What Wheels are these?

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Hi,

Looking at getting a set of wheels that are supposed to be for Mopars. I THINK they are from the 1978-1979 Magnums (XE or GT). I would like to have confirmation, if possible, and an idea if the center for these are available. Picture of wheel is:

$_35.JPG

They are supposed to by 15" X 8" on a 5 X4.5" bolt pattern.

$_35.JPG

Mr C

Reaction score
Those are Mopar Urethane wheels...used first in 75 on Cordobas, but were thrown around the B body line up for a while. The center caps are the same as late version slotted road wheel.
cordoba-JPEG.jpg

Darth-Car

Reaction score
They look better with the rich corinthian leather.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Passed ib them. I have 3 sets of alloy wheels, and 3 cars to put them on, so no need for them.

WOuld be nice looking wheels on the right car, though. They look perfectly good on the Cordoba picture above.

NoCar340

Reaction score
Those wheels are ridiculously heavy and either 15x6.5" or 15x7"... I can't recall for sure. They did not make them in 8" widths. The centers are in fact specific to them--the slotted road wheel centers completely encircle the lug nuts, while these have breaks in the outer edge near each nut... but the small finishing cap itself is the same. As far as I know they were only used on '75-'79 B-body coupes. I've never seen 'em OE on a four-door... but that may just be because I never paid much attention to those unless they had lights on the roof.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have passed on them, but it is good to know about them. I think they would have looked good on the 1980 Cordoba, but will be putting the polished out snowflake wheels on that car.

The Snowflake wheels are noticeably heavier than the 5 on 5s.

Kostas

NoCar340

Reaction score
Steel wheels are much stronger than aluminum. Police-package cars weren't available with aluminum wheels back then, and to my knowledge still aren't. Look at any serious off-road rig and it'll have steel wheels, every time.

odcics2

Reaction score
The comparison was between the 5 spoke alum. Cordoba wheel vs a snowflake.
(not a steel wheel)

NoCar340

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have passed on them, but it is good to know about them. I think they would have looked good on the 1980 Cordoba, but will be putting the polished out snowflake wheels on that car.
The comparison was between the urethane-spoke wheels he posted at the top, and the snowflakes. ;)

odcics2

Reaction score
Having had both Urethane wheels and snowflakes, the Urethanes are MUCH heavier.
Usually, the urethane separates from the steel.
My comparison was between an '80 5 on 5 alum. Cordoba wheel to a flake. Didn't realize
my error!

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
I put those wheels on my 80 Lebaron parts car.
Out of the 8 I had, Only 4 were useable.
Because the urethane does warp and pull away from the steel.
I still need one trim ring for these, there very thin and not much holding them on.

I had them lying around and wanted to see how they would look.
Better then the stock steel wheels that were on it.

80 Lebaron PC.JPG

Mr C

Reaction score
Those wheels are ridiculously heavy and either 15x6.5" or 15x7"... I can't recall for sure. They did not make them in 8" widths. The centers are in fact specific to them--the slotted road wheel centers completely encircle the lug nuts, while these have breaks in the outer edge near each nut... but the small finishing cap itself is the same. As far as I know they were only used on '75-'79 B-body coupes. I've never seen 'em OE on a four-door... but that may just be because I never paid much attention to those unless they had lights on the roof.

Mopar did not limit their use to coupes...they could be optioned on other body styles.

dodge_monaco_wagon_rear_open_1977.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been told by a couple of customers that removing the urethane wheels improved fuel mileage. I have no first hand verification to that - but as heavy as those wheels are, I could understand that.

The domes and rings are specific to that wheel.

I have seen this wheel on B and C bodies when new, but mostly on 2 door B bodies. My parts manual show they came on B bodies only – so maybe the C bodies may have had dealer upgrades (downgrades?) performed at time of sale.

Having that much un-sprung weight, can’t be good for performance enthusiasts. They might have well made the wheels out of lead.

Part numbers:
3699487 Wheel, 15-6.5” Polycast/Urethane (the only size available)
3580364 Dome (fits this wheel, only)
3580360 Cap (fits a bunch of wheels)
3461239 Ring, Trim (fits this wheel, only)
6029190 Screw, dome
3580134 Nut, Lug

BudW

80mirada

Reaction score
92-97 Intrepids and Eagle Visions had urethane styled wheels (16"x7") and the dealer solution for gas mileage complaints were plain steel wheels and wheel covers. Urethane wheels are terrible heavy.

Back