What do y'all run for timing ? :)

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Today, I recurved my ProForm distributor because it had the advance coming in real early and the engine would ping if you had the initial set at anything more than 5* BTDC.

So I added a strong small spring and also added an FBO Systems mechanical limiter plate.

FBO Systems

I have my initial set to 15* BTDC, the limiter plate set on 18* of mechanical. This is a total of 33*, on top of that I have the vacuum can on a manifold vacuum pulling in 12-13* at idle and cruise. With that working, the engine idles at 28-29* BTDC. Off idle the mechanical comes in a little bit and the advance is theoretically at 45* while cruising around 1800rpm. This setup seems to work very very well, I was able to re-tune the idle circuits by richening them up some to get more idle vacuum/smoothness and also able to lower the idle stop screw making the idle circuits more effective.

Just curious as to others setups? I got it good and hot and let it sit and heatsoak to where the coolant had to be up around 220f in the engine. Guage showed half on the dash, fired right up just the same as when it was set to 5* yesterday. Technically, I could stand some more initial then couldn't i? lol

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
2016-09-26 02.04.46.jpeg

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
when I deleted my lean burn computer I went with an MSD ready-to-run dizzy. Set the timing to 16* initial as the sticker under the hood (I think) says. MSD sent lots of different springs and bushings with it, but since I wanted to get as much economy out of the motor as I could, I just left it as is. The factory curve gives a bit over 20* of advance. Don't get me wrong, it's still got plenty of grunt, but I can still pull 23-25 mpg on the highway.

P5120038.JPG

P5130040.JPG

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
16* on the sticker eh? What year is your engine? My sticker called for 7*, but this wasnt enough to get a rock hard idle from it. The proform dizzy i bought had 28* of mechanical, and soft springs so it came on strong and at low rpm.

With the spring change, and the mechanical limited to *18, i get a solid 33* total with the initial at 15*. I have never used the manifold vacuum before so that is a game changer too for me. It pulls an additional 12-13* at idle and cruise which puts me at an idle of 27-28*.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
His BBD carburetor appears to be a non-computer controlled one. Sense he has MSD ignition system – I would guess the Lean burn system has been de-activated.

If so, I would also guess his EGR is on there for looks, only (I seen the EGR control solenoids on firewall, still – but without a computer to operate them, they are there for the ride).

Nice looking cars rcmanic791 and 8v-of-fury!

BudW

Last edited:

rcmaniac791

Reaction score
yeah, most of the emissions stuff on there is just there; doesn't really do much, just keeps the man happy.

It's an '84 318. I just ran outside to check the tune-up sticker and it does say timing BTDC is 16*.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
Isn't that weird, nothing physically different between your 84 and my 88.. and your computer wants to see 16 while mine was 7! WEIRD.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
My boss, who is a longtime mechanic told me that I was gonna ruin something by running so much timing. I am like dude, there is NO PING and the car has never started so well. Today at about 45F, drizzly and cold.. she cold started with one 1/4 pump of the throttle, basically enough to set the choke and ran perfectly. I got it hot so i could do a seafoam treatment to try and clean the valves and pistons up a bit. I'll let er soak over night and see in the morning! lol

jasperjacko

Reaction score
are you saying you have vac advance at idle? that should not happen until part throttle.

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
^ Yes, and it works beautifully. Ported vacuum was an emissions thing from my readings and talking to old people lolol. Manifold vacuum on the vacuum can does wonders for the idle, which is the same as cruise. A really lean low load situation, no reason it too cannot have high adv.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
what is your idle rpm? Also, how is advancing timing at idle and having to run a richer mixture to idle smoothly a good thing? Seems like your car would just be using more fuel while not going anywhere, no?

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
800rpm in neutral. The engine was an absolute bag before hand, and ran like total SHITE till fully warmed up, and even then didn't run great. So I am not entirely convinced I "richened" the idle, or if I more or less have it set correctly now. I did in fact turn out the idle screws, but i also turned out the throttle stop screw considerably as well. So it may or may not be actually using less fuel to idle now then before, who knows! I don't have a wide-band. I can tell you though, the car starts and runs beautifully and the off idle response is the best it has ever been even when cold(er).

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
I do appreciate the feedback though!

From all the readings I have done on the "ported vs manifold" debate, basically all praise the manifold source from a gear head stand point. Then there is obviously the other guys who are dead set to believe the factory designed it that way on purpose. What do I know, carbs were out of production 6 years before I was born! lmao

Back