Window Goo

Justwondering

Reaction score
I need to know what to buy to replace the failing 'black goo' that surrounds the rear window.

Picture:
IMG_2910.jpg
The left side, top, and right side are a deep black and still pliable.
The entire width of the bottom is a light gray and crumbles. The area just above the blue tape actually has a gap all the way to the car body. No doubt that is why all the rivets are rusting across the bottom.

What do I get at the hardware store or autoparts store to replace the black goo across the bottom?

Is this the same stuff that I put the bonnet back on with?

IMG_2879.jpg
The irregular line of stuff across the top of the roof. Is it the same as the window goo?

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_2879.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Couple things would work. Strip caulking like this: http://www.eastwood.com/ew-flexible-strip-caulk-bk-2-lbs.html

or even better is (like Captain said) butyl caulk tape similar to this: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...utyl-Tapes-Automotive/_/R-MMM08621_0006438159

The strip caulk will seal and has some adhesive properties. The butyl tape (it's available in a number of thicknesses, not just the one in the link) will seal and adhere the cap back on much better. It's the same stuff used to glue windshields and back glass in.

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
Ok -- just another 34-mile trip to town and I have two tubes (small) of butyl goo and one box of butyl tape (1/4 inch). I may have to buy another tube for the top of the roof but we'll see. There appears to be butyl tape around the interior of the bonnet near the rear window opening.

I pulled some off before I went to town. Sides and top looks fine. Bottom is dried out and gray.

IMG_2877.jpg
Looking at the inside of the bonnet (on left), you can see the tape around the opening meets at the top.

IMG_2877.jpg

Last edited:
Back