wheel size

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

What is the widest tires you can fit on a J without having any issues, I currently have 17 x 7 rims on it now but was thinking to go to a bigger rim size and lower profile tire.

Can anyone recommend and bigger wheels they have used with no issues?

Thanks
Bruce

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Brucenz:

With older cars, I am of the opinion that very low profile tires don't look right. I have seen many, many 1955-1957 Chevys, 1967-1969 Camaros, various late 1960s Corvettes, 1965-1971 Mustangs, E-bodies, and the 1967-on Chargers/Road Runners/Satellites, etc., with the big wheel, very low profile tires, and all of them look "off". The tires/wheels may work better, but they don't look right. There isn't enough sidewall height, which to me throws off the entire "look" of the vehicle. Something looks out of place. I think a 17" wheel is pretty much as big as you would want to go on our generation of cars. I have a friend with a 1955 Chevy, in which the chassis has been pretty much replaced by a modern Corvette chassis. The chassis can take full advantage of the 20" rims and 40 section tires that he has on there. Car handles like a dream, but looks "wrong", to me and to others that I have talked to (genuine, old itme, hot rodders).

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with them looking “off” to me as well – but that doesn’t answer his question.
If his mind is made up, then I don’t want to change it.

I have seen someone running 18’s” on one, but never did find out what size they are.

BudW

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I guss what we define as low profile, some only have an couple inches of side wall but I am thinking 3 to 4" I guess I like seeing more wheel :)

When I change my rear end to 3.21 the speedo will read wrong so maybe I can fit some bigger wheels in and keep profile ok.

I kinda like that look, but also I know low profile ride firm, found this pic of a doba with big wheels and low profiles. What do you think?

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1507/1121/3765560002_large.jpg?v=0

Last edited:

High Speed Pursuit

Reaction score
Opinions about wheels are like belly buttons...everybody has at least one, but I did see two on the same person at the carnival once...the wheels on the photo link look fine to me, but you've really got to choose what makes you happy every time you look at your car. I've never seen anything larger than 18's on a J body personally...and it wasn't rolling, but remember, the bigger you go, the less tire you have to cushion the ride. I'm sticking with 15's on my car.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
15s have so much sidewall movement, I have put solid body isolators on, ff ucr and will fit addco anti sway bars. In NZ we have lots of twisty roads and very few long straight ones, if fact you guys would laugh at what I call straight roads :)
--- Post updated ---
My aim and tell me if I am being silly is to get my Cordoba to handle like a modern car, is it possible? Not a racing car but all round handling, driving car and with the 360 some performance.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
One can get yours to handle very well

Getting rid of the rubber K-frame bushings, Iso-clamps, adding better sway bars, better tires, etc. and you should be able to run with (or away from) the big dogs.

80mirada

Reaction score
Your goals are reasonable. I would stay with 17-18". 20"'s will end up being over weight and harder for your shock absorbers to deal with. I know 9" wide will fit in the back and have seen 10" on a couple J-bodies. Hot Rod used to have a article online on how to measure how much wheel and tire can fit.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I spent some time on tirerack.com. According to them, the standard tire size for a Cordoba/Mirada is 195/75-15. The equivalent size on a 17" rim is 225/45-17. That should be low profile enough to make sure that the tires are not a limiting factor. Ride will get noticeably stiffer, from past experience (had a 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII, 225/60-16 on 16" X7" std., 255/45-17 added later with aftermarket wheels (17" X7.5"); huge difference in handling, no more "mushiness", vagueness, etc.). I think that the difference between the 15" wheels and the 17" wheels will be enough to keep you happy.

Back