350 Hp 318?

XfbodyX

Reaction score
They started out as 30k mile std 340 rods and I copied what DC did to there race prep rods (not there oval track heavy hemi style rods) just lightened to within 15 grams of the thin 273/318 rods, magged, shot peaned and polished beams, rebushed and resized with arp bolts.

Bud, the heads you mentioned are good ones with hardened ex seats installed, unfortunately they wouldnt buy a family dinner if you tried to sell them but good stock if you already have them. I almost had a set bought but one time for $50 but the fella wouldnt ship them.

a.JPG

b.JPG

c.JPG

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Maybe you could start your thread and BudW can move the posts in this thread over.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I “believe” I had hardened seats installed into them, with guides, after I retired the engine – but that was 35 years ago (can’t remember). I would think it wouldn’t be hard to confirm using magnaflux – maybe. I was thinking it’s not easy finding 440 closed chamber heads – and people still look for them, so I said I’ll just keep them (with my J cylinder heads) – just in case.

Not really thought anything more about them. Maybe they might do good on an early ‘80’s low compression 318 . . . or maybe not. Not checked nor had a reason to check.
BudW

Miradaman

Reaction score
Lots of good ideas here. I built a 300+ 318, and put it in my 81 Miranda. I started with a roller cam 2bbl engine out of a 85 fifth avenue. I tore it down to the short block. I spent 3 days porting and polishing the heads. I put a 444 lift hydraulic cam and lifters in. Plus had to change the pushrods to longer ones. A double roller steel timing set at 4 degrees advanced. Ported a stcks Thermoquad intake, and used a remanufactured carb. Put new oil pump and seals. Made a recurved distributor. Used good headers from Jeg's
Also modified the valve body on the 904 Torque flite, and added a tranny cooler. Got an 8.25 rear from a cop car with 2.94 gears.It ran great an got an average of 15 mpg on the street.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
They started out as 30k mile std 340 rods and I copied what DC did to there race prep rods (not there oval track heavy hemi style rods) just lightened to within 15 grams of the thin 273/318 rods, magged, shot peaned and polished beams, rebushed and resized with arp bolts.

Bud, the heads you mentioned are good ones with hardened ex seats installed, unfortunately they wouldnt buy a family dinner if you tried to sell them but good stock if you already have them. I almost had a set bought but one time for $50 but the fella wouldnt ship them.

View attachment 32003

View attachment 32004

View attachment 32005
Any progress?
I'm looking forward to your build.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Im a little busy with work (getting crops out) and ive done something bad to my leg, ripped or torn something but I will start it new this weekend.

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I finished the upper 1/2 inch of a intake bowl today and need to clean up the one cut you see in the chamber (go a bit deeper to the same level as the oem cut. I also cut the upper ex bowls to match the hardened seat inside OD because as you can see in the pics they were not very concerned about some of the machine work that didnt matter.

I got them with a few thousands and can sand paper roll them flush, I can cut these on my mill faster and easier then I could by hand and will clean up what I need to by hand.

I looked over my org. heads for this motor and in addition to no hardened inserts there looked to be no advantage to use the older 100k mile casting that id have had to put guides in.

Ive alot to clean up on the intake runnes since these are the same castings used on the roller cam heads but with the smaller non roller holes for the pushrods. But it will be easy to get them to the older, bigger oem 318 runners and then go some more, the line in the pics is where the edge of the pr rod runs so there is alot to remove and then some of the devider.

Im not going to get too carried away just whatever gains the 1.78 to 1.88 bring and intake runners, a bit wider on the throat, short turn bring is all im doing. If I wanted to do more id just use some 2.02 J with almost nothing done to them.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Yea, I should start a new one on this... maybe this weekend.

But a good fella here sold me a Y pipe he had made up that was substantially bigger then oem and sine im going to run the oem but cleaned up a bit here and there org. to the car ex manifolds I tossed up a 318 (dippy roller block and new heads, anyone looking for a 318 roller project, let me know ive alot, all the new parts to dump).

Ive a nice full system and a cool muffler to run a stealth single ex. system.

I dont know wtf I was thinking but since I dont do much oem like stuff I didnt think I could mock this up on the real 318 itself thats on the stand, seems I could of.

Although this is a bit better then stock stealth build it looks like the bigger capacity oil pan will work and since the car has deep gears and will run warmer then some others I probably will use it.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Oldiron440

Reaction score
The hardened seat install looks familiar, cleans the bowls up nicely.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks sharp!

Quite the mixture of colors: orange, blue, black, stainless, rust and chrome (and yes – I know its only a mock up).
BudW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
I wish I had a reason to build that one I tested the y pipe on, its either more parts laying around or one big pile of parts laying around. Both not good.

Back