We gots a Mazda Mirada today

slant6billy

Reaction score
IMG_20170617_082630.jpg

A good few people were a bit ignorant and STUPID! Why in all that is holy would 2 diehard mopar people be getting a Mazda?

It was not just my wife who goofed this. My Mustang budy (who suffers tunnel vision a lot) even said," You guys getting that Mazda Muradah today?"

I wouldn't even let my daughters drive that little POS Mazda

old yellow 78

Reaction score
That's too bad. I'm a die hard Mopar fan too (mostly pre-1998 thank you), and have been for many years. But I also love my Mazda. I bought a new Mazda 3 Touring in 2010, have put 100K on it, and have NEVER had even one problem with it - ever. I can't say that about any other car I have ever owned, including approximately nine F-bodies. The Mazda is the best car I have ever owned and is a complete blast to drive with the 5 speed. Basically, I like most all cars. I love my '78 Aspen wagon, and I love my '10 Mazda. But they are completely different vehicles. The cars of today are so different from the cars of a few decades ago, that they are like comparing "apples and oranges". That doesn't mean that I can't appreciate both of them.

slant6billy

Reaction score
I know mazda makes some decent daily drivers and throwaway cars. Mazda and most modern cars are not crafted in style that has uniqueness. All the designers are like 5th graders cheating on a math test. That's why any metallic color 4 door mid size is no different than the next. Cross over SUV, mini van, or autonomous driving hybrid are all on function and less on creative right side of the brain. 35 years from now, these jellybean cars will be recycled to water bottles, park benches, and wash buckets. I've seen the little 2 seater show up at shows, but I've seen chevy cobalts, toyota celicas, and honda civics with 6 inch exhaust show up at shows. Not enough uniqueness and all too many still around to spark any WOW factor. I know I'm biased. I say similar things about Mustang, Chevelle, Camaro, Vettes and other "Me Too or I bought one too" cars. There is just limited independent thought with the common car dulling the senses.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Lol. Right! It's a matter of perspective. The cars of today are annoying in their "sameness", my beloved Mazda included. It's styling is not very different from any other little car today, and the color selection I had was really limited, again, like most all other cars today: black, silver, grey, white, dark blue. Ho hum. I chose white, meh. I have wondered if this trend of "sameness" is because consumers are reluctant to be different from each other ("herd mentality"), or if designers are too afraid to take any risks away from what they already know will sell. It is probably both.
My Mazda 3 has, what at the time, was a distinctive, and very polarizing front grille that appears to be "smiling".
088.JPG

I always liked it, and still do. BUT, the car reviews SLAMMED it as "horrendous", "ruined the looks of the 3", etc., etc. because it differed from the norm of smaller, less obvious grilles on the older 3's and everything else. Now, all the new cars have huge gaping grille openings that are "frowning", "smiling", "threatening", whatever, and the older look of smaller and less obvious grilles is not popular anymore. Heaven forbid anything be different!
For what I use it for, my Mazda is perfect. It's quick, nimble, efficient, easy to park, and really fun to drive. It's great for a daily commuter. OY is perfect for what I use it for: cruising with no particular place to go, lazy rolling road trips, gets attention, has the ability to haul 5-6 people and a bunch of stuff if I want, revives good memories, and is an excellent hobby. If I tried to drive OY the way I drive the 3, I'd wind up in a ditch on my roof, BUT, of course it's also YELLOW! Yellow with plaid to be specific! And, a station wagon! Try to order something like that today! They are both fun in different ways, and they are not at all the same.
Davids Camera 439.JPG

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Anything “plaid” and automobiles are two terms not used together, often.

This morning, I went to look at a ’78 wagon for another forum member here, and got two “great car” remarks from people. A bit later, while at a gas station getting directions, I had 4 different people with heads looking inside of car, at same time.

Even the seller of the other wagon, liked mine and was quite surprised with me driving it there.

Billy, is that Miranda for sale or just a car coming into shop for maintaince?
BudW

slant6billy

Reaction score
Anything “plaid” and automobiles are two terms not used together, often.

This morning, I went to look at a ’78 wagon for another forum member here, and got two “great car” remarks from people. A bit later, while at a gas station getting directions, I had 4 different people with heads looking inside of car, at same time.

Even the seller of the other wagon, liked mine and was quite surprised with me driving it there.

Billy, is that Miranda for sale or just a car coming into shop for maintaince?
BudW
Gator is going to put a new battery cable in it and new battery and drive it.

Rustyroger

Reaction score
Any mainstream modern car offered for sale today has to meet so many more regulations regarding safety and emissions than back in the day, and have sensible gas mileage, and give passengers a comfortable ride, that it has become "Form follows function".
When the cars of the fifties, sixties or even the seventies were designed they were built for a lifespan of ten years or so, then shove them in a junkyard and buy another new car. The manufacturers aren't interested in timeless styling, they are in the business of making limited lifespan consumer durables for profit, selling to customers for who styling comes after fuel economy, reliability, and possibly even safety as well. That's not to say styling doesn't have an influence, but it isn't the main criterium as it was in the fins'n'chrome days. And is a FMJ body much different from contemporary offering from GM or Ford?.
Our cars, and other old cars stand out because they were built for a different era, and they stand out among the everyday cars of today.
A Mazda would have stopped traffic if by some magic it could be sent back in time some thirty years or more. Come to that, so would most 21st century designs.

Roger.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Since my dad died, I have responsibility for the estate.
Only one kid wanted the 2014 Subaru and he still complains about how uncomfortable the seats are.
I didn't want it.
Yes, the gas mileage is great 30+ but I'll take my fifth avenue and its 'couch' front seat. My back doesn't hurt, my butt doesn't hurt, my right knee doesn't hurt no matter how far I drive. My pocket book hurts a little, but I won't trade it.
I'm just not interested in the sardine cans of today. It may be 'safer' but its way more uncomfortable.

Back