100_3719.JPG

100_3720.JPG

100_3721.JPG

100_3722.JPG

100_3723.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
Well it' about freaking time! lol
Got to say, when doing my car that was pretty much the job I enjoyed the least.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Got all the body done with the 2000. It is as smooth as glass. I'm going to let a few of my local painter/ finisher types take a look. I think I might skip compound and go right to polish. The texture is that smooth. Opinions?

Aspen500

Reaction score
How's the arms feel? Heh-heh.
You don't really need rubbing compound after the 2000 grit.
Opinions? This is what I used and the results were unbelievable. It's the Norton "Liquid Ice" system. Only one product used with 3 different pads. Highly recommended. Plus, it's very forgiving for us novice painters. Used my Milwaukee grinder/polisher. The kind with variable digital speed control to avoid burning the paint. You go over the car once with the wool pad, then switch to the
http://www.eastwood.com/6-inch-complete-liquid-ice-finishingsystem.html
Sounds pricey at first, until you add up the cost of using 3 different products and then you still need the 3 different pads too. You go over the car once with the wool pad, then switch to the blue foam pad, and finally the white foam pad.
I remember finishing with the blue pad and thinking it looked really good. Then I started with the white pad and it's like "holy shmitt!"
Anyways, my opinion for what it's worth.

liquid ice.jpg

slant6billy

Reaction score
Thanks man. The old schooler hot rodder gave me a similar direction. He let me borrow his Milwaukee polisher with the wool pad to bring the shine up. I have a bottle of 3M compund for the initial cut and shine. He then gave me a bottle of 3M FinesseII to further the effect. I have some mild weather to knock this out since he has his polisher sold to a buyer on Saturday

slant6billy

Reaction score
My arms are not too sore, but my fingers are shredded. My eczema is looking like raw meat on my hands

slant6billy

Reaction score
Second phase: Compounding. I'm using 3M products and a wool pad. The buffer did go as high as 5, but I kept it to 2-3 just to be safe. NOW I have some sore tired arms.

100_3743.JPG

100_3742.JPG

100_3746.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
I always wonder how the professional body guys do all that kind of stuff 5 days a week for 40+ years and still have arms that function. Suppose, same way us auto techs have backs (and legs and necks and wrists and fingers and....) that still function after 40+ years in the business. I say function, not necessarily function well (ouch, ouch, ouch) lol.

Can't wait to see it done and out in the sunlight!

slant6billy

Reaction score
I always wonder how the professional body guys do all that kind of stuff 5 days a week for 40+ years and still have arms that function. Suppose, same way us auto techs have backs (and legs and necks and wrists and fingers and....) that still function after 40+ years in the business. I say function, not necessarily function well (ouch, ouch, ouch) lol.

Can't wait to see it done and out in the sunlight!
Back in the early 90s I was that detailer- using bulky polishers and bulk products at the Gas and Wash.

slant6billy

Reaction score
So no clear coat?
It is coming up. I had a few spot that needed some re- wetsanding. Some frost appear in the clearcoat. Washed it all back off and used this other rubbing compound called Ebony. Still no polish or wax yet. Took it around the block and that weird tach noise occurred and she stalled, so I had to dead stick her up my street. That coil wire is killing my volt regulator with cross talk noise. That is another thread all together

Back