1977 Apen Wagon Torsion bars 318 vs slant 6

318wagon

Reaction score
Goodmorning all,
My question is, Is there a difference in the torsion bars for an Aspen Wagon with a slant 6 vs a 318 v8? I purchased a Wagon a week ago and the front is super low and It doesnt look like there is much adjustment in the torsion bars, but I have not tried to tighten them yet. In addition the previous owner for some reason removed the sway bar bushings that go through the k member, not sure why but I'm trying to get the car to an ok ride height with minimal negative camber, because the way it sits now, it does have a bit of negative camber most likely due to being so low. I have purchased the sway bar bushings to replace them and then I will tighten the torsion bar to see where the ride height will be. Just curious on any difference if any ( which I don't think there is ) on the t bars.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Goodmorning all,
My question is, Is there a difference in the torsion bars for an Aspen Wagon with a slant 6 vs a 318 v8? I purchased a Wagon a week ago and the front is super low and It doesnt look like there is much adjustment in the torsion bars, but I have not tried to tighten them yet. In addition the previous owner for some reason removed the sway bar bushings that go through the k member, not sure why but I'm trying to get the car to an ok ride height with minimal negative camber, because the way it sits now, it does have a bit of negative camber most likely due to being so low. I have purchased the sway bar bushings to replace them and then I will tighten the torsion bar to see where the ride height will be. Just curious on any difference if any ( which I don't think there is ) on the t bars.
So the front sway bar is just held in by the retaining clips? That's gotta be loud as it slaps around and it must handle like crap

318wagon

Reaction score
Yes. The area circled in yellow has been removed and there is about half of the lower bushing making the ride horrible. Obviously Im not driving until I get the bushings and end links repalced. Then I will get the torsion bars tightened to get an ok ride height. I got the car for cheap and the guy I got it from said the guy before him lowered the front end and took those bushings out. Do you have a suggestion on front shocks for the wagon?

Screenshot_20240417_114124_Gallery.jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Yes. The area circled in yellow has been removed and there is about half of the lower bushing making the ride horrible. Obviously Im not driving until I get the bushings and end links repalced. Then I will get the torsion bars tightened to get an ok ride height. I got the car for cheap and the guy I got it from said the guy before him lowered the front end and took those bushings out. Do you have a suggestion on front shocks for the wagon?

View attachment 52680
You can find Moog kits pretty cheap, I think the part number is Moog K7108.

I'm using KYB Excel G shocks.

318wagon

Reaction score
You can find Moog kits pretty cheap, I think the part number is Moog K7108.

I'm using KYB Excel G shocks.
Thank you for the info on the bushing kit. How is the ride with KYB Excel G shocks? Stiff, firm, soft? Also. I have about 1" of threads to tighten on the torsion bars. How much will that raise the front end of the wagon?

20240408_171147.jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Thank you for the info on the bushing kit. How is the ride with KYB Excel G shocks? Stiff, firm, soft? Also. I have about 1" of threads to tighten on the torsion bars. How much will that raise the front end of the wagon?

View attachment 52691
I'd say the shocks are average. Not too hard but not too soft (but not spectacular either)
Here's a video on adjusting the torsion bars

Getting new leaf springs will raise the car too

Aspen500

Reaction score
You should be able to get to stock height. One turn of the bolt raises it more than you'd think. Just remember, the left bolt adjust the right side and vice versa.

On shocks, can't speak for the KYB Excell but don't recommend the KYB Gas Adjust. Those are WAY too stiff for street use (JMO). Had them on my car and it rode like there was no suspension at all. Monroe OE Spectrum are good. Made a HUGE difference in ride and driving enjoyment.

Was going to say earlier about S6 vs V8 t-bars being the same, a small block V8 is only roughly 50 lbs heavier than a S6.

Last edited:
Back