8.25 carrier ID

Dippy82

Reaction score
Hello. My first post. Hope someone can help. I have an8.25 in my diplomat with 3.21 gears. I want to put a sure grip in it and a local guy I know has one. I understand there’s 2 different carriers, correct? One for 2.2 - 2.4 gear ratios and a different carrier for 2.9 and higher ratios (numerically speaking)? The ring gear is missing from the sure grip this guy has. Is there any way to tell what gears will fit the carrier, without knowing what ring gear was on it? Casting numbers? Measurements? Any help greatly appreciated!

volare 1977

Reaction score
Any numbers on it? BTW, Just a warning. When using a used sure grip carrier the original 8 1/4 sure grip most likely will have the OEM auburn type carrier which was not serviced as rebuildable. They wear out over time and are junk after that. So try to make sure you are not buying a worn out unit.

volare 1977

Reaction score
sold on amazon

Spartan Locker for Chrysler 8.25", 27 spline, with heavy-duty cross pin shaft SL C8.25-27​

I never tried this but I see it is a option on the 8 1/4 with 27 spline axles.

Last edited:

LSM360

Reaction score
I have a Mopar sure-grip in my 3.21 and Yukon HD gears. Both have held up very well. I'm sorry I don't have the answer to your question but it's true two different ones for different gears. The gears are quiet despite the HP/HD. My sure grip isn't rebuildable type (cone type I believe is the rebuildable) but I wasn't worried about that. I don't do a lot of real hard launches and years down the road if it's worn out I'd just put in a new one.

Dippy82

Reaction score
It’s very possible I am
Any numbers on it? BTW, Just a warning. When using a used sure grip carrier the original 8 1/4 sure grip most likely will have the OEM auburn type carrier which was not serviced as rebuildable. They wear out over time and are junk after that. So try to make sure you are not buying a worn out unitgetting a non rebuildable unit
sold on amazon

Spartan Locker for Chrysler 8.25", 27 spline, with heavy-duty cross pin shaft SL C8.25-27​

I never tried this but I see it is an option on the 8 1/4 with 27 spline axles.
Hey there. Thanks I’ll look into that for sure!

Dippy82

Reaction score
Any numbers on it? BTW, Just a warning. When using a used sure grip carrier the original 8 1/4 sure grip most likely will have the OEM auburn type carrier which was not serviced as rebuildable. They wear out over time and are junk after that. So try to make sure you are not buying a worn out unit.
I’ll keep an eye out for that. It came with the rear end I bought already so it’s already paid for basically. I just do not want to take my well functioning open diff apart to find out if the carrier fits with my current gears. Is there a way to tell by looking at it? Or is it just by part number? The guy will be delivering it soon so I can look closer then, but Is there anything to go off of in the mean time? If not I’ll post the carrier members when I get it. Thanks!

Back