WANTED Where Is That Y When Pipe When You Want It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Contact seller
Greetings to the FMJ World!

All of my new exhaust parts are at my mechanic's, waiting to be installed on Darth Car except the Canadian Y Pipe, Walker part #40430. They have been attempting to get it from Summit for two months. Summit tells them it is coming, but they never get it in stock.

So I began my quest to find the thing. Nobody seems to have it. I have checked the regular candidates:

-Advance
-Autozone
-O'Riley
-Jegs
-JC Whitney
-Amazon
-E-Bay

Some may say they have it, until you attempt to put it in your on line cart, and then it comes up out of stock. Anybody have an idea where to get one?

Cambo

Reaction score
I just went through this search today and nobody has it!
We run a repair shop, I called all the leads we have but they were all dead ends. The guys at Autozone and O'Riley said even though it may show up on their website, their system shows it as unavailable.
There were a few other manufacturers that made this pipe, but they seem to be dead ends too.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Crappy Tire is a no go
Walker Canada warehouse has none
BUT-
CARQUEST says they can have one tomorrow for $139 and more than one turns up.
I ordered one just to see if it's true.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
Sometimes replacement parts are available, but not necessarily right away. If the national stock is depleted, it may be a while before the vendor runs off another batch. Then you can get the part again until,,,,,,,,,,,all the ones made on that run are gone. Lather, rinse, repeat.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Why would you want a y pipe? Or maybe what is a y pipe?
A y pipe takes is what brings the exhaust from each side into one pipe. If you're running single exhaust like the factory..you'll need a y pipe. The advantage of this pipe that Darth is referring to, is unlike factory, this pipe does not have a cat on each downpipe.

brotherGood

Reaction score
This new pipe doesn't have any on it. I just can't remember where the main one was in reference to where this new pipe connects

Cambo

Reaction score
If I remember right, the main cat is not too far after where the downpipes connect, roughly near the middle of the car. I can take pictures next time I put it on the lift if someone really needs to know.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'll be laying under my car late next week replacing the brake booster so I'd be looking at things but wasn't too sure about what I'd be seeing

How do you know if you need new exhaust pipes?

Maybe I should start a new thread.

lowbudget

Reaction score
I'll be laying under my car late next week replacing the brake booster so I'd be looking at things but wasn't too sure about what I'd be seeing

How do you know if you need new exhaust pipes?

Maybe I should start a new thread.

From your front end pictures the first shows the pre cat on the downtube of the Y pipe. The second shows the main cat. The air tube is going into it. Behind that out of veiw is your muffler. Your exhaust doesn't look to bad. Look at the tail pipe as in my experience it is usually what rots first.

IMG 2_5547.jpg

IMG_5544.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
how do you know if your cats are working correctly?
or
do cats last 30 years?

If they fail, does the car still run okay?

brotherGood

Reaction score
Well, most cats nine lives..so as long as those aren't used up, you should be fine.

In all seriousness..I think of they're getting loud, or you notice a drop in performance, you may be looking at them going bad. I don't have any on mine..never been a fan of cats anyway

Aspen500

Reaction score
Cats can go "bad" with no performance problems. By "bad" I mean they flow fine and the core is intact but they won't catalyze the exhaust anymore. Basically worn out. Over time the precious metals (platinum, palladium, rhodium and gold) erode from the ceramic honeycomb and without them, no catalyzing happens. That's why OBDII ('96 and newer) have what's called a catalyst monitor. Two O2 sensors behind the cats to see if what's coming out is what it's supposed to. With OBDI or none (like any of our cars) the only way you'll know is using and exhaust analyzer, or you may notice the exhaust smells like a car without a cat.

The metals on the core are the reason they can be so darn pricey.

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
100_5352.JPG
FMJ big cat is under the front passengers butt...left cheek area :eek: :D
Its next in line after the Y pipe, about even with the end of the trans tailshaft.

I have a couple nice used Y pipes.

8T2TOP

Reaction score
Still waiting on mine from Slummit...ordered 11/23 said bo 12/6 now new email 12/23...with holidays and plant shutdown fiqured it would be new year...thanks for the lead but i will wait for double the $...AZ but rusty and loud...so just wait...BUT NOT TO HIJACK but if everyone with a 80-83 Mirada.Cordoba or Imperial can get together to get a glass manufacturer to make a WINDSHIELD..otherwise Insurance will be paying for a Custom one..DW930....lets get it made. NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back