Why my 5th Ave never gets any love

Justwondering

Reaction score
Bills.
As I sit here this morning paying bills I realize my priorities have warped.
Somewhere along the line, I decided paying for electric, directv, telephone, trash pickup was more important than paint/parts for the Chrysler.

Hanging my head in shame...
I realize that I've moved the car too low in the priority list.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Again... I had such good intentions today of working on the fifth avenue.
But as I walked by the Chevy Silverado I'm thinking
"well you know we are supposed to have 3 days of rain...and if there is a health care issue I would need to use the Chevy since it is 4WD. There is that rattle... I really should look into that first"

So I go over to the Chevy and begin working to take the blower motor out of it.
By jing-goes there is not only a dirt dobber nest but also all the nesting for a mouse nest...no... its more like a pack rat cause everything is shredded.

I had already bought new accuators so I'm working on replacing them as well.

But research on the interweb gives me pause. Just how are those mice getting into the cabin. I begin the search. Eventually, as with most of my projects, scope creep takes over and 3 hours later I realize I have, again, carried things too far at the end of a day.

I have the A-pillars off, the dash bezel off, the fan motor out, the cabin filters removed, the side triangles that cover the fuse panels off, the pull handle on the passenger side off, knee bolster on the driver side and the full top of the dash removed. ....
How did I get there?
Trying to figure out how the mouse is getting in.

Eventually, I'm back outside the truck removing the wiper arms and engine cowling.
Scooping handfuls of partially eaten acorns out of the fresh air access duct.

I'm also removing quite a bit of dirt and leaves and acorns from the side frame on each side just in front of the door and below the hinge-- before you get to the wheel well.

It reminds me of my first few posts and BudW explaining how to remove the dirt buildup under the cowling on the fifth avenue. Only this includes the nesting material and dirt dobber nests.

By 5:30 pm I realize, its not going back together tonight.

Why?

Cause I'm working under a tree, its starting to mist, and I am realizing that several of the plastic pieces have broken/brittle areas where the clips attach. I'll have to get some double stick tape to temporarily put things back together until its warm and dry enough to use the SEM plastic process folks have mentioned here lately.

The Chrysler continues to scowl at me when I walk back to the house. lol

Good news is the rain will be 3 to 6 inches but not all at once so the Suburban can handle any health care woes.

JerryH

Reaction score
Many people forget about their projects and then the car either goes to the crusher or maybe somebody else saves it from that or just postpones the demise. You have not forgotten yours and have passion for it, that's a good thing.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I'm old enough to know that all good intentions don't get followed thru. But at my age it's good to have a diversion from life even if a project you think about as opposed to working on. my Fairlane has been waiting for me for six years to finish and now it's game on.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Eight inches of rain in the past 3 days.
We have clouds and no rain for 3 hours and it starts again for another 2 days.

We should end up at 10 inches or so by Monday morning.

Muddy and wet outside.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I will trade your rain for our freezing rain and snow. I fell I'm the ice yesterday and I hurt!

Justwondering

Reaction score
Well thats a bummer.
I'd say cold packs but that would be mean.
Sounds like time for a weekend off and a heating blanket.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
It has taken me 4 hours to get moving forward today, I'm my own nurse.

JerryH

Reaction score
With 92% of California being in drought again according to ABC this morning, why don't you guys sell that rain here.

"I'd buy that for a dollar"

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of rain here (roughly three hours drive North of JustWondering). Not watched the news to find out how much.

We received about ¼” of Ice on Wednesday afternoon – so work let us off early.
Had a break and it was raining ice most of Wednesday evening and Thursday morning – but all of a sudden the temp rose above freezing. The rain, now warm, was melting the ice fairly quickly.

The kids were out of school (and wife) for two days.

I think it is odd that the only vehicles I see with “new” damage (from ice) are 4*4 vehicles.
It is as if people think that if you can take off better, then you must have more control over ice when braking.

My 5th Ave performs wonderful in snow and ice. The car has so little power that it is almost impossible to spin the tires on ice. I can’t comment for what will happen after I toss the 2.2 gears for the 2.93’s (in the 8¼” differential) – which will be soon.
BudW

old yellow 78

Reaction score
It's oddly reassuring to know that others also have trouble finding time to work on our cars. Poor OY has been patiently waiting for me to install the plaid interior for a few years now. Amazing how fast time goes. The flip house Flip house finally done!
had used up all my time for the past few years, and I thought that once it was sold, I would have all this extra time. Hasn't turned out like that so far. But, I have hopes for this Spring to be able to spend more time having fun with OY. Seems like there is always so much that needs to be done, yet having fun is important too. I need to keep reminding myself of that.

4speedjim

Reaction score
We are finally breaking out of this winters deep freeze and the rains have let up. It was 40ish and sunny today. Spent the day at the wives old farm, walking the horse pasture, fixing all the wire and posts downed over the winter. Got the fence up, fencer grounded and clicking away. Sun sets, turn the horses out and head home. Hit a doe. Pretty solid one too. Pregnant. Slowed me right now. Hurt it bad, but didn't have my gun on me. She hobbled off. Tomorrow... New hood, bumper cover, plastic rad cover, lights, grill, pull core support back in place, install parts. The Cordoba waits again....

Back