Windshield wiper grommets!

Tuba-man

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

New member here - my name is Trevor and I'm looking for advice on getting the windshield wipers on my recently acquired '78 Volare working. I can hear that the motor is working but the wipers are not connected. On my Duster, it was a simple matter of getting under the dash and just using some new plastic grommets (after soaking in boiling water) and a pair of channel locks + socket.

But on the Volare there is a ton of stuff in between me and the wiper arms! How do I get to them? Some things are going to have to be removed but what and how?

Thank you in advance for your tips.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You get at the wiper arms by removing the plastic cowl grille under the hood, not from under the instrument panel. Much easier than an A-body.

The grommets are available from a number of sources if needed, including (I believe) places like Carquest and Napa.

Tuba-man

Reaction score
Thanks!
It looks like a very different "grommet" than what I have on the Duster (they are small and white, there are two of them). Coming off this wiper motor is a small nipple but there appears to be what is left of a round, plastic piece in there. What should this piece look like? Is this a "coupler?"
Here's a picture of what's in there - obviously an important piece is missing:
20161119_130905.jpg

20161119_130941.jpg

Second pic (directly above): Here's what's left of what I believe was connecting the wiper arms and motor.

Is there a PDF of the shop manual available somewhere for this car?

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
It would be helpful to indicate what year and model for us.
'78 Volare, in this case.

There are three (3) of Chrysler part number 3799089 (Dorman 118301), and then the bushing you had that broke.
The arm assembly (from wiper motor to first wiper link) is part number 3799105 (without intermittent wiper) or 3799358 (with intermittent wiper).
Chrysler shows a part that might be the bushing you are looking for. I couldn't find a picture of each to make sure.
4094018 – Cam Release Package. If this is not it then I don't think the bushing was available from Chrysler, separately.

I think it is easier to replace all of the bushings with linkage removed from car. Some people can pop those beauties in with channel-locks in the car.
I'm not going to suggest one way or the other – except it is a good idea to get a small hose shop vac and clean out that area once linkage is removed (in my case – full of “stuff”).

Both methods require popping the black cowl screen off.
If removing all of the linkage, then place masking tape on windshield and mark tape with marker as to where wipers were at originally. Remove wiper arm assembly's (might be a good time for wiper refills). Remove both large nuts under wiper arms. A large box end wrench works great (1 can't remember size). Work linkage out from the cowl area. I would highly recommend to change the other 3 bushings now for those items will be breaking in no time.
Reinstall in reverse order.

If you can't find the wiper motor bushing, then find the wiper motor arm and first link from a '80's M body (Diplomat, 5th Ave, Gran Fury or Caravelle for those North of the boarder) to replace yours with.
They use the same bushing as the other 3.

BudW

Last edited:

80mirada

Reaction score
There may be a reproduction bushing (the large one at the motor) available through a vendor on ebay. The small bushings are available through just about every part seller

Mr C

Reaction score

Tuba-man

Reaction score
Thanks! No kidding about the price. But that is surely the piece that broke.
Ordered. I'll post pics when it gets installed.

Back