1988 5th, can I just take the smog pump out?

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
No emissions, still has the cat. Remove the belt and pump, what do you do with with the air tubes?

2023-09-24 20.05.00.jpg

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
It's the smog pump isn't seized, then leave it alone. It just pushes air into the cats to prevent soot build up. If you take it out, and have a lean burn system, you're gonna create a vacuum leak and a potential timing problem.

Someone dumped my smog pump before I bought the car. It makes no difference. There's zero reason to do it unless it's seized

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If you remove it plug what's left of the lines.
But yes there is no reason to remove it if everything else is stock unless it's seized up.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I agree. Leave it be unless you're going further in. The main cat needs to be removed as well. Without the air injection the cat will plug up.

That being said the air tubes bolt to the back of the exhaust manifolds. There is enough room to get the bolts out without removing the manifolds. Cut the pipes 1" from the flange, pinch and fold over in a vice. Reinstall. All set.

69-

Reaction score
Even if it is seized, you could disassemble it, clean it of the carbon buildup and get it working again. :cool:

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
The engine isn't fully stock, nor is it built or anything lol. 4 barrel and intake, and electronic ignition upgrade.

The pump is making an awful racket, so it is sure to go sometime soon. Ill keep it on there as long as possible I suppose. But if it goes, pipes on the head, and remove cat. alright. Thankya!

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
The thing that makes the racket is the aspitator valve that was hooked up to the 2bbl air cleaner. While it was in there, it was quiet. or at least not loud.
But with a 4bbl on it now, I bet you just left that thing sticking up, and so yeah, that valve is awful noisy. And, of course, if you did that, then the Air pump has been sucking unfiltered air ever since. You can just cap that valve, which should make it a lot quieter.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Check also that the aspirator check valves on the end of the tubes only allow flow in one direction. If they fail, exhaust pulses will cause a "rattling" noise. Normally though, the rubber hoses and/or diverter valve will end up melting also. Just an idea to look at.

Back