80 Mirada-$550-Sainte-Marie, QC

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
DODGE MIRADA 1980 | voitures d'époque | Lévis | Kijiji

If I owned a J, man, just the windshield and quarter extensions would be worth the price of admission.
$_27qc.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I would jump on that, if I lived a lot closer. It would cost me 3-4 times that, to get it shipped to me.

Also, I don’t know any French, except for French fries, French bread, French toast . . .

LyonAdmiral

Reaction score
This is less than 20 miles away from me... of course I do not have the passport or enhanced drivers license to cross the border. :(

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
French kiss
menage a trois...........................sacre blu
voulet vous couche avec moi......d'onk!
je m'apple Francois...............Vous ette une cachon
Commane t'apple tu...............alors
Je suis desole........................Donne moi une bec
Mon amie t'apple Gisele.........moi aussi

See, I did too learn something in French class!

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Miradas do not weigh anywhere near 4200 lbs. From the 1980 sales brochure, a Mirada has a curb weight of 3373 lbs. The 1982 Mirada manual shows a curb weight of 3395 lbs. Add in a couple of hundred pounds in options and a V8, and you still don't come anywhere near 4200 lbs.

Also, while you may have learned a something in French class, spelling wasn't it.
voulet vous couche avec moi......d'onk! is actually voulez-vous, and its donc.
je m'apple Francois...............Vous ette une cachon is Je m'appele...Vous etes...cochon
Commane t'apple tu...............alors is Comment t'appele tu.....
Je suis desole........................Donne moi une bec
Mon amie t'apple Gisele.........moi aussi is Mon amie s'appele.....

etc., etc., etc.

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
I had no clue what all that means..
Tex-Mex Spanish and sign language are my languages other than Texan.
Here's what google translated it to be:
Voulet you sleep with me ...... of onk! Is actually do you want, and its so.
Je m'apple Francois ............... You are a cachon is Je m'appele ... You are ... pig
Commane you apple you ............... then is How you call you .....
I'm sorry ........................ Give me a beak
My girlfriend gets you Gisele ......... me too is My girlfriend is called .....

no wonder you are all so confused... lol

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Translated for proper meaning vs. the Google word for word translation:

voulez-vous couche avec moi=Would you like to sleep with me.
Je m'appele Francois=My name is Francois or I am called Francois
Vous etes une cochon=You are a pig (an insult_
Comment t'appele tu=What is your name/What are you called
Je suis desole=I am sorry/sorry
Mon amie s'apple Gisele=My friend's name is Gisele/My friend is called Gisele
moi aussi-Me too/Myself as well.

Note, I didn't put in the proper punctuation marks for the French words, as they are complex to put into a posting on a web page.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
I didn't say I was any good at it, Just that I learned a few catch phrases. I graduated in 72, so I'm sorry if my spelling offended anyone. I slept through most of the grammar, cuz the only thing I wanted from that mandatory course was the credits, upon completion. The only requirement was to pass the tests.
Besides even my english spelling sux so stop pickin on me.lol.
KK
What's the curb weight of my Barracuda? 1968 340 4-spd/8.75 ps/p/b.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I didn't say I was any good at it, Just that I learned a few catch phrases. I graduated in 72, so I'm sorry if my spelling offended anyone. I slept through most of the grammar, cuz the only thing I wanted from that mandatory course was the credits, upon completion. The only requirement was to pass the tests.
Besides even my english spelling sux so stop pickin on me.lol.
KK
What's the curb weight of my Barracuda? 1968 340 4-spd/8.75 ps/p/b.

Just bugging you about the french spelling, all in good fun.

I can't say for sure, as I don't have the sales brochure for the 1968 Barracuda. Just off the top of my head, I would think that it would be 1-200 lbs. lighter, but could be wrong.

Edit: Found this site:

1968 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA Information Specifications Resources Pictures

I would think it would be close to the 2910/3005 lbs. weights shown on that page, add up to 100 lbs, for options like air conditioning, the 8 3/4" rear end, power settering/brkes, etc. Also shipping weight may not include any gas. minimal gas, or a half tank of gas (I don't know) and other fluids.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I thought
My car has been lightened to about 3275, with 18 liters of gas;about 4.8 gallons US,or 30 pounds.
so I think I'll stick to 4200 pound slug.Besides I was just trying to be funny; and you're right I forgot the lol,my bad. I still think it is as ugly as a slug.LOL
I have never seen any car that was anywhere near those published numbers. I have no idea how those numbers were generated, cuz maybe if i drained all the fluids out of my car and removed the Optima, and even if I removed the air from the tires, I still would be nowhere near 3005 pounds. I mean at 3275-40gas=3245base, less 3005curb = 240 pounds to loose. IDK. Did a 1969 battery weigh 200 pounds.lol That ad makes my car at least 8% fat. IMO,There is just no way to get a factory 68 Barracuda 340FormulaS FB down to 3005.
So forgive me if I laugh at that slug being 3373/3395/even 3600/ even plus 8% or 3900.LOL
Fastbacks are just tanks.
Thanx for clarifying about funning on my French. Now just to level the playing field in case you have a Mirada; I was just funning on it being a 4200 pound slug. The point was that I thought it was and still is, one of the all time ugliest cars ever to wear a MOPAR badge, and that I thought it was a bit porky, LOL

Caravelles, now, they have lightweight on their side,heehee.

