A/C Delete kit ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1959
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1959

Hi Guys

Since we never experience extreme heat here in Denmark, and the A/C on my 79 LeBaron is not working anyway, I would like to remove it from the car.
I have searched a bit online, and someone mentions a delete kit for this purpose, but I have not found one for my car yet.
I can see that running a shorter V-belt from the crank to the alternator, when the A/C compressor is gone, will be very tight to get past the water pump. Probably for this reason, I saw the delete kit cleverly has an extra pulley in it.
Any advice on how to do this with the best result ?

79.jpg

volare 77

Reaction score
Just get some water pump and crank pulleys from a non a/c car with power steering . Get belts for the same and you should be good to go. No need for anything special. The one groove of the two groove alt pulley should line up fine. The water pump pulley will be single groove and the crank two grooves. One belt goes from the crank to the power steering and the other from crank to water pump to alt. I can`t remember if the alt bracket is the same or not. I can`t tell from your pic. BTW, it makes working on the front of the engine much easier that`s for sure.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1959

OK thanks. It seems pretty straight forward when looking at the engine bay.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You may be thinking about A/C delete kits for newer cars, specifically those with the ribbed belt (a.k.a. serpentine). There's usually a bracket with a pulley that bolts in place of the compressor and you use the same belt and routing. We do this sometimes at work when the compressor goes bad and overheats the pulley bearing, which makes it seize and destroy the nose of the compressor. On cars where fixing the A/C isn't worth the cost (more than the car is worth) we put a delete kit on, when available, to get the car back on the road for the customer.

Aspen500

Reaction score
All depends on where you live, Volare. Toro67 is in Denmark so parts availability might be tougher than it is here. I could be wrong about that though.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There are two different styles of pulley systems and bracket systems – depending on the year car was made.

The newer F and M-bodies (not sure of the change – but will guess ’81 (don’t hold me to that date) all pulleys and brackets were the same on non A/C cars. The newer cars without A/C they made an idler pulley and bracket that bolted in place of the A/C compressor (the C-171 aluminum compressor – but not for the RV2 cast iron version you currently have).
It is a quick easy way to remove A/C on the newer M-bodies (with the idler pulley and bracket).

Now with that said, they made no such item for the RV2 A/C compressors, that I’m aware of. Correction, they did – but only for cars with 100 amp alternators and no A/C – but those setups are very hard to find (less than 0.01% cars were made that way).

One will need to invest in a pulley set (crankshaft and water pump) and a pair of alternator mounting brackets. You might be able to reuse your existing brackets – if you can find washers the exact thickness of A/C compressor mounting brackets are. Reproduction or used parts are easy enough to come by so I recommend to get the correct brackets.

P/S pump and brackets will not be effected.
The existing alternator will work – but one pulley (of the double pulley) will not be used.

The water pump will be the same – unless you use an older water pump or pulley (mentioned before about grinding down one reinforcement (see earlier post)– which is not required in many cases.

Both drive belts will be different lengths.

Attached is pictures of my ’77 wagon, which was born without A/C, to give you an idea of things.
The blue heater hoses are silicone – if you wanted to know (and are not cheap) and are not necessary or recommended for most people.

20170803_114522r.jpg

20170803_114534r.jpg

20170803_114543r.jpg

20170803_114551r.jpg

20170803_114604r.jpg

20170803_114613r.jpg

Note: This car is completely stock – except for drive belts, hoses, filters and so forth. It does have the smaller 22” radiator in it – but I plan on upgrading it to the wider 28” radiator, one of these days.
The only exception to being completely stock, is I did replace the solid 4 blade fan with a 5 blade fan with fan clutch – for better fuel mileage.
Note: the firewall is different between A/C and non-A/C cars, but that shouldn't matter for what you want to do.

The A/C condenser, both pair of hoses and drier can be removed from car. I do recommend making a steel plate the size of the A/C expansion valve, drill a hole in middle of it and paint it – to block off the expansion valve holes. It will look a lot nicer and if you save the parts (to give to new owner) – can increase the resale value of car, as well. The plate doesn’t have to be air tight – but is to keep dirt, debris and bugs out (and for better visual effect),

It might be best to place your parts in a box or plastic bin and place it somewhere safe. They make an item called Cap-Plugs (and other products of the same nature) that will plug the holes of A/C parts – which is important to do. Rust, dirt, bugs, etc. can ruin A/C parts if ports are not plugged.

