1985 Gran Fury - Decatur AL - SOLD

LT512

Reaction score
Looks real good, that’s about as clean as you’ll find anywhere. What’s the plans, Gen3 hemi swap?
Small stuff right now. I got a car with a 392 HEMI in it already, so I kinda like the old school grandpa in this one. It has 43,800 miles now, so debating on if it is ok to change transmission fluid without screwing it up. It needs some things replaced in the front suspension that I believe have just deteriorated over the years of not being driven a lot. It pulls left but had an alignment 3 years ago at a Chevy dealership according to Carfax. Tires are 9 years old, so looking at maybe some Uniroyal Tiger Paws to replace the Hankooks that are on it now. Also looking into replacing hoses as those can't be 100% at this age. I am thinking of replacing the turbines with full wheel covers. Also have 1 reverse light not working with a new bulb and 1 tail light with a loose wire that flickers when you move the wire any at all. I am not a mechanic, so will be getting the lean burn looked at and considering deleting that altogether. Someone mentioned Edlebrock intake and carb replacements as an option and I might go that route. On the plus side, air blows cold, heat will run you out of the car, and radio works fine. I smile everytime I drive it. My 77 year old dad threatens to keep it.

Here is my 392
1709226015415.jpeg

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
Edelbrock performer intake, ignition system, 600cfm carb and a clean header and dual exhaust system does a lot for these things.
You can get into the weeds with suspension. If you start looking at anything outside of stock replacement parts, you’ll start to lose the comfortable ride quality but, there’s a lot to gain in handling/performance if you do “upgrade” parts.

LT512

Reaction score
Edelbrock performer intake, ignition system, 600cfm carb and a clean header and dual exhaust system does a lot for these things.
You can get into the weeds with suspension. If you start looking at anything outside of stock replacement parts, you’ll start to lose the comfortable ride quality but, there’s a lot to gain in handling/performance if you do “upgrade” parts.
Yeah, I'll try to stay close to stock on the suspension. I'll have to see what the treasury can stand on the engine side lol. At a minimum, I want it to run smooth and have a little more power. It really doesn't have a "passing gear" per se right now like you would normally think of in a V8. I've had several 302 Fords that had better passing acceleration. Perhaps something is out of adjustment preventing that.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
It's the lame 7 1/4 axle with the ridiculous gear ratio combined with a 3 speed transmission. You can try and make adjustments to the kickdown linkage but at the end of the day, an old town car moves better than these things do stock

LT512

Reaction score
It's the lame 7 1/4 axle with the ridiculous gear ratio combined with a 3 speed transmission. You can try and make adjustments to the kickdown linkage but at the end of the day, an old town car moves better than these things do stock
Yep, it definitely has the 7 1/4 and 3 speed, so that's it. Oh well, I didn't buy it to race. If it just runs good and smooth I'm happy. It's more of my little piece of history. I just wouldn't trust it for a trip over about 50 miles until I get the hoses and stuff replaced. I got a Wix oil filter to carry in when I get the fluids replaced. Might do that at the Chrysler place just to see their faces lol. I wish Mopar would stock the filters for these still.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Yep, it definitely has the 7 1/4 and 3 speed, so that's it. Oh well, I didn't buy it to race. If it just runs good and smooth I'm happy. It's more of my little piece of history. I just wouldn't trust it for a trip over about 50 miles until I get the hoses and stuff replaced. I got a Wix oil filter to carry in when I get the fluids replaced. Might do that at the Chrysler place just to see their faces lol. I wish Mopar would stock the filters for these still.
I mean if you really wanted to: Chrysler Small Block 318/340/360 Oil Filter - Mopar PN 0FE00292 - 1st Gen Industries I don't know if it'll fit but it might

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Looks really nice!
Especially already having the charger I'd tend to leave it alone in that condition. Check out the carb and ignition because something with that is probably causing the slowness. I've always found stock with everything working properly they're decent enough to drive and I've got other cars like a Charger if I want to drive something faster.

LT512

Reaction score
Mechanic said I needed a square bore edlebrock intake. I see the performer has a model that looks like the original and then a Performer RPM that has a square bore and the thermostat mount it turned a different direction. Which did you go with? He also said to go with a Holley 600 cfm electric choke. I got the Lean Burn delete kit ordered already. This work wont be done till summer tho.

Camtron

Reaction score
I used the Performer with the spreadbore and a Holley Street Demon 625CFM carb. The Street Demon fits nearly every spread and square bore intake without and adapter and are, in my opinion anyway, about as easy to work on as you’ll find.

Edelbrock 2176 Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifolds | Summit Racing

Street Demon 1901 625 CFM 4 Barrel Carburetor, Polymer Main Body

Had the Street Demon on the Performer and 318LA ran great, have it on a 5.9Magnum with a square bore Air-Gap intake, still running great.

Last edited:

LT512

Reaction score
I used the Performer with the spreadbore and a Holley Street Demon 625CFM carb. The Street Demon fits nearly every spread and square bore intake without and adapter and are, in my opinion anyway, about as easy to work on as you’ll find.

Edelbrock 2176 Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifolds | Summit Racing

Street Demon 1901 625 CFM 4 Barrel Carburetor, Polymer Main Body

Had the Street Demon on the Performer and 318LA ran great, have it on a 5.9Magnum with a square bore Air-Gap intake, still running great.
Thanks man...appreciate it

Back