1980 Aspen front bumper filler

PursuitSpecial

Reaction score
The front rubber/plastic/whatever filler piece that connects the front bumper to the grille on my Aspen fell apart after years of sitting in the elements. Does anyone make these or does anyone have one in good shape?

IMG_20230620_142942812_HDR.jpg

LSM360

Reaction score
If anyone knows if a Diplomat one will fit I have a very nice one for sale at a nice price. I don't have it listed for sale anywhere it's in my garage as a spare. Let's see if anyone knows if it'll fit. They are similar for sure.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I think they are a bit different because of the diplomats more pointy grille.
They should have left them like the older ones. 79 m-body anyway the front filler was metal and tucked into the bumper.

DCAspen

Reaction score
F body and M body are different, one year only on the F body

LSM360

Reaction score
They are quite similar in shape, although I understand what ya'll are saying about differences. Might work with some mods??

00-1988-dodge-diplomat-in-arizona-wrecking-yard-photograph-by-murilee-martin.jpg

$_1.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Off topic a bit, I always wondered why they changed the f-body front clip (and rear bumper) for the last model year, unless maybe they were planning to build f's longer(?).

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Get yourself a long piece of exhaust pipe for a boiler and cut and bend it to shape. It's what I did for the missing rear filler on my car. I had a piece laying around. The existing curve of the metal was helpful. The ends might be difficult but it'll fill in most of it so it's not as noticeable

Screenshot_20230628-182743_Gallery.jpg

DCAspen

Reaction score
M body has a smaller grille area and more pointed in the front.parted out an 80 diplomat years ago and definitely was shaped different than a F body

LSM360

Reaction score
Off topic a bit, I always wondered why they changed the f-body front clip (and rear bumper) for the last model year, unless maybe they were planning to build f's longer(?).
I always wondered too. Certainly not cost effective.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The front rubber/plastic/whatever filler piece that connects the front bumper to the grille on my Aspen fell apart after years of sitting in the elements. Does anyone make these or does anyone have one in good shape?

View attachment 50175
May be someone on here has one on a parts car. Start a wanted thread.

DCAspen

Reaction score
I own 2 cars and there is no part # on either one

IMG_1406.jpeg

DCAspen

Reaction score
I don’t see on any of the eBay pictures as to where they are getting that part #, I checked both of my cars and nothing,I would ask where they found that part # because mine have none and all the photos on eBay don’t show any except the one.enlarging the pictures should show it on the backside………nothing.The good thing is that definitely looks like a 80 front F body bumper filler

PursuitSpecial

Reaction score
Thanks. I found the same thing in my parts manual, it appears as if the number he's listing is a reference number not used for service. I asked LSM360 if there's a number on his filler that I can match. If not I'll probably just buy one from the guy on ebay and hope it fits, it definitely looks similar.

DCAspen

Reaction score
Now that I looked again,the part with the numbers on it is not the same part as the other 3,look closely and it is wider and the edges are different.Upon further inspection that is the bumper filler you are looking for, considering he doesn’t know what he has I would low ball offer and I bet he’ll take it to move its

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
That ebay listing doesn't look like the later diplomat bumper filler. So maybe it's right for your car? Mine has a notch on either side of the grill
20230703_140238.jpg

PursuitSpecial

Reaction score
I suspect it is. Even if it's a diplomat filler, the two are so close it wouldn't take much modification to fit them. It mounts with a metal strip to the bottom of the grille, same as my Aspen. I sent an offer for it, need to get some TT4 color match paint as well

Back