what rear spoiler will fit on a Mirada?

72Dodge

Reaction score
My Mirada has a Go Wing, which I don't especially care for. I would rather have something sort of like the ones on the Aspen R/T for example, or a small straighter one like you'd see on a stock car. Like the one below on the Hot Wheels Mirada for example :)

Anyone know if one is made that will fit, or what the best one (generic or otherwise) would be that would fit or could be modified to fit?

Thanks in advance.

Screen shot 2013-11-24 at 1.59.11 PM.jpg

Screen shot 2013-11-24 at 1.59.11 PM.jpg

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I don't know of a wing made for our cars, however, there a several good choices. The pedestal wing from an 80's firebird or fiero looks good. The late model challenger has a similar wing to your pic that will work with some mods. The closest style to your pic I believe is the 2.2 turismo/ shelby charger wing. I'm considering one for my car. I have one, and with minor mods it will fit and look great. One more oddball believe it or not is the pontiac aztec wing. It may also work with some mods to get the look you're after. Pic is late model challenger wing.

100_4166.jpg

Last edited:

72Dodge

Reaction score
Oh yeah. I hadn't even thought about maybe using a wing from an existing model car. I can see where that Challenger one could work, and I see there are aftermarket ones for just a little over $100. Not too bad. I might try to look for something a little more straight/angular, as that might really be ideal, but this would look good too. Thanks!

P.S. Anyone wanna buy a Go Wing? :)

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I'll post a pic of the shelby wing. I would remove and fill the 3rd braklight, and cut from the front point, straight to the rear bottom mounting surface for a very good fit. It would also not sit as high. Mounting studs are holding it up. I think this gives kind of a nascar look.

000_0014.jpg

Last edited:

DCAspen

Reaction score
How about a mid 80's Monte carlo SS rear spoiler

72Dodge

Reaction score
I'll post a pic of the shelby wing. I would remove and fill the 3rd braklight, and cut from the front point, straight to the rear bottom mounting surface for a very good fit. It would also not sit as high. Mounting studs are holding it up. I think this gives kind of a nascar look.

That would work!

72Dodge

Reaction score
How about a mid 80's Monte carlo SS rear spoiler

Good idea here too. Everyone's going to think the car is some sort of weird Monte Carlo anyway!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I see that there's many choices out there. I'm going to eventually get rid of this Go Wing and put on something like that, just have to either cover the holes with the new spoiler or weld them shut before painting the car. It's a much better look than the Go Wing for a squarish car.

Mr.Lopar

Reaction score
I never have liked the go-wings
iirc a member here bought a lil spoiler off of member bryan m off his old Mirada
also best thing to do is weld up the existing holes before paint, else that's a leak point and will rot out the trunk floor

jasperjacko

Reaction score
The G.N. would need a lot more work to fit cause they're 3 pc. and the kind of wrap over the side.

72Dodge

Reaction score
I really like the look of keeping the piece to just the trunk width, like the Challenger in post #2 for example. Although I really like the look of the Aspen R/T style spoiler, since something isn't made specifically for this car, it could be more work.

Lots of great suggestions and ideas in this thread! So many more options than I had even considered before.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Ha, yeah. I'm going for a bit more subtle. Of course, to the import guys, this thing needs a boat anchor to stop it, so a whale tail would be sticking with that theme.

Ya know what ! I just thought of something . Back in the day when vans were vans they made a van plus . Now the van plus was a regular size van , plus 2-3 feet added to the rearend . I know I took the gears out of 1 , and it had a 8.25 diffy in it . Reason why I bring this up is this . That van had the same size bolt pattern as the diplomats that I was running in the derbys . That being said I think it would be worth looking at for rear brakes . Kinda stands to reason that it " may " have larger drum brakes that was any production car . That too being said . What's the chance that the front disc's are larger as well ?

72Dodge

Reaction score
I don't know the first thing about vans (other than they're awesome), but a lot (most, all?) B-body Cordobas (for example) used 11" drums out back. I have an a-body 8.75 set up with the 11" Cordoba brakes. I think the C-bodies used same. So, I don't know why a van plus wouldn't or couldn't have same.

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
I don't know the first thing about vans (other than they're awesome), but a lot (most, all?) B-body Cordobas (for example) used 11" drums out back. I have an a-body 8.75 set up with the 11" Cordoba brakes. I think the C-bodies used same. So, I don't know why a van plus wouldn't or couldn't have same.

Because they're bigger and heavier and should require more stopping power .

Back