Windows 7 sucks for file and picture recovery

slant6billy

Reaction score
Had a 2 month old Hp laptop go tits up in the hard drive. Tech support put a new hard drive in it. I did back everything up prior and had my encryption keys. ALL for NOT. So I had to get an old Windows XP to gather all my files and pics from my portable drive. Not to mention all my saved favorites (websites) are gone. BALLS!

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
switching is nvr fun did u try zipping them for a better turnout or downloading to a disc then uploading that way? i like windows 7 for what it is i loved xp so far no corks i dont like about 7

kkritsilas

Reaction score
A little bit late now, but why are you encrypting your hard drives? Do you have super critical information on it? That would be the only reason to use encryption. Using it does complicate data recovery considerably, and may make things completely un-recoverable in some instances. If you are going to do a backup with the express purpose of tranferring to a new drive, you may want to do just a plain backup (i.e. no encryption), do a restore, verify that everything is there, and then turn on encryption going forward. Not meaning to criticize, but just suggestions going forward should this happen again.

Kostas

Back