Wild idea

brotherGood

Reaction score
Trying to help a buddy out with his imperial, found a couple V10s. Cool factor aside, what's involved in putting one of those in an imperial?

80mirada

Reaction score
Custom oil pan, custom engine mounts and custom headers, just to start. Next up is to fit a transmission that will bolt up. Being an Imperial I would lean toward a 618, like the quad cab SRT10 Ram. Next up will be a rear that can take the abuse, a Dana 60 for a 66-67 or a 68-70 B-body would be good (a 9.25 would work to, but would probably need narrowed). I think it is do able, and would be cool, but it will need a lot of fabrication and some cash

brotherGood

Reaction score
Well, my initial thought process was that since it was based off an LA block, I would think a 727 would bolt on ok. That, the rear, and chassis I was anticipating on being beefed up anyway, regardless of this or not.

I was figuring there'd be some custom stuff..regarding the pan, mounts, etc. One question he brought up, was the accessories. I would think you could swap over to a normal Vbelt crank pulley, and put your LA setup on.

80mirada

Reaction score
Though LA based, it isn't quite that simple. The Viper and the iron block engines are quite different. The V10 accessories fit the engine different and some things are proprietary to that family. If I remember correctly (its been almost 10yrs) the bellhousing is different to allow a larger flywheel/flexplate on the truck engine and it was shared on the viper. Besides if your going to go through that much trouble may as well add an overdrive trans.

80mirada

Reaction score
The later style Alternator is run by the engine controller, depending on year, but it canbe run by the old style regulator l and the power steering pump can be adapted to the earlier steering gear. The A/C would require new hoses and fittings (Boucillion sells an under hood kit that would work).

I looked into doing a Viper swap at one time, it was a fun research project but the guy who wanted to do it decided it was too much money. Of course he had zero skills or knowledge, and would have had to pay for all of the labor

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
You would think the V10 and LA (and A) engines would share the same transmission. Even the new Hemi shares the LA bolt pattern transmission - but no, V10's are different.

I had looked into installing a Viper 6-speed transmission into my F body, but it will require an $700 (US) bellhousing for one to fit (not ruled out, yet - still debating).

From what I heard, one will need to modify just about everything to make a V10 fit - but it is doable.
I would think the cost involved would go a lot further going a different route.

Back