I wouldn’t mind purchasing many of the A/C parts you are removing – but not really looking towards cost to ship overseas. I even wouldn’t mind swapping my non/AC parts for your A/C parts – but I don’t have plans on making my changeover for a couple of years from now (and currently my wagon is only vehicle in my fleet running at 100% right now).

The two pulleys you will need will look something like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-340-318-Upper-Lower-Crankshaft-Water-Pump-Pulleys-W-P-S-Dart-Duster-Cuda-/332309285153?hash=item4d5f2d4921:g:AmwAAOSwbIRZbi4P&vxp=mtr
This set is a lot more $ than I would spend – but gives you an example to look for.

Note: the bolt pattern on crank pulley changed in ’70. Older no A/C crank pulley will work but one bolt hole is off center. A small grinder (or drill) will fix that one bolt hole (fairly easy modification – that no-one will even know about (sense bolt covers the extended hole) – so year of crank pulley shouldn’t matter. The water pump pulley may look different but as long as pulley diameter and distance from hub is the same – it will work.

The pair of alternator brackets are like this example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-Small-Block-Alternator-Bracket-340-360-318-1970-up-Dart-Cuda-Challenger-/162586550099?hash=item25dae9df53:g:OdcAAOSweuxWSl2J&vxp=mtr
The brackets are a lot simpler and the arch is different between no A/C and A/C. They make chrome brackets – but in my opinion, they look out of place on an M-body (it’s your car so if you want chrome – they go for it).

To recap:
The P/S is not effected,
The water pump is not effected – except for some pumps might need to have a reinforcement ground down slightly.
The alternator will work – but one grove of pulley will be un-used (nothing to worry about).

You will need a pair of pulleys for crankshaft and water pump. Most all no-A/C small block pulleys from mid ‘60’s to ’78 (when C-171 aluminum A/C compressor came out. The pulleys and brackets are different for it). The crankshaft pulley will need to have two groves, one grove for alternator/water pump and other grove for P/S.

It is recommended to replace the alternator brackets - for it but old ones could work with exact size washers (exact size of A/C bracket thicknesses) and a different (weird length) drive belt – which might be hard to determine or locate, there.

I highly recommend fabricating a (and painted) metal plate to bolt onto the expansion valve after you remove A/C hose from it.

Removal of A/C parts.

Your existing wiring harness will be fine as is. Just leave the unused wiring harness connectors disconnected.

You’re done.
BudW

Last edited:

80mirada

Reaction score
There was a belt that was available that bypasses the A/C compressor. Western Auto (when they still exsisted) listed it, that is where I got them. I ran A/C pulleys with out the compressor and just ground one of the ribs off the water pump.

Justwondering

Reaction score
My admiration to each of you with such nice looking engine compartments...
its on my list to do in the future.:)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
80Mirada – I now know what you are referring to.
I hadn’t seen anyone do it that way – but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

The pulleys and brackets can all remain the same – just the A/C compressor will not have a drive belt attached to it.

If a person removes the front and rear A/C compressor brackets – then finding some washers the same thickness will be a must, for pulley alignment.

This is a crude picture but will give an idea of what it will look like afterwards.
77 PM 7-12c.JPG

The alternator only needs one drive belt. The A/C compressor needs two drive belts. I don’t know how a person will find out how long a belt will be needed (rope might be a good idea, for rough measurement).

Both A/C drive belts will need to be removed (Red “X’s”) and replaced with a shorter belt. The end result will look like the red line (belt going between crankshaft pulley to alternator pulley).

Then, a person could do one of four (4) things:
- Leave A/C compressor in place.

- Remove A/C compressor but leave front and brackets in place – for now. The A/C compressor brackets that do not attach to front of cylinder head or to water pump/timing cover, can be removed along with A/C compressor (the compressor via two bolts hidden behind the A/C clutch)

- Remove all A/C brackets – but find washers the same thickness as brackets and replace at the water pump and cylinder head – or alternator pulley will not be aligned (front to rear) and will run at an angle (Left to Right).

- Or, get correct pulleys, brackets and drive belts. Would look better - but will also cost more.

BudW

D

Deleted member 1959

Hi guys
Thanks for the comprehensive advice and info (once again) :)
I have now removed the A/C and capped the outlets on the box on the firewall. The fan belt to the alternator can run under the water pump once a little cut is made in one of the fins. It is the same length as the one to the PS, so I already had one in stock.
I have had an offer from my mechanic on a lean-burn conversion including new Holley Demon carb, intake manifold, conversion kit and misc. bolts and gaskets. All in all a whopping $2300. I think I will start by keeping the carb and intake and just get the conversion kit.

