with the nub on top that twisted into the dash. I'm just glad to have it changed. I couldn't be sure my son would always manually flash the turn signals ;-)

Back