Last edited:

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Another way to look at it, is the second gen Cordoba (as well as the Mirada, pretty much the same car) were develiped to be 500-700 bls. lighter than the previous B bodied Cordoba/Magnum. Those cars are around the 4000-4200 lbs. mark, so by extension the J bodies (aside from the special case Imperial) are probably in the 3500-3700 range. Could be wrong, could be that the 500-700 lbs. weight loss number is off, too. The numbers from the Mirada manual are what is printed there. Now, adding options to that would increase the weight, by which I mean air conditioning, power windows/locks/seata, more sound deadening, 8.25 rear vs. 8.25 rear, etc. I can even see those numbers being for the /6 version, so add a 100 lbs easy, maybe a little morem for a V8. So I can see a J body V8 being 200-250 lbs heavier than the sales brochure's numbers. I really don't see it being 900 lbs. heavier, however. Allpar is showing a similar weight for the Mirada here: http://www.allpar.com/model/mirada.html; note that it is not the exact same number (7 lbs. heavier on Allpar's site). Again, add in 200-250 lbs for V8 and options, along with whatever amount of gas is in the tank.Still not 4300 lbs.

As for looks, I really like the J bodies' looks. They are very "straight line" designs in a car world where the design have all gone to the "melted candy bar" type of look. I also happen to like the roofline that has the glass in the sail panels, and I am not a fan of the faux convertible top, but I know I am in the minority on that. These are individual tastes, so to each their own in terms of what they like in car design/shapes.

Another point for your '68 Barracuda is here:
Correct weight 68 340 barracuda fastback

Last edited:

80mirada

Reaction score
Mine was 3750 with a half a tank of gas. 360, 727, 8.25 " rear, and A/C. My Magnum (369, 727, 9.25" and A/C) was right at 4200 with half a tank.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
That sounds very much in the ballpark. Figure the Mirada has about a 22 gal. tank. Half that would be around 11 gallons, give or take. A gallon of gas is around 10 lbs., so 11 gallons would be around 110 lbs, so car itself with AC is around 3640. I don't think that the 360 is significantly heavier than a 318, or a 727 is significantly (i.e. >100 lbs) heavier than an A904/A998/A999. So, allowing for some minor differences in options (power seats/locks/windows, vinyl tops with fiberglass under trays, sunroofs, interior materials, extra sound deadening, etc.), I am pretty sure the the average Mirada is in the 3600-3700 lbs. range for a V8, probably 100 lbs. less for a /6, without gas. Very low option cars may be up to 50-100 lbs. less. Any way you look at it, a lot less than 4200 lbs.

P.S. The 1968 Barracuda could have been a fastback or coupe, but note that tne J bodies (all of them) are only coupes.

Last edited:

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
Ok,Ok, I give up, already!lol
But by the time it's tanked up, the spare is aired up, the jack is secured, and me and my wife are ready to go on a day-trip, that poor engine will be pulling more than 4200 pounds! And that will make that sucked out Teener-powered, car a slug for sure! 13.2pounds per cubic inch, slugged out. Minimum.And I haven't even loaded up my dog yet.:(

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Nobody ever claimed that the J bodies were fast, at least in stock form. All cars, from all vendors, of that period were slow, due to a number of factors. Look at what a 1980 Z28 or a 1981 Trans Am, or a 1980 Mustang as examples. There were some years in which the fastest accelerating vehicle (0-60) was the L'il Red Express truck, faster than the Corvette even. As slow as the J bodies were, the previous few years of the late B bodies were slower; in addition to having the same wheezy, low compression, smogger engines, they were carrying a lot more weight around (whatever you spoke about regarding adding people, gas, and your dog would add the same amount of weight to a late B body), but the late B bodies are starting with a 500-600 lbs. weight penalty. Only thing the late B Bodies had were the 360 4 BBL, and a better/stronger rear end in some cases. By today's standards, even a 68 383 Charger, factory original, is also a slug. You can't use today's standards and apply them to the cars of the past.

Fast forward to today. You can put whatever you want into a J body. From a 1 BBL /6 to a Big Block to a Gen III Hemi. Whatever you put into the engine compartment, you are still pushing a significantly lower amount of weight around compared to a late B Bodies. The B Bodies do have a better front suspension set up in theory, but for all intents and purposes, it doesn't make much of a difference for a daily driven car. As for road racers, you probably shouldn't be using either a late B Body or a J Body, even though there are suspension kits available for both cars.

Back