46RE - can it work?

Camtron

Reaction score
i guess more accurate: what will it take to make it work?
I have the complete harnesses and brain boxes from my donor 1998 Ram Van available to work with.
Should I just save time/hassle and try to get a A518/500?
Edit: try to sell it for scratch to rebuild my 999?
Has anyone got a 46RE in their car?...

Enlighten me.

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
I guess a trans-go manual shift kit is an option, but the idea of two toggle switches to control 4th gear and lock up on top of shifting isn’t very appealing.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Through all of my research on the post 96 transmissions, here's what I've got.

Gears 1-3 are hydraulic, OD is electronic. OD is generally what creates a problem in these, however another sore spot is the factory trans cooler. Im not sure where within the circuit, but that would tell me the problem lies within the electrical circuits.

Since you have everything, I'd use it but go ahead and change all of the sensors and solenoids while it's out. I had seen years ago where someone converted the cruise control portion of the stalk to be the OD controller, but I dont know enough about it to really go in depth.

Dads parting out his 01 (trans issue) and its taking everything I've got not to just go get it (also has the 5.9) and stuff engine, trans, computers into my car.

80mirada

Reaction score
96 up uses an electronic governor and the computer controls the valve body. There are a couple of stand alone controllers out there that have been made for them, though not common, there were Megasquirt trans control kits a few guys have used to make one work

Duke5A

Reaction score
Through all of my research on the post 96 transmissions, here's what I've got.

Gears 1-3 are hydraulic, OD is electronic. OD is generally what creates a problem in these, however another sore spot is the factory trans cooler. Im not sure where within the circuit, but that would tell me the problem lies within the electrical circuits.

This is incorrect. 1996 and newer were completely computer controlled and are pretty much unusable outside of factory setups. You need a 1995 and earlier for swaps.

Camtron

Reaction score
Are you swapping the engine and trans, or just the trans? Engine and trans is easy if you have all of the donor parts.
Was planning on engine and trans. I have everything, harnesses, controllers, engine, trans; whole van, lol
What’s the voodoo to get it all working with the transmission?

MS controllers aren’t a route I’m going to take. I don’t know anything about tuning or know anyone who tunes Chrysler/Dodge vehicles to attempt to get it done. I saw another kit that uses some cheap looking solenoids, vacuum fittings and such, but still have to operate o/d and 4th gear with toggle switches, seen people who put in manual valve bodies for a 518 and and shift 1-4 and have a toggle switch for lock up...but if I have an automatic in the car, I’d rather It be able to work automatically most of the time, lol.

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
Are you swapping the engine and trans, or just the trans? Engine and trans is easy if you have all of the donor parts.
I’m particularly curious now. The only other post I could find regarding this was on ForBBodiesOnly.com and it was a incomplete 4/5 year old post. Guy ended up selling his projects and never finished the write up.
He mentioned needing the obd2, pcm, harnesses, abs module and air bag module to get the 46RE working.
Hopefully you can fill me in. I can imagine you had a similar road with your Hemi swap.

brotherGood

Reaction score
This is incorrect. 1996 and newer were completely computer controlled and are pretty much unusable outside of factory setups. You need a 1995 and earlier for swaps.

Hes got the computers and such..I was referring to the situation of swapping everything over as one unit (computers and all)

I know pre '96 is needed for use without the electronic components..I believe the OD was operated via vacuum, right?

Aspen500

Reaction score
.............or early production '96. My '96 Dakota (built 08.15.95) has only O/D and TCC electronic. The valve body is old style with a t.v. (a.k.a. kick down cable). I know, picking nits................

I think at least as far back as '92, O/D and TCC are computer controlled, then mid year '96 and up are fully controlled.

Camtron

Reaction score
I need to do some reading. Could one of you help me obtain a pinout for the van (I hate going to my local dealership)? Me and my buddy cobbled shit together from a Silverado, gto and a gmc van to stick a 5.3 into his mustang and get it running down the road.
I just need patience and to do some reading. Anyone who can help or provide pointers is welcome and would be appreciated.

1216EC15-4BD8-44F8-A9DE-716B02050768.jpeg

80mirada

Reaction score
I would see if your local library has Mitchell manuals in their reference section. They usually have a good wiring diagrams and info in them. I will check and see if I have anything that new. Or maybe Motor Manuals

Camtron

Reaction score
Appreciate it, I’ll see what I can come up with.
Seems like some A body guys may have a write up on their forum, haven’t found it yet just multiple people mentioning having seen it on there.

Camtron

Reaction score
5.9 FI Magnum swap in 73 swinger

magnum engine wiring knowledge

Leaving these here for easy access. It’s not that the dealership by me is bad, I just never buy a car from them, take our cars for repairs or do anything other than bother them for information, lol. They see me coming a mile away. May pay them a visit later this afternoon, lol.

Joe12459

Reaction score
Was planning on engine and trans. I have everything, harnesses, controllers, engine, trans; whole van, lol
What’s the voodoo to get it all working with the transmission?

MS controllers aren’t a route I’m going to take. I don’t know anything about tuning or know anyone who tunes Chrysler/Dodge vehicles to attempt to get it done. I saw another kit that uses some cheap looking solenoids, vacuum fittings and such, but still have to operate o/d and 4th gear with toggle switches, seen people who put in manual valve bodies for a 518 and and shift 1-4 and have a toggle switch for lock up...but if I have an automatic in the car, I’d rather It be able to work automatically most of the time, lol.
No voodoo. The 46re is controlled by the PCM, so if you're planning on using the engine and trans, just use the entire engine harness, including the fuse block/power distribution module, and the wiring that goes inside to the ignition switch. Lay it in just as it comes out of the donor, and connect the power to the fuse block, all grounds, and tie the ignition switch wires into your ignition switch. I've done many of these swaps. It is as close to plug and play as you can get.

Camtron

Reaction score
No voodoo. The 46re is controlled by the PCM, so if you're planning on using the engine and trans, just use the entire engine harness, including the fuse block/power distribution module, and the wiring that goes inside to the ignition switch. Lay it in just as it comes out of the donor, and connect the power to the fuse block, all grounds, and tie the ignition switch wires into your ignition switch. I've done many of these swaps. It is as close to plug and play as you can get.
Can’t thank you enough. You’re the wind beneath my wings, Joe, lmfao.
Do I need to pull the abs/airbag module too or can those be left disconnected?

Camtron

Reaction score
It’s a 360ci boy!
Spent the early afternoon in labor.
What with it being 2020, I should wait and let it self-identify. Can’t go assigning cubic inches and gender.

...maybe it identifies as a 408ci girl. Who knows. Too early to tell.

0869CF3F-685D-4169-BCA5-B8EF54592B29.jpeg

Back