Your thoughts on my car...

John1of41

Reaction score
Hello all, new member here and love the site. I picked up my Super Coupe in October of last year and basically pulled it from a field. It's complete except for a fuel tank, wheels, and the elusive fender tag (still in contact with original owner regarding finding it). She's solid body wise but needs front frame work and is rotted where the A pillars meet the rockers.

Being a t Top car, is she worth doing the structure work to get her back on the road? Not looking to do a complete restore just looking for a roadworthy cruiser. I'm sure a lot of you have been down this road, just looking for some opinions. People have said part it because of the rust but I really want to try and keep it together.

What do you think?

IMG_0584.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

Aspen500

Reaction score
Fix it! I've known of too many cars parted out that had relatively minor rust problems in the past. Granted, the rust is always more than what's seen at first glance, once you tear into it but still worth the time and work (IMO) There's only so many SC's left and it'd be a shame to have one less. That's what I think anyways.:cool:

John1of41

Reaction score
I do agree. I was looking into getting on some sort of registry for these cars. If there were only 41 built how many can there really be left. Mine sits well, doesn't sag, and the floors are solid. I just feel that this car needs saved. For years it was stored in an abandoned church which fell down around it. The dents and scratches, along with the amount of shingles and plaster I've pulled out of every crack, tells a story.

Master M

Reaction score
I would definitely try and save it if at all possible !

7T8 Custom

Reaction score
Save it. Jim may have a set of front frame rails( I just got a set from him for my car) as well as other patch panels. A new decal kit is available from Phoenix Graphix, and the membership here is a wealth of information for sourcing many other parts or info you may need.

John1of41

Reaction score
Save it. Jim may have a set of front frame rails( I just got a set from him for my car) as well as other patch panels. A new decal kit is available from Phoenix Graphix, and the membership here is a wealth of information for sourcing many other parts or info you may need.

The good thing is I have a solid set of front rails already from an 80's 5th. I guess the question now is how can I patch them in and not screw up the geometry of the body...

F body Deconstructor Jim

Reaction score
80 up rails are a good match other than the location of the brake hard line to soft line bracket.
It'll be much easier to do the rail(s) with the engine/trans and front clip taken off.
One side at a time with the car level on stands.
At least six points, 4 that do not include the front frame rails.
Only about 40 or so spot welds and a few mig welded spots hold the rail in place.
Its getting to them that takes the time.

Mr C

Reaction score
Super Coupes are cool, especially a T top car. Since you have frame rail replacements-weld her up! Good luck finding the SC wheels...those are a must in my opinion to complete "the look".

John1of41

Reaction score
I will find the wheels eventually....but in the meantime these center lines will do. They fit the car nicely and will work for now.

Ed Dorey

Reaction score
I'm replacing my frame rails as well. I'm going to mark spots on the old rail and inner fender then put the same marks on the new rail so I can line them up easier. Hopefully that will help.

Back