$30,000 - "affordable car"

Justwondering

Reaction score
I laughed out loud. These people have been drinking their own Kool-aid.

In what world is $30,000 (after government subsidies) an affordable car? Big news that Chevy Bolt is first 'affordable', long-range electric car. Say what?

That is not affordable.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I'm still PO'ed that GM stole my car names when I tried to buy Chrysler.
I had stated that I'd build the electric Dodge Volt on a Neon chassis and try to make it $10,000 for a base model
Base-no carpet, no radio, crank windows, ect.
The 'government oil' didn't like that.

Remember, the people who say 'affordable', think nothing of tossing 7 bucks for a glass of sparkling spring water or have $16 glasses of orange juice at the 5 star hotel

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I laughed out loud. These people have been drinking their own Kool-aid.

In what world is $30,000 (after government subsidies) an affordable car? Big news that Chevy Bolt is first 'affordable', long-range electric car. Say what?

That is not affordable.

It's totally affordable with those 168 low biweekly payments on a car that you'll never really own.

I own all three of my cars outright for a third of the cost of a yaris.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I couldn't make the monthly payment with the same money I buy cars.
The $600 F/A I drive, the $352 Lebaron I have stored for winter, ect.

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
Screw the Voltard. It's dirty and doesn't offset the carbon footprint even with the subsidies offsetting price. The Chevy is as big a turd as is the Toyota and the Honda Hybrid competition. If you're in the market segment that would consider such a purchase, The Ford Fusion Hybrid is the best money can buy until you double your investment in BS and pony up for a Mercedes Hybrid. Of course, the reality of all their huge manufacture carbon footprints and terrible recyclability issues with batteries which die before payments complete vastly outweigh anything the envirotard consumer hopes to achieve. Unless their only goal is to send less money to 'big oil' while causing just as much pollution in a different manner.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yeah, I always laugh when a $30,000 (any make/type) car is called "affordable". If that's affordable, I am doing something VERY wrong, lol.

slant6billy

Reaction score
crap parking lot.jpg
sea of soul.jpg
sea of kia.jpg

Nobody wants a throwaway 30 grand car. The US importer in Philadelphia has to park these plastic boxes in surplus. Send the plastic turds to the bottom of the sea. They are taking up valuable parking spots

Aspen500

Reaction score
Those cars being just plain butt ugly wouldn't have anything to do with it, would it? lol
Nissan Cube...................Really?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Perfect little cars designed for the neutered male, fun girl or Stepford family. All for the low "affordable" price of $30,000. Riiiiiiight..

Rattle Trap

Reaction score
I don't know how a purely plug in vehicle is "affordable" at all. It's not really green and what's a person to do when all the coal plants get shut down and there's electricity rationing? People getting laid off left and right in the coal region. Do they think these things run on good thoughts and Hope?

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I'll tell ya, I grew up with a bottomless gas card from my father's company, I put MANY, MANY miles on my the road as a strictly single man in my 20s either unemployed or bouncing from one part time job to another. I'd LOVE to have a car I could plug in and use to commute. The Volt isn't a bad car IMHO, but when I think about it, if I could afford it, I wouldn't need it. Can't wait until they're cheap used either, since the battery packs will cost more than the car and they only last for so long..

That's my 4 cents worth lol

slant6billy

Reaction score
I don't know how a purely plug in vehicle is "affordable" at all. It's not really green and what's a person to do when all the coal plants get shut down and there's electricity rationing? People getting laid off left and right in the coal region. Do they think these things run on good thoughts and Hope?
Dude, Don't they run on unicorn farts and boy band shrines?

Monkeyed

Reaction score
A lot of the newer cars I've driven seem to have been designed around the concept that the tallest person in the world is 5'6" at 6' and even with electric seats that lower I'm looking right straight through the very top of the dam windshield on them.

Back