8 3/4 oil bath and axle

slant6billy

Reaction score
Had a center chunk soaking in oil since last week from a Carlisle find. My friend brought over his 67 Plymouth B body complete open rear yesterday to swap the non posi chunk with the posi. This is for his wife's F wagon. Here's where it needed video. I lifted the non posi chuck out of the housing and set it aside in a wheel barrow. I then lifted the posi chuck out of a 5 gallon bucket of gear oil. You guessed it, My hands slipped and SPLASH. I got an oil bathe and about a shots worth in the mouth. I went through a bottle an a half of oxiclean on my chest and stomach. My Amish beard needed to come off anyway. I am still tasting oil today. It went in my ears and nose. Luckily I was wearing dark sun glasses, so only a light splash to the eyes

Skip a head..... Axle bearings were not new and need changing. Anyone got a going price and seller of 8 3/4 axle bearings? Summit/ Jegs any good? or Rock Auto? Or .......

Similar, I'll be rebuilding that posi \ I think Kentner? Kanters? was an ad someone had for a rebuild kit for 45 bucks? I'm attempting this as a favor to my friend who only drives em .... he and his wife don't work on them.

80 Lebaron Coupe

Reaction score
Gear Oil is the worst smelling, sticky, nastiest stuff to get all over you.
I cringe everytime I have to change gear oil in a rearend or tranny.

Last edited:

slant6billy

Reaction score
Sorry, the gear oil has me a little f'ed up.... "Sure grip" was actually where I was at. I have a GM mind set for my neighbor's project at task I'm doing : changing an aircooled powerglide out of a 62 Belair. It is the heavy iron type. See what happens when one multitasks.

My imp

Reaction score
Had a center chunk soaking in oil since last week from a Carlisle find. My friend brought over his 67 Plymouth B body complete open rear yesterday to swap the non posi chunk with the posi. This is for his wife's F wagon. Here's where it needed video. I lifted the non posi chuck out of the housing and set it aside in a wheel barrow. I then lifted the posi chuck out of a 5 gallon bucket of gear oil. You guessed it, My hands slipped and SPLASH. I got an oil bathe and about a shots worth in the mouth. I went through a bottle an a half of oxiclean on my chest and stomach. My Amish beard needed to come off anyway. I am still tasting oil today. It went in my ears and nose. Luckily I was wearing dark sun glasses, so only a light splash to the eyes

Skip a head..... Axle bearings were not new and need changing. Anyone got a going price and seller of 8 3/4 axle bearings? Summit/ Jegs any good? or Rock Auto? Or .......

Similar, I'll be rebuilding that posi \ I think Kentner? Kanters? was an ad someone had for a rebuild kit for 45 bucks? I'm attempting this as a favor to my friend who only drives em .... he and his wife don't work on them.

You know that "posi" additive (GM invented it, so F you!) is made from whale sperm, right! Moby says thank you for that "Happy Ending!"

kkritsilas

Reaction score
GM's posi additive is made from the Sperm Whale spermaceti (a liquid wax/fat in the head of the sperm whale), not the sperm of a whale. Many things used to be made by boiling the spermaceti of sperm whales, including a variety of lubricants. The boiling of the whale spermaceti causes the oil in the to separate from the fat, and that is drawn off, filtered/refined, and those products are/were used in a large variety of products, including older ATF fluids, the posi additives, and other lubricants, along with lamp oil and candles. This oil is what whalers used to hunt sperm whales (almost to extinction) for. Car makers have had to go to non-whale sources for the lubricants (sometimes creating problems) ever since the ban on whaling has come into effect.

Kostas

Last edited:

My imp

Reaction score
Oh well, it sounded good anyway, the guy that told me about the whale sperm/sperm whale was a Chevy line mechanic, so I figured if you worked there 30 yrs you had to learn something? Thanks for the info, but I liked my version better! Larry

slant6billy

Reaction score
I still taste sure grip oil today. The fun part is moving a complete 8 3/4 rear around. The yoke wants to hit the ground all the time.

My imp

Reaction score
Yeah, that stuff is NASTY smelling! Especially when the clutches were fried 20 years ago, & they've been marinating all this time! Yum, yum!

jasperjacko

Reaction score
This has turned out to be a "whale of a tale". I guess it's better though that it was gear oil and not whale sperm, eh!

Back