360 LA timing chain on Magnum

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a new timing chain for a LA, I used it on my magnum, I have lined it up with the dot at the top of the key way on the crank, is that right?

tc.jpg

Bruceynz

Reaction score
It looks like its all ok, I turn it around by hand and the mark on the harmonic dampener lines up with with the 0 degree mark on the timing chain cover when the piston is at the top and both lifters are at their lowest point.

slant6billy

Reaction score
When I did a timing chain swap 25 years ago for the first time, I popped the distributor cap off and put painter's tape on the rotor to ensure it was not going to move. If the cam moved unintentionally, a degree wheel wheel might be needed. If you are certain the movement was minimal, then you could be ok.

To be certain grab a degree wheel. Mr Gasket 1570: 7" Diameter Degree Wheel | JEGS

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok i see the error of my ways and have sorted it. I have used the half round keyway and the O on the crank pulley.

View attachment 26923

View attachment 26924
That will be top dead center on #6. TDC on #1 is straight up with the cam gear and straight up with the crank. Really no big deal but if you drop the distributor in where it's supposed to be it will be 180° off. I you didn't actually degree the cam in make sure you read the instructions that came with the timing set so you install the gears using the 0° keyway slot.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
What I did wrong was used the retard keyway and lined the crank keyway with the dot on cam gear.

Attempt 2 after reading instructions was use the half round key way and line the cam gear dot with the O markings on the crank gear as per instructions.

Hope I got it right this time.

Last edited:
Back