Water pump problems

79 360 Duster

Reaction score
B040BC58-5DDA-4018-820A-3E388FFBCFBF.jpeg
Well I am hoping someone on here can help me figure out what is causing this to happen on my 360. This just started happening after I changed the cam and put aluminum heads on, I highly doubt that affected it but I am wondering. The first water pump that did this had roughly 3000 miles on it and this one which I put on after the first one screwed up, this one only lasted maybe 100 miles and they were both brand new Cardone water pumps. When I got them.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that is a new one for me, for a small block Chrysler pump.

Poor quality control – I guess.

For me (personal cars), the '60's reman cast iron water pumps and high RPM's = ball bearing problems. I went through a number of them with my 340. Not saying it was the problem but I finally removed the fan blade/clutch and went electric fan. I'd see over 6 grand often with that car.

I have gotten to the opinion, for the cost difference, to just go with new water pumps.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've been installing Edelbrock water pumps on my project motors, I know theres knock offs but I'll stay with them for now.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I'd say the machining tolerance is too sloppy. I mean, either the shaft is machined a few thousands too small or the hub bore too big and the interference press fit is insufficient. JMO but, I've never been impressed with the Cardone products. Too many failures, either bad right out of the box or shortly after installation. At work, we try to avoid using that brand for that reason. Doesn't seem to matter if it's a brand new part or reman.

79 360 Duster

Reaction score
What I ended up doing was just using red lock tight and pressed it back into place, made 3 passes down the track. Sadly I blew up the diff, damn 8 1/4’s just don’t stand up lol. Hopefully find out how it stands up come next year.

Back