When Your 318 Just Isn't Good Enough

Darth-Car

Reaction score
So you are rebuilding your car, and want a new engine. Here is Mom Mopars gift to you.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Only real things left is the transmission and fuel system. I wonder if they have given any consideration for coming out with a transmission set up that would work with these crate engines. Schumacker now makes Hemi conversion engine mounts, so that is covered. The 5.7L is at 383 HP, the 5.4L at 485 HP. I think most of our cars would be fine with the 5.7L crate; it is at, or just past the power capability of the 8.25" with Suregrip. The 6.4L will require a 8 3/4" or stronger rear end.

Also, wonder what each of these crate engines goes for?

Last edited:

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I am thinking there must be an adapter to connect the motor to a 727 since that would be the only old time trany that could handle one of these beasty motors.

89.Fifth

Reaction score
You don't need an adapter. Torqueflites all bolt right up since this uses the same classic 318 bolt pattern.

Though I'd really want to have at least the 5sp auto or the 8sp auto but that's a pain to set up.

Mr C

Reaction score
Mopar is still missing the boat on a large portion of the hobby (cheap wrecking yard swaps).

I'd rather see an affordable plug and play wiring harness (to include the trans) for putting full Hemi drivelines into old cars.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Mopar just came out with a Hemi swap harness you can use with a scrap yard enigne. Not sure if it includes wiring for the modern trans or not. Then there's the wrinkle of making the ECM and TCM talk and work together, not to mention the 8-speed is totally electric, including park and that goofy shifter that goes with it......Personally, not a fan of it. My dad's Charger has the 8-speed and he's used to the shifter so I suppose if I owned one, I'd get used to it also.

Greg55_99

Reaction score
Some years ago I came across a guy in Canada that would sell you a modified Hemi front cover from a truck modified to take an HEI distributor. When used with an aftermarket 4 bbl intake, it simplified Hemi installation a LOT. Of course, there was much debate on how less efficient this was compared to electronic fuel injection and so forth. Personally, if I was going to do a Hemi swap, that's how I'd do it. Dumb the engine down. But hey, hotrodders will always find a way....

Dumbed_down_Hemi_1.jpg

Dumbed_down_Hemi_4.jpg

Back