79 slant- THE aspirator??

barbee6043

Reaction score
I can not find what it does in FSM,, I took it off, the manual also does not indicate what the hole in the head the aspirator attaches to, what it actually does??????
Do I need to fab a cover for this hole? I doubt it.
Thanks

Aspen500

Reaction score
If I'm understanding your question correctly, the aspirator is basically a one way check valve for the air injection. It allows air to flow to the port in the head but prevents exhaust gas from going the other way and into the air pump.

You will need to plug the hole in the head. It's connected to a passage in the head which exit into the exhaust manifold. If it's not capped, exhaust, and exhaust noise, will blow out the opening. There was an actual block off plate used at the factory on cars that didn't have an air pump.

The air pump was used to inject air (and it's oxygen) into the exhaust to burn off unburned hydrocarbons. The injected air raises the temp for combustion and also provides oxygen so the unburned fuel can ignite. If it had a diverter valve, there's also a tube and aspirator to the catalyst. Air is injected into the catalyst for the same basic reason, to increase it's temperature. Catalysts only work above a certain temp. Optimum temp is around 820 degrees as measured in the substrate (not the outer case temp).

For what it's worth, the p/n for the plate is 3751249 but it's long ago discontinued.

Last edited:

barbee6043

Reaction score
If I'm understanding your question correctly, the aspirator is basically a one way check valve for the air injection. It allows air to flow to the port in the head but prevents exhaust gas from going the other way and into the air pump.

You will need to plug the hole in the head. It's connected to a passage in the head which exit into the exhaust manifold. If it's not capped, exhaust, and exhaust noise, will blow out the opening. There was an actual block off plate used at the factory on cars that didn't have an air pump.

The air pump was used to inject air (and it's oxygen) into the exhaust to burn off unburned hydrocarbons. The injected air raises the temp for combustion and also provides oxygen so the unburned fuel can ignite. If it had a diverter valve, there's also a tube and aspirator to the catalyst. Air is injected into the catalyst for the same basic reason, to increase it's temperature. Catalysts only work above a certain temp. Optimum temp is around 820 degrees as measured in the substrate (not the outer case temp).

For what it's worth, the p/n for the plate is 3751249 but it's long ago discontinued.

Thanks for the info, that was what I wanted to know. This 79 Volare is very original. but no air pump and looking at it and FSM not sure it came with an air pump. This aspirator has a factory bent hose that goes from the check Valve ( or whatever it is called ) to bottom of air cleaner. I cannot see that it is actually working. I took off the aspitator from the head, I could not find a problem with it running or sense any air movement there, I imagine that passage in the block is plugged with carbon. I will make a block off plate and gasket anyway.
Thanks for the info.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I had totally spaced about the set up you have. It's pulse air, (I believe Chrysler called it aspirator air) and there is no air pump. It uses the exhaust pulses to draw air in through the aspirator valve. The hose goes to the air cleaner to silence the noise. I has a couple cars with the same set up, both were 360's but works the same as a S6.

You can cut the flange off the old aspirator pipe and weld the hole shut and then bolt it back to the head. Not sure if the gasket is available but a little Ultra-Copper RTV will work fine also.

barbee6043

Reaction score
I had totally spaced about the set up you have. It's pulse air, (I believe Chrysler called it aspirator air) and there is no air pump. It uses the exhaust pulses to draw air in through the aspirator valve. The hose goes to the air cleaner to silence the noise. I has a couple cars with the same set up, both were 360's but works the same as a S6.

You can cut the flange off the old aspirator pipe and weld the hole shut and then bolt it back to the head. Not sure if the gasket is available but a little Ultra-Copper RTV will work fine also.

Thanks for the info that is what I did..I got rid on that , the EGR that was froze solid and the vaccum amplifier and associated crap... Thanks

Back