360 LA, Fast Burn or Magnum

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This has come up for sale on my local Auction site about half a mile from where I live, how do I tell what it is, he has said the block casting number is 53020005-360 which suggests its a 360 but the rest of the number I can't find any reference too. He said he has no idea what year it came out of or how many miles was just with a bunch of engines he imported from Japan.

Any signs I should look for before I commit to buying?

He says its out of a dodge truck year unknown, comes with trans, can I unbolt the transfer case and use it as a normal trans for a car?

Any casting numbers to look for and where for engine and trans?

Is there any signs from the photos what it is?

Do the amount of valve cover bolts give anything away what it could be?

365968228.jpg
365968641.jpg
365969077.jpg

Thanks
Bruce

365968228.jpg

365968641.jpg

365969077.jpg

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Ok I checked my LA engine and it looks like it has 3 bolts on the side of the rocker cover and this one has 5 bolts so would make it a magnum??

Mcfly68

Reaction score
That is a magnum 360....10 bolt valve covers AND mpfi....1993 to 2003. Yes you can unbolt the trans and run a regular car trans behind it...BUT you will need either a magnum torque convertor or a special weighted flex plate for magnum 360 engines as it is balanced differently from the early 360's. There is also the matter of fuel delivery and spark. Magnum carb intakes are available, and you will need to change the distributor or run an aftermarket box ( magnum distributor doesnt control ignition timing, turning it changes injector sync). The Magnum 360 if properly taken care of will show next to no wear, due to newer ring/piston and bearing technologies. If that motor came out of Japan, it should be right around the 100,000km mark due to their insane emission laws, so I wouldnt even open it up. Swap the distributor, drop on a carb and intake, a car oil pan and pickup ( a regular la360 car pan and pick up will work), and go.

Last edited:

Mcfly68

Reaction score
mis understood your trans question..no you cant just unbolt the transfercase. Better off just using a car 904 or 727. I cant tell from the pic if it is a 7 pin or 3 pin connector for the wire harness by the shift linkage...if it is a 3 pin..then 1993 to 95...7 pin is 96 to 03....without seeing the other side of the trans cant tell if it is a 44r or 46r (both where available, I have a 44rh out of a 1 ton van)

Last edited:

Monkeyed

Reaction score
the intake hump is the most obvious give-away that it's a magnum, hard to tell how much of the wiring is there for the harness, you'd need an computer for it to run the efi. not sure if those used electronically coded ignition keys or not

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Bruceynz:

You may want to check the cylinder heads for cracking, which the Magnum heads are prone to doing. Even if they are cracked, it is not always a fatal issue.

Kostas

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Ok I would run an after market computer like a megasquirt, they are easy to get going but will have to have a tuner tune the engine, but on the magnum swap site it says the factory injection is not suitable for performance, but if I left it as stock I could uses the EFI system and it would work fine. Option 2 would be to convert to a carb set up, I do have a new dizzy and orange module here I bought on ebay. Also have a Holley 1850s carb sitting here and an edelbrock performer intake but its for the LA heads. What else do I need to make it work :)

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ok I went and checked the engine out today, the diff head up front is cracked not that I had a use for it, will still have good parts in it, what will it be dana 44? The Trans set up is HUGE!!!! on it, The engine number is 53020006 360 so that clarifies that.

So what do I need to fit in my doba.

Distributor and ignition module of which I already have
Intake manifold of which I have a LA Edelbrock performer, I think I read it needs to have the heads redrilled or buy a new intake for the heads, where can I get one from?
Carb - anyone recommend one for the 360, 600cfm??
Sump and pick up for the front sump?
What will I need for a trans, will I get away using my 904? will I need to beef it up or do I just use it until it stops then rebuild it stronger? What about the balancing of the 360, will my TQ bolt to the flexi plate and have no issues or will I need to get some balance stuff worked out? Is it the flexi plate that is balanced so my TQ on my 318 engine will bolt on or is it the converter that is balanced? Will the TQ the magnum has now mate up with my old 1983 904 lock up?

Just for your reference its not going to be a racing car, just a daily driver, but the magnum is a huge upgrade over the smogger 1983 318 engine I have now! Also can use the new oils in it because it is a roller cam engine

As for the engine I could just run a megasquirt ECU and then all need to buy is that and a fuel pump.

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited:

Mcfly68

Reaction score
You will need a left side la360 engine mount ( you could space the left side 318 mount to fit, but mounts are pretty cheap), the right side from your 318 will work, a LA360 car oil pan and pickup. Keep the converter mated to the trans you are using (non weighted converter...so if using the trans behind your 318, use the converter for that trans as it is neutral balanced...DONT use a la360 converter) . use the magnum flexplate ( it is weighted)..one hole will need very slightly ovaled for the converter ( a hand file will work quickly). Mega squirt or carb, you will need to change the distributor and use the ignition system on the car ( if it is lean burn, convert to an "orange" box). If using a carb, I would get a magnum carb manifold...you could redrill the manifold, but easier to get the proper intake. Edelbrock makes one, there is also a chinese knock off that is actually pretty good and pretty cheap too ( crosswind intake...ebay special)..use a newer mini starter ( which it has on it in the pictures). I would go a bit larger on the carb...700-750cfm vac secondary. You will also need an electric low pressure pump and reg for carb ( no provision for mechanical pump on magnums) and high pressure stuff for efi....I think that is about it...been awhile since I have done one of these...but that should put you close..it sounds harder than it actually is. There is nothing wrong 904 trans, people think they are weak...in stock form..yes....but with a few parts...the biggest being changing out the Belleville spring, and adding extra clutches...they work and live behind even big blocks ( there is an adapter kit to install behind a b/rb)..they are lighter and take less power to turn and the drums dont exploded like a 727 in high rpm

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Ok I just looked at the build sheet of my car, it has D33 option which looks like the A999 auto trans, the A999 was the wide ratio heavier duty 904?? if this is the case will it handle a 360 Magnum ok?

