WANTED '78 SE / Premier steering wheel in butterscotch

Status
Not open for further replies.

volare 77

Reaction score
My friend sent his non mopar steering wheel out for repair. It was cracked worse then that. I can`t remember their name at this moment but they did great work. It wasn`t cheap though.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
There is a difference between the plastic wheels on the cars of the seventies and eights and the bakelite type of plastic wheels of the fortys and fiftys and early sixty that were painted. The repair process slightly differe between the two. On the plastic wheels of the wheels of the seventies I would use a hard plastic two part repair from 3M,
3M™ Rigid Parts Repair | 3M United States
This is simply the best product I have found for this type of repair. All parts must be clean and fresh so your going to have to ruff up the plastic that your trying to adhere.
This product stores well and works on many types of repairs.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
My friend sent his non mopar steering wheel out for repair. It was cracked worse then that. I can`t remember their name at this moment but they did great work. It wasn`t cheap though.
This place is out in Carlisle which is not too far from me, but I think I would rather try restoration myself before spending this much having it done. They sure look good in his gallery though! Gary's Steering Wheel Restoration - Plastic & Wood Wheel Restoration for Your Classic or Muscle Car

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Dr. Lebaron! I looked up the wheel in my 1978 Mopar Parts Catalog, and the part number is different, but I still think it is probably the same wheel. Color might not be quite the same though. Anyway, I sent them an email about it, so hopefully we will see soon.
I was really fortunate that Silverd1973 saw this thread and from him I got a very nice wheel with a few cracks in it which I am grateful for and satisfied with:
img_3208-jpg.jpg

However, if I could get an NOS one, I'd be really thrilled! I did find a few really nice toys for OY in recent weeks and will be posting on them when they arrive - hopefully in a week or so.
Thanks again Dr. for keeping an eye out for me. I appreciate it! ;)

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Is this the proper center for your used wheel?
Thanks XfbodyX. I really appreciate the heads up! Yes, that is the center that I would need. Fortunately, I think I still have the one from my '78 Aspen T-top, and another one that is black instead of white, which is in better condition than my white one. Not sure, maybe the black one came off a different model of Dodge with the three spoke wheel. But I like it better. Just have to find it. :eek:

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Thought I would post a few pics of the three spoke wheel that I got from Silverd1973 now that it is mounted on OY. It's great and again I thank Silverd1973 for it! It cleaned up great and the horn buttons work fine. ;) I have to find and replace the Dodge emblem center button that I have around somewhere, and I might put some sort of cover on the rim...or not... for the time being until I can get the cracks repaired...or not. In any case, it's just what I wanted. Now, when I get time (always way too busy) I want to replace the dashpad, dash bezel, glove box door, put in the clock, AM/FM/CB radio, etc. Still need to put the new shifter boot on, and although it has some sentimental value to me, I think I might replace the Hurst T shifter knob with a more traditional black, or maybe white round knob. Also need to put on the plaid door panels. :) All small fun stuff - little projects.

8yFPb1pL-OVXtbc0VI9yWFXTzt9LYMSuAZUBIwlbVw3WEZrgeWxVQtOKbmakX0sL0_hMq8s6OTB51l-fjg=w1248-h702-no.jpg

frRvkkzk8LvxZP6eru5-oy87RB-tNnpKnD1l8jTqLLPiTb-aIzvEzj910_LnzHzGcxNNDjInE1PtZTPceQ=w1248-h702-no.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back