D

Deleted member 1959

The metal tube that runs from the right header through a one-way valve to the air cleaner; what is its purpose and can it be removed and blocked off ? I think BudW mentioned a block-off plate for this.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
If you do not have any emissions laws there, then yes, it can be blocked off.

What it does is it pulls air from air cleaner and dumps it (under light vacuum) just behind the exhaust valve.

The idea is the unburnt fuel leaving the engine – only needs some fresh air for all of the fuel to burn off (you have heat present and some remnants of unburnt fuel, the only missing ingredient is oxygen).

Personally – I don’t have any objection to that system being there.
It’s small, simple and doesn’t give much trouble (well, except for removing or installing the air cleaner base).

If you were going to disable it, there is three preferred ways.

One is to remove the ½” head bolt at rear side of exhaust manifold(s) and be careful not to tear the gasket too much (those gaskets are hard to find). Sometimes that pipe only attaches to one exhaust manifold, sometimes to both manifolds. Once the pipe is removed, then take a saw (or tubing cutter) and the cut the pipe a couple inches away from manifold. At that time, you can then pinch the pipe in a vice, or get a piece of metal to weld to pipe, or find a pipe plug and solder/weld onto pipe – then reattach.

Method two is to take the dimensions of the fitting where it bolts to the manifold. Get a piece of steel and cut out a shape somewhat close that size. It doesn’t need to look pretty for no one will see it – but you do at least need to file off the sharp edges. Drill a bolt hole and bolt that plate in place of the pipe. This might require a new gasket.
The factory one is tear drop shaped (round with an ear for bolt hole).

Method three requires the exhaust manifold removal. Remove manifold and use a pipe thread tap to tap threads into the hole. Once done, screw in the plug (there are examples of this already on your existing exhaust manifolds – if you look).

Method four is advisable if using a newer 318 into an older car (or you have older exhaust manifolds that do not have the A.I.R. injection ductwork cast into them). Once the exhaust manifolds are removed, tap the small A.I.R. injection holes (8 holes total) and then screw plugs into those holes (1/4”, I believe). In most cases, the plugs will not interfere with the exhaust manifold(s) but sometimes they do (if so then the plugs can be filed down fairly quickly).
This is best to do when engine is out of car. It can be done in car - but is hard to do. When engine is out - its not a breeze but a lot easier.

I have a couple of the teardrop looking factory plates they use to seal off those holes – but finding them might be fun (not exactly where they are located at, in my garage.
BudW

D

Deleted member 1959

Hi Bud
I Think method 2 is the way to go for me. I already blocked off the EGR valve this way and removed the vacuum amplifier.
Do you know if the carb will work if the lines to the charcoal canister is removed and blocked ?
Yesterday i had it running in idle to check if the changes had made any difference and it cut out twice - just as if the key is turned. So the gremlin is still there...

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The carburetor is calibrated to use the charcoal canister.
I have no disagreement of using the charcoal canister system on the car for it has no detrimental effects on using it (other than it takes up space and adds a bit of weight to vehicle).

The big hose on carburetor is where evaporating fuel vapors travel from and goes into the charcoal canister for storage.
The small hose (base of carburetor) then pulls those fuel vapors out when car is running and burns those vapors off.

It does help fuel mileage – but indirectly. Sense it traps the fuel vapors, then recycles those vapors, there is no loss of fuel, per se. If you allows those fuel vapors to vent into the atmosphere then yes, you can lose a fuel bowl worth of fuel every so often (or in my case, every time I turn off the car when hot). I little bit of fuel here and there does add up to some savings in the long run.

Also, if that small port (base of carburetor) is plugged the air fuel ratio of fuel system is effected slightly (again for worse fuel mileage – but in most cases it is not noticeable).

If you want to remove the charcoal canister, what you will need to do is to:
- Remove the charcoal canister from car.
- Leave the metal line going to rear of car unplugged (or fuel tank will not have any vent and that will cause a lot of other problems).
- Plug the small hose at base of carburetor. Cut the hose about 2 inches, then insert a small screw into hose will work. Remove the remaining small hose from car.
- Remove the large hose going to carburetor and leave carburetor port unplugged (or carburetor will not have a vent and that will also cause a host of other problems).

If working on an older car, I would not go through the trouble of adding a charcoal canister system to a car.
That said, I don’t think it is worth the trouble to remove that system from a car either - for it has more benefits than problems. The exception to that would be for racing (only) car where you do want to get rid of the extra weight.
BudW

Back