8th graders comment on my car

Justwondering

Reaction score
This past weekend I met my brother and his son down at Dad's place so we could scavage computers for a school project.

Nephew is in 8th grade. Is allowed to practice driving while on the farm. They have a jellybean and an older dodge dakota. Jellybean was the trip car this time.

I drive up. Looking better but still have to put the opera lights in so there are a few wires taped on the outside.

He's standing on the porch when I get out of the car.

'Awesome car. You have a really cool car there!'

Told him thanks and that it is great fun to drive. Offered to let him drive next time he comes up (want to be sure I have the suspension looked at an a/c running before then).

He says 'Really? I can't wait to tell my friend Justin... he will be so jealous.'

Might be we get a new generation interested in FMJ rides.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Could be.
One of the streets I take all the time has a high school on it. Just the other day I'm driving by some kids in my Fifth and I hear one of them say to his buddy "Yo! There's that car again." The other kid just says "So cool!" All the other kids just stare like it's the coolest car they've ever seen.

You never know. Our cars just might be this generations classic cars.

slant6billy

Reaction score
The kids born after 2000 have the world. A bunch of big interested minds. I've got an 8th grader and a 7th grader. Their attention to detail is scary. My oldest took note to a 2015 vette's exhaust and wondered & asked why is it in the center of the back. She asked why it only had 4 letters on the license plate. I said, "That's a vanity plate" and had to stop myself from saying anyone with a vette and vanity plate is compenstaing. I try to keep it clean with the kids in the car. She notice a 370Z and the wider back tires on it. Without hesitation she says, "It's trying to be the Volare with the fat back wheels". I had to explain not all Volare cars have fat back tires like mine . I answer and field questions all day and night. "Hey Dad..... my friends want to know if the Volare is fast?" Oh, it is a struggle not to show what it can do. This year I plan to have my big blue bucket with Hotwheels in it for free (one per kid) at the shows. I've collected quite a bit of Hotwheels- It is where I got my start. So when you throw the keys to your nephew next time, watch how big the eyes get and the smile gets

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
The kids born after 2000 have the world. A bunch of big interested minds. I've got an 8th grader and a 7th grader. Their attention to detail is scary. My oldest took note to a 2015 vette's exhaust and wondered & asked why is it in the center of the back. She asked why it only had 4 letters on the license plate. I said, "That's a vanity plate" and had to stop myself from saying anyone with a vette and vanity plate is compenstaing. I try to keep it clean with the kids in the car. She notice a 370Z and the wider back tires on it. Without hesitation she says, "It's trying to be the Volare with the fat back wheels". I had to explain not all Volare cars have fat back tires like mine . I answer and field questions all day and night. "Hey Dad..... my friends want to know if the Volare is fast?" Oh, it is a struggle not to show what it can do. This year I plan to have my big blue bucket with Hotwheels in it for free (one per kid) at the shows. I've collected quite a bit of Hotwheels- It is where I got my start. So when you throw the keys to your nephew next time, watch how big the eyes get and the smile gets

We need more like you on this planet.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been told by what seems like 50 people, that they owned, had parents who owned or a friend owned a silver 5th Ave, like my ’86.
I think the only comment I’ve gotten on it - is how good condition the car is (not yet 70k miles).

Sense I purchased my ’77 Volare wagon, I get comments almost every other day that I drive it.
The 3rd day I drove the wagon, I was in a drive thru getting lunch. A guy from the counter saw the car, gently pushed the attendant servicing me aside and give me a fist bump for having such a cool car (my first fist bump from, um, anyone – and in drive thru, even).

My 3rd grade twins (a boy and girl) both like it, mainly because it has a bench seat and they can sit by me. They are both rubbing their hands and scheming which one gets it when they get older (hehe, boy are they in for a surprise . . .).

The kids have been steering the car once we get on our property – which has about ¼ mile gravel road before we snake around to my house. My pickup is a standard so shifter gets in way, the 60/40 seats in the 5th Ave don’t accommodate a middle person very well nor does console in minivan.

Note: I have a collection of 4000+ Hot Wheels, and have been slowing giving them away. The kids school uses them for achievements and such (been giving them the unopened ones). One teacher uses them for match lessons, I’ve heard.

BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
Bud,
I swear your description is exactly like ours. 1/4 mile from the front gate, gravel road, wind around to the house. Three year olds in the house (course mine are all on 4 feet and bark). But other than that, sounds remarkably similar.

slant6billy

Reaction score
Keep them interested and involved. As in keep them wrenching. Kids are good a taking things apart. A screw driver and some wrenches. Kids got nothing but time. Dis-assembly is the key to seeing how things work. Righty tighty lefty loosey!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Kinda odd, my daughter is interested in going with me to the car shows and somewhat in working on them with me. Son, on the other hand, could care less (for the most part).

These pictures were taken at the National Street Rod Nationals in Oklahoma City not long ago. I had to drag him out there and he kept saying “can we go home yet?”. She wanted to see more, but we ran out of time.

20160409_132348.jpg

20160409_154045.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
Its great that you have them both with you. When I was that age, dad never as in never invited me to any 'guy' activities. Girls weren't encourage to do math, work on cars, fish, shoot... none of that.
Sigh...
I am so glad times have changed. And very glad she has a champion like you.

Whats your son interest in doing?

Back