Windshield Wiper

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
Back in the real world now . I drove the 1977 Chrysler LeBaron today for its obligatory 10 mile weekend spin, and function checked all accessories . came to find out the Windshield Wipers will not operate , the motor makes noise works on all speeds so some other part is broken, is this an easy enough fix gentlemen ? Oh and while I am in there is it easy to adjust the wiper blades my wiper blades always sat to high in the off position , I would like them lower . Thankyou

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
Thankyou Dr LeBaron. I took a look under the hood today and the short arm which connects to the drivers side wiper was detached at the motor area , oddly I could not find the plastic remains of the linkage bushing anywhere in the
housing just 41 years of dirt and debris. I found and purchased a package of 10 for $2.95 out the door on E-Bay Dorman 49447. I will just replace the one for now .

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I highly recommend replacing the other 3 – for they will fall apart shortly.
Also, put a bit of grease inside the bushings before popping them back onto the linkage arm ball studs.

Do it right and do it once – then forget (for another 30+ years)

You got a box of 10 for $2.95 total?
That is about the price each, at some locations.
BudW

volare 77

Reaction score
The 10 piece dorman kit I believe is a assortment kit. It has only two of the bushings he needs in that kit IIRC. Still $3 for two bushings ain`t bad.

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
Last edited:

volare 77

Reaction score
They don`t go in easily so its better to install them off the car. Then after that it is even harder to snap them on to the pivots.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
They don`t go in easily so its better to install them off the car. Then after that it is even harder to snap them on to the pivots.
Very true.
It can be done, but it takes someone with skinnier arms, and fingers that work better than what I have – to do so.

I recommend:
Take some tape - masking tape works well. Apply two strips under each - or by each wiper blade and make a mark on each piece of tape the horizontal position of the blade (because arms & pivots are both splined - it is easy to get the splines off and thereby the arm positions are off).
Remove the wiper arms (small/mid-size flat screwdriver, to flick the tang out first - with arm pulled away from glass). Generally gentle rocking the arms (with tang out) 9 out of 10 arms will come off smoothly.

The 1 out of 10 will need one of these tools to pull the arms off of their pivots.
Tool Wiper Arm A.jpg

Note: the tips are have molded in plastic(?) to prevent paint damage.
Tool Wiper Arm B.jpg

The more common wiper arm tool (above) will not work (but does work for my wife’s ’02 Town and Country minivan or my '97 Dodge pickup).

Once the wiper arms are off get a large socket, or end wrench, to loosen the 12-point nuts (they are not very tight) – which I “think” is 15/16” size.
Remove the black plastic cowl screen.
Remove the ½” stamped steel nut from wiper motor.
Remove the wiper motor arm and rest of linkage from cowl.
On bench, use large flat screwdriver to un-pop arms from bushings (if needed) – one at a time.

Use channel-lock pliers to pop bushings into the arms. I like to use a large nut to assist popping bushings into the arms (Note: it takes a bit of muscle to do so).
Make sure bushings are in the correct direction!

Use channel-lock pliers to pop bushings onto the ball studs – after adding a bit of grease in, first.
Install the assembly back into the cowl. I recommend installing the pivot nuts on a few turns first. Tighten the wiper motor arm nut, then the other two nuts.
Note: the driver’s side pivot has an extra washer - for the M-body drivers side wiper arm is made differently than most F-bodies are.
Pop black plastic cowl screen back into place (after making sure no tools or body parts were not left inside, first).
If you had to use a tool to remove wiper arms - then use a wire brush to clean off any corrosion and apply a smidge of grease (not a lot) to splines to prevent future problems.
Go get a tall cool one to drink, for that project is done.
BudW

77 LeBaron

Reaction score
Thankyou Bud I will probably be that 1 in 10 who will need that tool though . I will let my fellow Moparum members know how it turns out , or if I will be driving wiper less.

Back