'80 cmx

RustyDodges

Reaction score
Hi, guys! As my name suggests, I own a rusty '80 Mirada CMX. My daily driver is a '98 Dakota. I am a lifelong Mopar fan and a 30 year Mopar owner.
Truth be told, I am thinking of selling off my J-body stuff to focus on Dakotas. Seeing all the sweet Mirada pics here is making it hard, though.
Perhaps we'll meet in the "for sale" forums.

RustyDodges

Reaction score
Welcome aboard.
Fix it and keep it. :sunny:

Let's see some pics.....we love car pics.

I go back and forth on keeping it...but there's the rust issues, mandatory mechanical repairs, technical and durability upgrades (suspension rubber has to go!) and all the costs involved.... I get discouraged.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Where are you located? Also, we'll need to see pictures of the CMX. What engine does it have?

The nice thing about these FMJ's is that there's probably not another car that's easier to work on. Eliminating the rubber ISO system is easy and relatively cheap. Not many cars cheaper to work on either. But Dakotas are cool. I just found my original window sticker and other info from the '95 Dakota Sport short bed/short cab 318 that I stupidly sold years ago. That truck was bone stock, but screamed. Wish I still had it.

If you sadly end up parting it out, I'd probably be interested in some parts. I feel like a vulture circling, and I don't mean it that way, but just saying :) I hope it's fixable though. I hate to see any rare car be scrapped, and the J-bodies fit the definition of pretty rare to me.

RustyDodges

Reaction score
Hey, '72 Dodge! I had two '72 Chargers at once, so your screen name hits home for me.
My CMX is a 318, triple red, column shift, buckets, no console.
I would much rather see the car or it's parts go to someone who would appreciate them, rather than a scrap yard.

72Dodge

Reaction score
I had a '72 Charger with 33k miles on it. Unfortunately, it had sat outside, so although most of it's parts were pristine, the body was rotted so bad you could almost see through it. Though, my username comes from my birth year. Then after that, I got a '72 Dodge Dart, so it's appropriate for that too.

Post some pics of this Mirada sometime. Maybe we can offer up thoughts or help if necessary. Sometimes all it takes is some motivation from others sharing their experiences.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'm sure I could offer some motivation....
And if you want REAL motivation check out Blackbirdsrt78's thread.
"Second chance at a MOPAR"
Talk about bringing a car back from the abyss.....

RustyDodges

Reaction score
I appreciate the encouragement, guys! I'll see what I can do about pics.
And Captain Caravelle, this is my FOURTH chance at an unusual, collectible Mopar... I let this one get away!
mopp_0604_01z+1972_dodge_charger+front.jpg

mopp_0604_01z+1972_dodge_charger+front.jpg

greyghost

Reaction score
Welcome RD! I have a brother in Tomah, WI who's into Mopars. He has 4 Pick-ups but I'm unsure of the years: A Jeep Comanche (I think the last year Mopar made them), a Dodge Ram (2wd), a Dodge Dakota (4wd), and a '65 Dodge (2wd 318 wide block). He also has a '79 Cordoba. I bought my '79 LeBaron from him. Either decision you make with your CMX, this forum, I believe will be a lot of help and support! Once again welcome!

Back