Wiper Drive Crank Repair

Mr C

Reaction score
Note from your friendly neighborhood moderator..... I thought this would be a good thread all on it's own since this is a fairly common problem. Thanks to Mr C for this. ...

The best way to repair these systems is to remove the plastic bushing. Get the arm from a pre-intermittent wipers motor, cut it and weld to the intermittent arm with the large hole. Presto! Better than new.

DSC02239.jpg
DSC02240.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cordoba1

Reaction score
The best way to repair these systems is to remove the plastic bushing. Get the arm from a pre-intermittent wipers motor, cut it and weld to the intermittent arm with the large hole. Presto! Better than new.

That'll work! This is pretty much what my friend did.

Mr C

Reaction score
Mr C -- what am I looking at here? I'm a little confused!

What you are seeing is an older 2 or 3 speed link cut and welded to the "large hole" link used on intermittent wiper cars. Eliminates the plastic link that eventually fails. You cannot just use the older link because it does not have the right offset and will bind with the intermittent motor, and it is not keyed properly to fit the intermittent motor, so it needs to be trimmed to simulate the profile of the plastic piece.

Below is a pick of the 2 or 3 speed link before cutting as well as the "large Hole" link still on a wiper motor with the plastic link attached.

The link as shown works perfectly on the 78 C body, I've never done this on a B, R, F, M, or J, body so other mods may be needed.

s-l225.jpg
images.jpg

Back