From wiki:
A998 (31RH)

The A998, later renamed 31RH was a medium-duty, wide-ratio version of the small-frame A904 transmission for use with medium-power V8 engines and the 3.9 L V6 engine. It was equipped with four direct friction plates. This transmission differed from the A904 by having a lower first and second gear ratios to allow the lower-powered engines to provide better acceleration without sacrificing highway fuel economy.
A999 (32RH)

The A999 (later renamed 32RH) was a heavier-duty, wide-ratio version of the small-frame A904 transmission for use with medium-power V8 engines and the 3.9 L V6 engine. It was equipped with five direct friction plates. These automatics had lower first and second gear ratios to allow the lower-powered engines to provide better acceleration without sacrificing highway fuel economy.

build_sheet.jpg

Build_Sheet_codes.jpg

build_sheet.jpg

Build_Sheet_codes.jpg

Last edited:

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Mcfly68,

Many thanks for all your advice, the auction for the engine ends at the end of the week. I do not know much about roller cams, what is a good roller cam for a 360 and can still retain the stock converter? Am I going to have any issues using my 318 torque converter on a 360 with the stall speed? Can I just use a standard LA distributor and orange module.

These are the items I have on my watch list, can you please check and see what you think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400846617896?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380587331808?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221346974042?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-STEE...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f326957f2&vxp=mtr

Thinking to buy a cam like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-Cams-2...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c972b9355&vxp=mtr

What are your thoughts on the cam, will it idle nice, really know nothing about roller cams.

and this is the distributor I already have

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proform-Ele...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On the local auction site is a (11" 727 converter. 2300 stall. was behind my 360. worked very well. would work well on stout 318. 7/16 bolt. was in car short time only.) would this be a good option to bolt up on to the 360 mag and let me run a bigger cam? Guy said the converter is neutral balance, then I would need a small block 727 which I have located in the USA.

Many Thanks
Bruce

Last edited:

Mcfly68

Reaction score
That plug is the neutral safety start switch and reverse lights...there should be one more electrical connector that plugs into the trans..that is for the OD and lockup features..if it is a 3 wire plug it is pre 96, the 7 wire plug is 96 and up. Your distributor and ignition box is fine..everything seems good you have picked...only thing I don't particularly like is the oil pan...I have never had good luck getting chrome anything to seal up properly, for me always ends up leaking. As for the cam, I don't like to recommend cams. The vehicle has to be looked at as a package, and what you want the car to do...my idea of street may be your idea of race and your idea of fast may be my idea of slow etc. Something like the old comp xe 262 grind ( just for ideas on specs, modern cams are better now) was a decent stick with just a hint of thump and produced good vacuum. To give you an idea of what my idea of streetable is.. I have ran a 440 with an MP purple shaft 292 mechanical cam on the street with a 3800 stall converter. My 5.7 hemi runs a comp xfi 273 with .550 lift and almost 230 duration @ .50 lift. I would check out maybe hughes cams, or new comp grinds...even shoot them an email with everything right down to tire size for their recommendations on a grind. The 2300 stall is a great converter for the street with some decent gears ( 3.5's or so) and a mild cam

Last edited:

aspen77rt

Reaction score
Check out magnumswap.com good info there. An La 360 pan will fit the newer magnums IIRC. The La 318 will not.

You'll need a center sump too for your doba.

Last edited:

aspen77rt

Reaction score
Hi Mcfly68,

Many thanks for all your advice, the auction for the engine ends at the end of the week. I do not know much about roller cams, what is a good roller cam for a 360 and can still retain the stock converter? Am I going to have any issues using my 318 torque converter on a 360 with the stall speed? Can I just use a standard LA distributor and orange module.

These are the items I have on my watch list, can you please check and see what you think.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400846617896?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380587331808?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221346974042?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-STEE...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f326957f2&vxp=mtr

Thinking to buy a cam like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMP-Cams-2...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c972b9355&vxp=mtr

What are your thoughts on the cam, will it idle nice, really know nothing about roller cams.

and this is the distributor I already have

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proform-Ele...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On the local auction site is a (11" 727 converter. 2300 stall. was behind my 360. worked very well. would work well on stout 318. 7/16 bolt. was in car short time only.) would this be a good option to bolt up on to the 360 mag and let me run a bigger cam? Guy said the converter is neutral balance, then I would need a small block 727 which I have located in the USA.

Many Thanks
Bruce

Once your engine and drivetrain combo is set, get a custom grind on the cam. Not much more than an OTS cam.

Back